Noob iPod question

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I bought my Mom a Nano for Christmas and I was planning on filling it up with tunes before giving it to her. I then started to recall a problem with getting files off an iPod (I haven't had one for several years and I only had it for a few days because I hated it).

So my question is, if I load up the iPod on my PC, will she be able to plug it in and have the music dumped onto her computer? Back in the day I had to use 3rd party software IIRC, but I would think they would have fixed this by now since every other MP3 player I have tried allows you to transfer songs back and forth without a problem.

Thanks! :)

KT

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Good stuff, thanks guys. :beer:

Amazing they never made this easier. I guess that's Apple for you.

KT

minime72706

Sep 7, 2004
You can do it with just itunes fairly easily. You just need to view hidden files and locate the music files on the ipod. They will have random file nams, but are mp3/m4a ot whatever. Copy that whole folder to the desktop and import it into itunes with the option to organize library. This will rename and sort all the files. Then you just delete the folder on the desktop. You just need to make sure itunes is not running when you plug the ipod in. If it syncs it will deleted the music. I think its fairly straight forward, but it may just be that i've done it to many times.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Good stuff, thanks guys. :beer:

Amazing they never made this easier. I guess that's Apple for you.

KT

It's just because they don't want you taking music you didn't pay for from your friend's iPod. They inconvenience you for the sake of the RIAA :frown: