Noob: water cooling for under $200 ?

Zim

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2003
I'm currently overclocking a mobile Athlon XP with an air cooler and want to get the cpu temp down with minimal noise (my pc beside my bed). Are there any worthwhile water cooling options out there for under $200 complete? I'm only interested in cooling the cpu.

Pathogen03

Golden Member
May 16, 2004
Oh god yes. $200 is pretty extreme.

Dtekcustoms radiator/shroud = $50 shipped

Pump (a good Hydor)= $50 shipped (max)

Tubing = $10

White Water Waterblock = $50

Thats $160 shipped, and quite a good setup.

EDIT: Im sorry thats vague.

im currently looking at:

www.dtekcustoms.com

Via Aqua 1300 $23
Water Wetter $3.5
Bay-Reservoir $25
Pro120 Shroud/Reservoir $45
Tubing $10
Spir@l Waterblock (maybe 2-3c worse than a White Water, but its very low resistance) $25

Thats about $152, and they have a deal going on where any order over 100 is 10% off.. so thats about $160 shipped.

Zim

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2003
Thanks for the info. Is there anywhere that tells you how to install this stuff? I am most concerned with the mounting of the radiator.

Pathogen03

Golden Member
May 16, 2004
er, radiator is simple. Just put a 120mm fan against the shroud, screw them together, and put it anywhere where there is a 120mm fan slot for the fan to blow air out the other side of the radiator.

Zim

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Pathogen03
er, radiator is simple. Just put a 120mm fan against the shroud, screw them together, and put it anywhere where there is a 120mm fan slot for the fan to blow air out the other side of the radiator.
Ah, I knew there would be a problem. I don't have a 120mm fan slot... or indeed, anywhere where I could put one. I s'pose I could place it outside the case completely.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Zim
Thanks for the info. Is there anywhere that tells you how to install this stuff? I am most concerned with the mounting of the radiator.

Mounting depends a lot on your case. Do you have pictures of it? I cut a case for the first time to get my rad in, and frankly, considering that I was scared to death, it turned out pretty good.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Nice case. My last one was very similar. Can I assume that you don't want to mod it? You may may be able to shoehorn a heatercore into the lower front. Any of your core guys want to chime in on this option? If you don't want to go that way you're going to have to fit two 80mm rad into the twin exhausts in the back, which won't be a bad option in terms of temps.

Zim

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2003
Maybe I could mount it inside the top of the case blowing outwards? I could place it between the PSU and the 5&1/4" drives cage. I'd have to cut a hole in the top, but I have a dremel and have done a similar job b4. That should provide good airflow in thru the bottom-front and out thru the radiator and psu. What do you guys think?

See here: http://www.antec.com/images/400/SX1040BII_inside.jpg

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Zim
Maybe I could mount it inside the top of the case blowing outwards? I could place it between the PSU and the 5&1/4" drives cage. I'd have to cut a hole in the top, but I have a dremel and have done a similar job b4. That should provide good airflow in thru the bottom-front and out thru the radiator and psu. What do you guys think?

See here: http://www.antec.com/images/400/SX1040BII_inside.jpg

There you go! That whould be the best possible option for a larger rad. Depending on the rad you choose, there are templates to be had that will make the cut easier.

Zim

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2003
Another option would be to build an external cooling system. I could have a small case (~6" cube) containing a reservoir, radiator, fan and pump (both powered by an integral psu). I could then run a couple of water tubes into the case via a spare pci slot. There are many advantages that I can see to this approach, including:

1) Minimal impact on my PC case, and easy to move between cases
2) I can position the cooling unit for best cooling and least noise
3) The reservoir can be filled easily
4) I don't have to buy a special reservoir, I could use any water-tight vessel

The only difficult issue I foresee is finding a nice enclosure for the cooling unit. Might be an interesting project. Something like THIS perhaps? :)