NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 779 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yes, that would be nice. But the FDA cannot approve anything that hasn't yet been submitted for approval. That is like me asking you to approve my next request that I publicly make here for you. Will you do that?

Omicron specific vaccines should be submitted to the FDA around September, give or take a month.

Vaccine makers have designed and tested a number of versions which show better efficacy against Omicron but nobody is beating down the FDA's door until they decide on a vaccination strategy. The Europeans are already contracting for multivalent vaccines to cover them in the fall.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
WV has 9 pediatric confirmed cases hospitalization, 4 in ICU and 2 on vent.

I think were about to see an explosion in cases. Things are ramping up as the school year is ending. The little ones are going to get covid and travel all over the US on vacation.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
WV has 9 pediatric confirmed cases hospitalization, 4 in ICU and 2 on vent.

I think were about to see an explosion in cases. Things are ramping up as the school year is ending. The little ones are going to get covid and travel all over the US on vacation.
6 weeks ago my wife's company had 7 positive cases for all the doctors offices in a week. 3 weeks ago it had risen to 33 positive cases. Last week, 90 new positive cases. They reinstated mask requirements.

A number of people in my office have family members that are sick with it...so they're quarantining and I distributed laptops today to those that needed them. Hopefully this will blow by in a month or so. This is probably that BA2 variant.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I am so sorry Geekbabe. I know how hard you try to remain safe. Hopefully you will be lucky to have no worse symptoms than you currently have. Would any of the monoclonal or pill treatments that have been approved for helping keep at risk patients out of the hospital be appropriate in your case?

I know we're all keeping our fingers crossed and sending good thoughts your way. You are so strong. This is just one more hill to climb. You can do it.

Dec 10, 2005
Please ask your doc about paxlovid asap. It's one of the few effective treatments for current strains, but must be started within 5 days of symptom onset.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
A bit of GOOD news.... Connecticut 7-day rolling positivity rate has dropped again to 11.77%.

Still 379 hospitalized state-wide BUT only +1 serious case.

(Lets hope the holiday weekend doesn't put the kibosh on this!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
@Geekbabe
It may be a bit late, but some dietary changes during your period of symptoms may help. Wild fatty fish like salmon, sardines, or mackerel.

Dec 10, 2005
Thanks! So far, only mild, but we're only maybe 2 days from exposure. Hoping my adventures in what was presumably omicron in January provide some additional protection.
This second round of COVID has not been fun so far. Symptoms have progressed faster than when I previously had it. Hoping it'll just pass like a bad cold though.

Reactions: BudAshes

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Just back from my vacation to the midwest, my county was at just over 10% positivity when I left, eight days later, it's just under 20%
I was staying in a hotel, masked up anytime I was in the hotel outside of my room, but not for my jam session or the wedding rehearsal/wedding. Mask on the entire time in the airport/on the plane too. Feeling fine so far, but I guess I may take a test today for confirmation.

Dec 10, 2005
This second round of COVID has not been fun so far. Symptoms have progressed faster than when I previously had it. Hoping it'll just pass like a bad cold though.
Been feeling a lot better since Friday - basically only needing an expectorant during the day and a cough suppressant at night. However, my antigen tests are still coming back positive at day 6 (day 0 being Monday - first day of symptoms/testing positive), so it seems like further isolation is in store. Somehow, my wife has completely avoided an infection.

Reactions: nakedfrog and K1052

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
A bit of GOOD news.... Connecticut 7-day rolling positivity rate has dropped again to 11.77%.

Still 379 hospitalized state-wide BUT only +1 serious case.

(Lets hope the holiday weekend doesn't put the kibosh on this!)

May was a rough month. Some of my clients had 1/3 of their staff out. It seemed to switch from the coughing/exhaustion variant to the GI-issue variant. On the flip side, it seems like there are far less severe effects & the lung issue doesn't seem so bad anymore. Crazy how this virus has evolved over the past couple of years!

Reactions: Captante
Dec 10, 2005
Been feeling a lot better since Friday - basically only needing an expectorant during the day and a cough suppressant at night. However, my antigen tests are still coming back positive at day 6 (day 0 being Monday - first day of symptoms/testing positive), so it seems like further isolation is in store. Somehow, my wife has completely avoided an infection.
Day 10 - still coming up positive. What's particularly annoying is it's unclear what that means for contagiousness - can I get someone sick? Either way, if I do venture out of my apartment, I wear a KN-95 in the hallway.

According to a new analysis of people who sought repeat testing at a California site during the Omicron wave, an estimated 71 percent were antigen-positive four days after their symptoms appeared or after they first tested positive for the virus. That percentage declined over the following days, but an estimated 20 percent were still positive on Day 11, according to the study, which has not yet been published in a scientific journal.

If that analysis is accurate, I may be one of the 20%... :(

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Day 10 - still coming up positive. What's particularly annoying is it's unclear what that means for contagiousness - can I get someone sick? Either way, if I do venture out of my apartment, I wear a KN-95 in the hallway.

If that analysis is accurate, I may be one of the 20%... :(

It was 11 days of testing positive for me. 12th day I was good to go!

Reactions: Brainonska511

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I hope I don't have it. Woke up Sunday with a sore throat which lasted most of the day. Woke up yesterday with it much worse and a congested cough. Mostly went away but still felt off. Today I have a minor sore thorat but still feel some congestion.

Been testing myself each morning since Sunday and all negative results. Hopefully it's a sinus infection or just from the insane pollen levels over the past week.

Reactions: balloonshark

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Still not over...

According to research published in Science on Tuesday, natural infection with Omicron doesn’t produce a strong immune response, regardless of whether scientists look at antibodies or T-cells – meaning that people who have already recovered from an Omicron infection can quickly become reinfected. The findings, from Prof Danny Altmann at Imperial College London and colleagues, may help to explain why infection levels have remained high in countries such as the UK, despite so many already having been infected with it.

Potentially more bad news...

According to preliminary data from Kei Sato at the University of Tokyo and colleagues, BA.4, BA.5 and BA.2.12.1 may have evolved to refavour infection of lung cells, rather than upper respiratory tract tissue – making them more similar to earlier variants, such as Alpha or Delta. The propensity of earlier Omicron variants to prefer infecting non-lung tissue may be one reason why infections tend to be milder in most people.

“It looks as though these things are switching back to the more dangerous form of infection, so going lower down in the lung,” Dr Stephen Griffin, a virologist at the University of Leeds, said.

Sato’s experiments indicate that BA.4, BA.5 and BA.2.12.1 replicate more efficiently in human lung cells than BA.2, while further experiments in hamsters suggest that BA.4 and BA.5 may cause more severe disease.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Still not over...
Just keeping an eye on case rates in my county is pretty clear evidence of that. We're not back to Omicron levels yet, but still higher than any other point excluding the massive Omicron spike.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There was talk after 2nd booster for mRNA vaccines were approved that another (i.3. 3rd) booster might be coming in the fall. I think I heard talk that that booster would (might) be tweaked for new variants, whereas the others were just the original shot (although Moderna's boosters were 1/2 dose). Have there been further developments?