NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 770 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if there is undercounting of the certain more disadvantaged groups. Testing is not convenient and takes time and money to go to a site. If one isn't feeling like crap, people aren't going to spend the resources to get tested these days due to gas prices. Just based on how travel by bus in my county is not the most convenient and even with a car, those 6-8 mile round trips add up.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Yeesh.. if you wanted an estimate of just how massive Chromebooks were the past two years, here you go. Basically the whole chip shortage was caused by US Schools buying tons and tons of Chromebooks. It's not just the processor, there's several other chips that go into a laptop.

Things should be getting better soon at least.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

Yeesh.. if you wanted an estimate of just how massive Chromebooks were the past two years, here you go. Basically the whole chip shortage was caused by US Schools buying tons and tons of Chromebooks. It's not just the processor, there's several other chips that go into a laptop.

I think it's more than just that, we can't find parts that I really doubt would be used in laptops. We also have companies telling us it's going to be like this for at least a couple more years so not sure we're almost out of it.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

The influx of Chromebook orders certainly didn't help the chip shortage, but it was one of many factors. You also had the launch of the Playstation 5 and XBox One X/S, automakers adding Apple CarPlay/Android Auto compatible infotainment systems across their entire product lines, and crypto miners ordering GPU's by the truckload direct from the manufacturer. Add manufacturing line shutdowns and port closures due to COVID, and you have a perfect storm for a supply chain meltdown.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
FDA just approved a breath test that gives results in 3 minutes:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
FDA just approved a breath test that gives results in 3 minutes:

Smells like COVID! Oh wait, I don't smell it anymore.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
About the size of a piece of carry-on luggage. Not something we’re likely to be using at home.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Connecticut 7-day "rolling" Covid positivity-rate still creeping upwards every time I look @ 6.51%.

Perhaps more significantly +44 serious cases newly hospitalized. (161 total)

:(

Just because everyone REALLY REALLY REALLY wants the pandemic to be over does NOT mean that it actually is.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Connecticut 7-day "rolling" Covid positivity-rate still creeping upwards every time I look @ 6.51%.

Perhaps more significantly +44 serious cases newly hospitalized. (161 total)

:(

Just because everyone REALLY REALLY REALLY wants the pandemic to be over does NOT mean that it actually is.

But if we take off our masks & ignore it, it doesn't exist anymore! :p

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
1oh2q6.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Here in Denmark it is like Corona is already in a distant past.

Your country is still reporting approx 280 positive-tests daily, 18+ people per day are still dying.

Under any other circumstances that information would be pretty dang scary it's just that we're all numb from 2+ years of this.

:oops:

To be fair however Covid IS trending down at the moment in Denmark which is great news! (better then the US can say!)

Reactions: nakedfrog

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Mask usage is now super low at retail stores I frequent. I went to the Braves game last week, and I saw zero masks there. Probably close to 50k people at the stadium, and I didn't spot a single mask. People have moved on from covid.

That said, my sister got covid. She received the first 2 Moderna shots but not the booster. She just spent a week down in Orlando at Disney World and Universal with her kids so she likely got it while she was down there. Or she might have gotten it at the Braves game. She has Braves season tickets and went the day after we went so we weren't together.

But people have moved on from covid fears. People are not scared of omicron no matter how contagious it is.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
People "moved on" from it long, long ago, but it turns out one's feelings on covid don't really provide effective protection in and of themselves.
True but it's looking like masks and vaccines are not providing much protection on whether people get omicron or not.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There are definitely mask wearers around here, but they are solidly in the minority. Went to a MOTH story hour in the last week, I'd say maybe 20% had masks on. Tonight going to a concert, will see how that goes. None of my party is planning on wearing a mask.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah don't mind the music lol. Not sure what's with that trend either.

It's just too bad that China doesn't have their own trucker movement to bitch about for a bit and declare that they have solved the covid problem for everyone. I hear that has worked before.

Reactions: nakedfrog

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Mask usage is now super low at retail stores I frequent. I went to the Braves game last week, and I saw zero masks there. Probably close to 50k people at the stadium, and I didn't spot a single mask. People have moved on from covid.

That said, my sister got covid. She received the first 2 Moderna shots but not the booster. She just spent a week down in Orlando at Disney World and Universal with her kids so she likely got it while she was down there. Or she might have gotten it at the Braves game. She has Braves season tickets and went the day after we went so we weren't together.

But people have moved on from covid fears. People are not scared of omicron no matter how contagious it is.

covid don't care that "people have moved on from it." You might find that out, soon....

Reactions: Captante