Normal CPU operating temps?

joe360

Oct 3, 2004
I have been having issues with frequent freezing while playing Divinity: Original Sin 2. I've uninstalled/re-installed the game and updated video drivers. I've tested the memory with Memtest, with no errors. My next step was to look at operating temperatures. I used GPU-Z, and I noticed that my CPU runs normally in the 40's (C), but within 5-7 minutes of gaming it quickly hits up to 90's. I've never paid any attention to temps before, assuming that the stock fans/heat sinks would be sufficient.

Should I be looking for a new CPU cooler?

I have an i5-6500 non-OC, GTX 1060 6GB, Samsung SSD, Kingston HyperX 8 GB ram

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
You should be checking that your cooler is properly attached.

Maybe go ahead and re-do the cooler thermal paste anyway.

You also want to have good airflow through the case.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, I agree with the above post. Remove the cooler, clean both the CPU cap and base of the cooler. Reapply some good TIM (plenty of resources on the best ones) and then reinstall the cooler; making sure that it is properly secured.

Also check CPU fan settings in BIOS. Auto range is not always adequate.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Sanity checks
1 - make sure your computer has breathing room ( i.e., you don't have it shoved in an enclosed space )
2 - make sure your computer fans are all spinning - is your intake/exhaust fans spinning
3 - clean out all the dust from your machine - your cpu heatsinkfan may be clogged with dust
4 - agreeing with others - verify the HSF is attached properly / maybe a re-install of paste is in order

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If your using the stock cooler and your willing to take it off anyways to check the tim it would be best to just replace it with something better. It's not like it take a whole lot of $'s to get a much better cooler in the end.

joe360

Oct 3, 2004
Awesome, thanks for the help everyone! Removed the heat sink, removed and re-applied new TIM.Now running 30s with normal use and 45 gaming.

Reactions: CuriousMike