Norquist: Time is right to put ?Reagan on the $10 bill.'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Veramocor
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I don't know about putting him on the 10, but of all the recent Presidents he is the only one worthy of such an honor.

Johnson = Vietnam
Nixon = Watergate
Ford = bleh
Carter = disaster
Reagan = good :)
Bush 41 = great man, eh as President
Clinton = person troubles over shadow everything else
Bush = traitor, war criminal, murderer :thumbsdown: :|

I thought Bush 41 was a decent president. Handled the first Iraq war well, and made the tough decision to raise taxes which helped Clinton balance the budget 4 years later.

Bush 41's biggest life mistake was not rolling over in 1945 and shooting W out the window.

Sorry, but you must be new here. Bush 41 was a Republican, and there is no such thing as a good Republican President on this board.

??? My favorite president of all time is Eisenhower, followed fairly closely by Kennedy.

GHWB was a corrupt jackass who stained the Reagan years with his CIA-inspired antics.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment...but I think that you are being way to kind to Reagan. He was a very willing participant in those dealings and hinted at handling business in that manner way before he became president or even picked 41 as his VP.

To 41's credit though...he was smart enough to know the ramifications of his actions and held back from going into Iraq based on what his life was built around...solid intel. He was also man enough to stand up to the war mongers that he surrounded himself with and made it known that he was the master and not the puppet. Which must explain why 43 likes his mommy better. He couldn't live up to daddy's standards.

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
Like somebody else said.....It's obvious that if any president should be on a bill it's definitely FDR....Way over Reagan....

I'll tell you who I would really like to see on the money and that is Thomas Paine "The Father of the American Revolution"

What they really should do with a bill like the Ten or twenty dollar bill is do a rotating thing like they have done with the dollar coins

Doing a series of them with figures from the american revolution would be awesome and could be done without politics being involved unlike putting Reagan on any money.....can you say (too soon)

Could be pretty cool probably won't happen though because we are basically the wimps of the world when it comes to monetary design....(very little change everything pretty much looks the same kinda mentality)

Just check out a couple of French notes from before they switched to the dolar....freaking beautiful our money is extremely boring by comparison.

Napoleon

other french notes

Veramocor

Mar 2, 2004
I don't know about putting him on the 10, but of all the recent Presidents he is the only one worthy of such an honor.

Johnson = Vietnam
Nixon = Watergate
Ford = bleh
Carter = disaster

I thought Bush 41 was a decent president. Handled the first Iraq war well, and made the tough decision to raise taxes which helped Clinton balance the budget 4 years later.

Bush 41's biggest life mistake was not rolling over in 1945 and shooting W out the window.

Sorry, but you must be new here. Bush 41 was a Republican, and there is no such thing as a good Republican President on this board.

Actually pretty liberal, liked Clinton, voted for Gore then Kerry, got stuck with Bush twice. Main point of my comment was the joke below saying Bush 41 wasn't that bad.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What's amazing is the sheer number of right wing posters that complain on here about how there are no right wing posters.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy

What's amazing is the sheer number of right wing posters that complain on here about how there are no right wing posters.

What's amazing is the sheer number of left wing posters that claim that this board is not full of liberals.

Edit - My original comment was just a joke Eskimospy, don't get your panties in a wad...;)

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Alexander Hamilton was a serious douchebag, so I wouldn't have too much problem with this. I do think Kennedy and Eisenhower are both a MILLION times more appropriate for the next to grace a bill though.

besides from the "ask not what your country..." speech and the whole Camelot thing, what exactly makes Kennedy so great?

people keep bring up Regan and iran-contra but what about kennedy's

bay of pigs
getting us in Vietnam
supporting the Baath Party in iraq
Cuban missile crisis that nearly started a nuclear WWIII

you want to talk about a war monger, Kennedy is at the top of the list.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What's amazing is the sheer number of left wing posters that claim that this board is not full of liberals.

Edit - My original comment was just a joke Eskimospy, don't get your panties in a wad...;)

I only wear them because it's a comfort thing. Don't judge me.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

:camera:'s?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I was just kidding, and you should probably be thankful. I'm a guy, so the pictures probably wouldn't be pretty... hahaha.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

I was just kidding, and you should probably be thankful. I'm a guy, so the pictures probably wouldn't be pretty... hahaha.

:laugh:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Citrix
Alexander Hamilton was a serious douchebag, so I wouldn't have too much problem with this. I do think Kennedy and Eisenhower are both a MILLION times more appropriate for the next to grace a bill though.

besides from the "ask not what your country..." speech and the whole Camelot thing, what exactly makes Kennedy so great?

bay of pigs
getting us in Vietnam

Bay of Pigs was a plan devised outside of Kennedy's administration, and sold by the CIA.

Vietnam, we were already there, Kennedy trickled in more advisors, but overall it was light, and he had plans on the table for removing us from the country, this is all documented. LBJ was the fuckup who truly escalated Vietnam into the infamous debacle.

Every administration has had horribly fucked-up ME policy. That's the one thing I loathed about the Eisenhower years, how it was signed off for the actions in Iran.

Cuban missile crisis? Are you serious? That's the highlight of Kennedy's achievement. I suggest you re-read the surrounding info on that event, I fully believe that if almost anyone else had been in the white house, that it would have ignited into true global war. Go watch 'The Fog of War' to gain some insight.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Kennedy did play one scary as hell game of chicken with Khrushchev though.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

bay of pigs
getting us in Vietnam

Bay of Pigs was a plan devised outside of Kennedy's administration, and sold by the CIA.
The CIA is in the Presidents administration....

Vietnam, we were already there, Kennedy trickled in more advisors, but overall it was light, and he had plans on the table for removing us from the country, this is all documented. LBJ was the fuckup who truly escalated Vietnam into the infamous debacle.
Kennedy sent like 15K troops (advisor's to Vietnam)

Every administration has had horribly fucked-up ME policy. That's the one thing I loathed about the Eisenhower years, how it was signed off for the actions in Iran.
no argument there.

Cuban missile crisis? Are you serious? That's the highlight of Kennedy's achievement. I suggest you re-read the surrounding info on that event, I fully believe that if almost anyone else had been in the white house, that it would have ignited into true global war. Go watch 'The Fog of War' to gain some insight.
there is no way of knowing this for sure. but what is for sure is the russians put the missiles in cuba in response to kennedy putting our missiles in Turkey aimed at moscow. The russians were just returning the favor.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Kennedy did play one scary as hell game of chicken with Khrushchev though.

There's no denying that, but it was something that had to be done. There was no way we could allow the Soviets a first-strike capability less than 100 miles from our shores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6MyB8947NY

I understand this, but the entire incident probably wouldn't have occurred except that Kennedy put some of our first-strike missiles in Turkey first.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hi Citrix, good to see that you don't mind a decent debate.

My point with the Bay of Pigs is that it was on the books before Kennedy took office, he just stupidly signed off on it, trusting the advice of men that he would later learn to loathe.

The advisory role that Kennedy put into Vietnam was also somewhat inherited, but it's granted that he did expand that role. But there is no denying that it was LBJ that put Vietnam into a hopeless catastrophe with his actions in 1965.

Good to hear that someone else understands the FUBAR policies that we've used in the ME, they always have long-term (and even short-term) consequences that are unsupportable on moral, or even strategic, grounds.

On the CMC, I realize that it can never purely be decided beyond a matter of opinion, but in my understanding, I think Kennedy was the right man for the time. Lord help us if it had been LBJ in that seat.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Johnson = Vietnam
Nixon = Watergate
Ford = bleh
Carter = disaster

??? My favorite president of all time is Eisenhower, followed fairly closely by Kennedy.

GHWB was a corrupt jackass who stained the Reagan years with his CIA-inspired antics.

HW Bush's hands are dirty as well, just ask Noreiga.

That being said, Reagan wouldn't have a legacy without 41 following him up to clean up the messes he created. If Bush 41 hadn't raised taxes to clean up S&L, Republicans today wouldn't worship him like Jesus Jr. This cost 41 the election, but he did what he had to do for the good of the country.

For that reason, I hold him in infinitely higher regard than Reagan.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

bay of pigs
getting us in Vietnam

Bay of Pigs was planned and already in motion as defined by Ike.

Getting us into Vietnam? There's a difference between getting and GETTING here, sorry that's on LBJ.

Baath party? Pfft, it was the Cold War, we support whoever doesn't support the other guy and Kennedy certainly didn't give them chemical weapons like Reagan did.

Cuban missile crises is as close as the world has ever come to being destroyed, you think it would have turned out the same if we had W in there? Wrong, cooler heads prevailed and Kennedy made the correct, measured response that was needed to deal with the problem.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Harvey

WTF??? Are you serious? That's exactly what I've been calling him for years while you were defending him.

Did someone whack you up the side of the head with a truth stick??? :shocked:
I was making a parody of you, seems you missed it. Thanks for a good laugh though :laugh:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey

WTF??? Are you serious? That's exactly what I've been calling him for years while you were defending him.

Did someone whack you up the side of the head with a truth stick??? :shocked:
I was making a parody of you, seems you missed it. Thanks for a good laugh though :laugh:
I knew you were kidding as you are one of the staunchest Bush apologists in the forum.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I would love to see the documentation to back up that claim.

There is still an ongoing debate as to what Kennedy would have done had he lived. I don't think we will ever know either way.