Nonfiction books worth reading

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
Anyone know of some books that are interesting to read, and basically discusses all the cynicism and mysteries that exist in this great world we live in?

Or does anyone know of a good sports history book, preferable about baseball?

I'd prefer it to be the type of book that one could pick up at the library..

woodly6

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
A book by Henry Rollins named Pissing in the Gene Pool is pretty good for that cynicism you are looking for.

Baseball sports history: HMMMMM How bout Joe DiMaggio : The Hero's Life

:D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Not really cynical(though cyclical), but Oswald Spengler's The Decline of the West is a great, although very involved, read that examines history and attempts to find similarities between the birth and death of civilizations. It also examines how a civilizations religion, science, architecture, and other societal aspects interact and even determine how the other aspects develope. Very excellent read for anyone curious about history.

Sophia

Apr 26, 2001
I'm currently reading Steven Pinker's How the Mind Works, for what it's worth.

RaoulDuke

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
god there's TONS. If you want to read a good autobiography read Miles - The Autobiography (miles davis autobio) it kicks ass. There's tons of books i could list, but i think each person should discover books for themselves.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
I suggest "Brave New World Revisited" by Huxley. It discusses the methods used in BNW, and talks about how they could be implemented in todays society (albeit 'today' was in 1954). Excellent on how brainwashing, subliminal forces, and propoganda all work undetected in a society such as BNW.