NOOB to voice chat for games. What exactly do I need?

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
I have no idea where to begin. Basically I would like to enable voice chat for all current and future multiplayer games (UT2004, Quake Wars, Unreal 3, World in Conflict, etc).

My budget is no more than $75. Is it possible to get a high quality, super-reliable voice chat system set up for this price?

I already have a great set of headphones for gaming. Can I keep these and just use a seperately-bought microphone, or is a "gaming headset" required?

Any "voice chatting for noobs" advice greatly appreciated.

Compnewbie01

Aug 8, 2005
I think all you need is a microphone. I mean most online games have some type of voice chat implemented and a hotkey for talking.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Like Compnewbie said, most online games will have it built-in. For those that don't, there is Roger Wilco. If your sound card supports input, you should have no problem running a chat server, if someone else is not.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: jjones
If you need to run your own server for chat try teamspeak, it's free.

QFT.

Teamspeak > all.> I've used this for EVERY game I have played that has online.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Originally posted by: jjones
If you need to run your own server for chat try teamspeak, it's free.

QFT.

Teamspeak > all.> I've used this for EVERY game I have played that has online.

Yea teamspeak is good, if that doesn't work for you try Ventrillo.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
I didn't like Teamspeak because of the weird interface, was kind of laggy. Ventrilo gets my vote.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
I prefer Teamspeak for the cross-platform compatibility, have used/hosted TS with many different games over the years, and still use TS almost daily. Using the built-in voice chat some games offer is fine, but you may have to set up different chat keys for each game. Using a standalone chat program will (theoretically) only need to be configured once.

Headsets are definitely preferred, though if you must use a mic with speakers then mute the sound while talking (can be configured in TS, is default config in some games).

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Another Ventrilo supporter. I like TS's overlay feature but that's about it. As far as gear goes a nice stand alone mic and a good pair of headphones is all you need unless you want everyone listening in on your voip chat.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
As far as microphones are involved, can anyone suggest a good one, that doesn't include a headset? (I'd like to use my existing headphones) Also, are there any that have a stand of some sort?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: TBSN
As far as microphones are involved, can anyone suggest a good one, that doesn't include a headset? (I'd like to use my existing headphones) Also, are there any that have a stand of some sort?

I can't really suggest a good one, but you shouldn't need anything fancy. One of those mics you get with a oem computer would work fine. They can be bought for under $7. You're not transmitting hifi sound, so as long as it works any mic will do.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006

I think the only thing wrong with that is it will annoy anyone else on your server since they will get the game sounds from you speakers when you use the mic. Personally, I think headphones are better. you can hear so much more like people sneaking around trying to knife you.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: uli2000

I think the only thing wrong with that is it will annoy anyone else on your server since they will get the game sounds from you speakers when you use the mic. Personally, I think headphones are better. you can hear so much more like people sneaking around trying to knife you.

I assumed he'd be using headphones with that. With careful setup you can use open speakers and a mic though. I had a clan match a few weeks ago, and I couldn't get my headphones working. I used my 5.1 speakers, and a mic. Once I got the setup tweaked, everybody said it sounded fine. I think that's the way I'm always going to run it for matches. I have a hard time using headphones. The positional sound isn't as good as my 5.1 speakers, and I find headphones uncomfortable to wear. Mine are cheap ones for sure(a set of Logitechs that came with UT2k4), but I don't think that good ones would even beat my 5.1 speakers.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: lxskllr
Originally posted by: uli2000

I assumed he'd be using headphones with that. With careful setup you can use open speakers and a mic though. I had a clan match a few weeks ago, and I couldn't get my headphones working. I used my 5.1 speakers, and a mic. Once I got the setup tweaked, everybody said it sounded fine. I think that's the way I'm always going to run it for matches. I have a hard time using headphones. The positional sound isn't as good as my 5.1 speakers, and I find headphones uncomfortable to wear. Mine are cheap ones for sure(a set of Logitechs that came with UT2k4), but I don't think that good ones would even beat my 5.1 speakers.

Set your talk key as a mute toggle for your speakers and you'll be fine. :)