North Colorado, the new 51st State. (Movement is growing)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
When cornered, construct a strawman & fling your own poo in its direction as a gesture of denial.

Examples of States' Rights being anything other than a means of oppression are quite rare.

Well, unless you think that Jim Crow isn't oppressive, or that old white men should determine the extent of women's rights.

Colorado's Amendment 64 is the only example I can think of offhand, something that "conservatives" (authoritarians) fought tooth & nail, something that they will bemoan for all eternity.

How about taxes? Seems like a pretty big states right thing that different states take a much different approach to. Gun laws being another off the top of my head.

Hell if it was like you are implying there would be almost no purpose of state legislatures.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If those southern states are so darn racist then I am sure it would be rather easy to, as part of the deal, have them allow all of those "people of color" to be relocated to another state. I mean if they are as racist as you say they would love to get rid of them and said people of color must be in a much better situation to get away from all of those racist old white guys.... right?

And they should be forced to move, why, exactly?

Don't they have the same rights as everybody else?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
How about taxes? Seems like a pretty big states right thing that different states take a much different approach to. Gun laws being another off the top of my head.

Hell if it was like you are implying there would be almost no purpose of state legislatures.

If you think that some areas of the country wouldn't revert to the States' Rights of old, to Jim Crow, you're delusional.

Guns? Enthusiasts claim that States' restrictions are repressive, and even federal statutes as well.

Taxes? Even now, with very low rates for top earners, federal income income & estate taxes are the only equalizing factor in some states wrt total taxes as a % of income. It's nearly all sales taxes all the time, strongly favoring very high earners whose vast incomes aren't used for taxable items.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
As a fellow Coloradan: It's a swing state. Sometimes it goes conservative, other times liberal. Sometimes your side is in power, sometimes not. Gtf over it.

It's no different than people threatening to leave the country if Obama's elected. Or when Bush was elected. What are we, a nation of whiny 3 year olds? Pick up our toys and leave whenever someone we didn't vote for gets into office for a temporary term?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
As a fellow Coloradan: It's a swing state. Sometimes it goes conservative, other times liberal. Sometimes your side is in power, sometimes not. Gtf over it.

It's no different than people threatening to leave the country if Obama's elected. Or when Bush was elected. What are we, a nation of whiny 3 year olds? Pick up our toys and leave whenever someone we didn't vote for gets into office for a temporary term?
Perspective has no place in the 24hr news cycle.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
historical-texas-maps-01large.jpg

If you understand history, you would understand that a good part of what is now Colorado was once part of Texas.

Prior to that, the same land was part of the Republic of Mexico.

But if you want to make pretend that the current status quo was, and will always reign, that's your decision.

Things change. Though, you are free to cling to the status quo ...

Uno

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
And they should be forced to move, why, exactly?

Don't they have the same rights as everybody else?
What is your solution to racism? Bitch about it constantly? And you haven't answered why you can call certain black people racial remark deleted and not be racist. You've also told us how a black person is supposed to act to avoid being a racial remark deleted. You've also not answered as to what you think acting black is.

You've accused me of not having the "grapes" to admit my supposed racism but you haven't even answered any of these very basic questions. Man up and please answer these simple questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If you understand history, you would understand that a good part of what is now Colorado was once part of Texas.

But if you want to make pretend that the current status quo was, and will always reign, that's your decision.

Uno

One would think that a good conservative would desire to stick to the status quo unless presented with an overriding case for change. No such case has been made for secession in northeastern Colorado.

BTW, the land in question was not part of Texas, as is clearly shown on the map you provided, it came into US possession with the Louisiana Purchase.

Last edited:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Good luck. There was a big movement for the coastal counties to separate from the rest of Mississippi when I was in high school. I think it's an interesting idea, since we're culturally different from northern Mississippi, but I can't see a new state forming from existing states the US for a very long time.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
While I doubt this is going to happen any time soon, it'll happen eventually IMO. Barring some massive exodus from the major cities, we've effectively developed city states. We might as well re-name New York NYC-Albany and Illinois "Chicago".

The issue here is that city culture is massively different from rural and even suburban culture. If the majority of people in a state live in a city, then "abuse of the majority" is inevitable.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Everthing is race with this fucking guy. Are you black? If so are you a racial comment deleted or just a regular one?

What? Wow...

Reposting such things perpetuates their existence here the same as posting them. Use the Report Post function. Several other people managed to find it.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
While I doubt this is going to happen any time soon, it'll happen eventually IMO. Barring some massive exodus from the major cities, we've effectively developed city states. We might as well re-name New York NYC-Albany and Illinois "Chicago".

The issue here is that city culture is massively different from rural and even suburban culture. If the majority of people in a state live in a city, then "abuse of the majority" is inevitable.
The cultures really aren't that different. There are certainly different roles for government in cities versus rural areas but it has always been that way.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
One would think that a good conservative would desire to stick to the status quo unless presented with an overriding case for change. No such case has been made for secession in northeastern Colorado.

BTW, the land in question was not part of Texas, as is clearly shown on the map you provided, it came into US possession with the Louisiana Purchase.

My point stands. Things change.

Neither your logical fallacy nor your use of stereotypes impacts that...

Uno

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What? Wow...

Buckshot is just a little tense, given that he's desperately avoiding dealing with some personal issues around racial prejudice, issues that I brought to his attention.

Obviously, it's all my fault that his inner turmoil has become acute. As a staunch denialist, he'd much rather attack me than deal with it. It won't really change anything, but he seems to believe that it will.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Uno

The Republic of Texas merely claimed a lot of territory they didn't control. The border with Mexico was in continuous dispute until the Mexican American war was over. The borders you offer were never accepted by anybody else. The actual area administered by the Republic of Texas at the time was much, much smaller than the borders of today-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Texas

It was the beginning of a lot of overblown claims by Texans.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001

Uno

Oh yes, please talk to me like I'm an ignorant child, because the fact that territories shift and change is a total revelation to me. :rolleyes:

Clearly missing the ever-fucking point of my post, and putting up a map of the Texan territory from 1845....Jesus Christ...

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
What are we, a nation of whiny 3 year olds? Pick up our toys and leave whenever someone we didn't vote for gets into office for a temporary term?

That's probably an optimistic way to put it. I'd say it's more equivalent to a nation of whiny children crossed with goldfish and dogs. The maturity of a toddler, the memory of a goldfish, and strangely undying loyalty to our political parties and ideology.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
The northern part of Santa Barbara county tried to split off but their income from taxes wouldn't cover their share of the debt so it didn't happen.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
President Polk not only accepted those borders, he purposefully was a dick about claiming those borders to force the Mexican-American war.

Polk didn't have the authority to make it official. Texas wasn't the only reason that the US was itching for war with Mexico, California also being a big part of it. State & territorial borders became official after the war, not before it.

You do realize, I hope, that the reason Texans wanted to break away from Mexico in the first place was slavery, outlawed in Mexico since 1820.

It never was some great & noble cause, at all.

Northern Colorado secessionists don't have a chance of a snowball in hell, but oil & gas interests are happy to fund the squawking, hoping to achieve the usual political blackmail. Rural Coloradans also have a fair number of gun enthusiasts, who freak out at the merest suggestion of any controls at all.