North Korea Cutting Food Rations By Almost Half

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...y-almost-half/ar-BBTVxQ1?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

I'm so glad we legitiimized this regime over the past couple of years. I can't wait to see how the WH plays this out. I feel horribly for the people of NK living under this horrible dictator,.

North Korea says it is facing a food shortage for 2019 that will require rations be reduced by almost half for its citizens.

Reuters reports that the country revealed the information to the United Nations in a two-page memo, although the document is not dated. However, the information comes a week before North Korean leader Kim Jong Un meets with U.S. President Donald Trump in Hanoi, Vietnam. The summit will be the second between the two nations.

According to Reuters, the memo says that the country produced 503,000 tons less of food in 2018 as compared to 2017. The country estimates that its food shortage will equal 1.4 million tons in 2019.

NBC News reports that Kim Song, North Korea's ambassador to the United Nations, wrote the memo. Song said the combination of high temperatures, drought and typhoons, as well as sanctions against the country are to blame for the shortage.

The memo, issued from the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), North Korea's official name, urges the United Nations to provide assistance.

“The DPRK government calls on international organizations to urgently respond to addressing the food situation,” the memo says.

North Korea plans to import 200,000 pounds of food and grow roughly 400,000 pounds of crops, but a gap still remains in supplying food for the country. Because of the gap, North Korea said in the memo that it planned to reduce food rations by 10.5 ounces for a "family of blue or white collar workers," going from 1.2 pounds (550 grams) of food per day to 0.66 pounds (300 grams) per day. The ration reductions were scheduled to begin in January, according to Reuters.

According to a March 2018 report from the United Nations, 10.3 million people — nearly half the population of the country — are in need. Of those people, 41 percent are undernourished.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So you feel bad that their people are starving, but don't want them to have normalized relations with western nations?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I want their oppressive dictator to be removed. You think he's cutting his rations in half?

I do too, but you guys can't handle tariffs on China, now you want to risk war with them? Over a nation we have nothing to do with on the other side of the globe?

Jan 25, 2011

Every time I hear tofu i think of this...

FarSide-Tofudebeest1.jpg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Trump got played, and the people of NK continue to suffer under a dictator.

Same ol same ol.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Earth could use an international effort, NATO or UN level, that presents a clear incentivized benefit of trade, even aid, in exchange for the development and maintaining of basic human rights.

Reactions: cytg111

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just curious what has NK done to warrant a 2nd summit?

Any denuclearizing yet? Oh wait a minute, didn't President Dummy proclaim the NK nuclear threat is over??

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is simply them setting the table to sucker Trump at the next meeting. Mark my words he WILL come out of that meeting with food aid of some kind.
How you get played when you are politically desperate for some sort of win. Trump is a national security threat with Senate protection and red state imbecility built in.

Reactions: tweaker2

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
So you feel bad that their people are starving, but don't want them to have normalized relations with western nations?

Sounds like he wants them to continue with their extended suffering so he can use cool insults like "dotard".

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Should have kept ignoring their empty threats, eventually they would self consume themselves in one form or another. Unforturnately, Orange bright boy has to treat Kim dough boy as if he has any legitimacy. Number #1 mistake.