NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 751 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not sure why people are getting pissy now. Grown man-babies blubbering about their freedom is exactly what they asked for.

Don't forget about the ones wearing swastikas at the protest, or the ones harassing homeless shelter staff for free food

Only the best people.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
00a02f39ad4fac655b1cea7baf10cdbf.jpg

This used to be Americans' idea of a hero. No wonder we're messed up.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that's Roy Rodgers.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Well, I don't know, to be honest haven't paid a lot of attention to how much protection or not you get from an infection, but have skim-read various claims that it's as good or better than being vaccinated (but personally would far rather just get the vaccine than go through that and take that risk, so never really looked into the question). But that still leaves the issue of just how badly is the US vaccination program going that the thing is still raging away to this extent? Will people please just get jabbed and get this over with.
The US vaccination program is crap. Not necessarily due to lack of availability, but due to resistance on social media and entertainment "news" sites. Another major hurdle was that 7% of the population is under age 5 and can't even get vaccinated yet. That seems like it might change soon.

We can all get jabbed, and move on by the end of March*. Or like people in this thread, we can stubbornly be opposed to things like the clock moving forward and just insist we go back, and instead extend this pain forever.

* Edit for killster1: "all" as in all in the US. It could also be extended to countries that also have people in this thread who generally live in the US, Canada, and Europe. This comment was intended to be fully vaccinated by the end of March, not just a single shot. It is also intended to apply to the previous paragraph where it seems like young kids might be able to get vaccines soon. 100% vaccination rates are impossible. Some people are allergic to the vaccine carrier and other people are immunocompromised where the vaccine will be ineffective. I have previously and recently mentioned in this thread that 90% (give or take a percentage) as a good enough goal to really return to normal [posts 18,633 and 18,635].

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. You're an obstinate ignoramus in this area.

Study this, digest and understand this, or STFU:

why are you so angry and calling names? why does everyone resort to name calling instead of just stating your point and moving on?

The US vaccination program is crap. Not necessarily due to lack of availability, but due to resistance on social media and entertainment "news" sites. Another major hurdle was that 7% of the population is under age 5 and can't even get vaccinated yet. That seems like it might change soon.

We can all get jabbed, and move on by the end of March. Or like people in this thread, we can stubbornly be opposed to things like the clock moving forward and just insist we go back, and instead extend this pain forever.
so if everyone on earth was rounded up and given one vaccine dose the virus would cease to exist? that is your professional opinion?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
so if everyone on earth was rounded up and given one vaccine dose the virus would cease to exist? that is your professional opinion?
I specifically mentioned the US (not the world). The US is prepared to do this. I said the end of March which gives times for multiple doses (not just a single dose). And not said in that post, but said a few posts back, we need to get to 90% vaccination to return to normal. https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/non_political-china-coronavirus-thread.2575795/post-40686267

The virus will certainly not cease to exist. But it will be diminished enough to be manageable at that point instead of eternal lockdowns, major outbreaks, overrun hospitals, etc. That is my professional opinion.

You seem to be pretty good at incorrectly putting words into other people's mouths.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

We can all get jabbed, and move on by the end of March. Or like people in this thread, we can stubbornly be opposed to things like the clock moving forward and just insist we go back, and instead extend this pain forever.

Most children who are already eligible haven't received even one dose of the vaccine. Once the under 5s get their chance I'm calling it good especially in light of growing access to antiviral pills over the next couple months. If the unvaccinated want to die then I really don't care anymore and the rest of us should move on with life.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
why are you so angry and calling names? why does everyone resort to name calling instead of just stating your point and moving on?
I'm tired of being factual and ignored. He's shown zero willingness to examine his unsupportable beliefs. He deserves nothing short of derision at this point. A reading of the recent responses by others (not just myself) to his recent posts should make this clear to you. It's that simple. No need to ask me why I or others are angry with him. We are entitled to our emotions.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I specifically mentioned the US (not the world). The US is prepared to do this. I said the end of March which gives times for multiple doses (not just a single dose). And not said in that post, but said a few posts back, we need to get to 90% vaccination to return to normal. https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/non_political-china-coronavirus-thread.2575795/post-40686267

The virus will certainly not cease to exist. But it will be diminished enough to be manageable at that point instead of eternal lockdowns, major outbreaks, overrun hospitals, etc. That is my professional opinion.

You seem to be pretty good at incorrectly putting words into other people's mouths.

actually you didnt say US, you just said that the US is crap bla bla.. so maybe you should be specific if you are using the term "we can all get jabbed" and want to be offended if someone doesnt know exactly what you are speaking of. What is your profession since this is your professional opinion.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I'm tired of being factual and ignored. He's shown zero willingness to examine his unsupportable beliefs. He deserves nothing short of derision at this point. A reading of the recent responses by others (not just myself) to his recent posts should make this clear to you. It's that simple. No need to ask me why I or others are angry with him. We are entitled to our emotions.
i think it is OK for him to have a opinion different than mine and yours, you can be angry but why do you feel the need to call names? (i dont even understand why it would make you angry, are they important to you enough for you to care of their opinion?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
What is your profession since this is your professional opinion.
I work in biotechnology, specifically developing PCR equipment and test kits for diseases. Prior to that my background was in modelling of diseases such as tuberculosis, mostly in resource poor environments. I work directly with immunologists and virologists, including one who has a PhD in the coronavirus. I do not specifically work with coronaviruses and the company that I work for does not sell any product specifically for it either.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
i think it is OK for him to have a opinion different than mine and yours, you can be angry but why do you feel the need to call names? (i dont even understand why it would make you angry, are they important to you enough for you to care of their opinion?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. - Harlan Ellison

I don't care about his opinion, I object to his promulgating falsehoods about the life and death pandemic. Yes, I'm pissed off at him and all the deniers who are making everybody's life worse. I'm just as mad at Joe Rogan and in fact I'm angry at you. Don't be a thick head.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: killster1

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. - Harlan Ellison

I don't care about his opinion, I object to his promulgating falsehoods about the life and death pandemic. Yes, I'm pissed off at him and all the deniers who are making everybody's life worse. I'm just as mad at Joe Rogan and in fact I'm angry at you. Don't be a thick head.
It depends on the locality. You're getting ticked off at people thousands of miles away in separate sovereign states(each of the 50 in the U.S do their own thing) that will not be directly transmitting shit to Berkeley.

Given this variant once again comes of out of the country, was seeded by likely vaccinated individuals, it's makes the case that vaccine equity should be the be greater focus moving forward rather than shoving one more shot with rapidly diminishing returns to scale in terms of doing its job.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It depends on the locality. You're getting ticked off at people thousands of miles away in separate sovereign states(each of the 50 in the U.S do their own thing) that will not be directly transmitting shit to Berkeley.
Airplanes exist.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Ah but misinformation on social media reaches thousands of miles away and does impact local people. Misinformation very well could lead to direct transmission in any location.

Reactions: nakedfrog

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Muse is a crotchety old man at times, but spreading dangerous misinformation gets people killed.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

try to only be mad/worry about the things you can change. We all should be allowed our own misinformed possibly foolish opinions if we want. How does anyone not taking the vaccine make your life worse? just keep taking your vaccines since that is what you can do and can worry about.

Muse is a crotchety old man at times, but spreading dangerous misinformation gets people killed.
who are the ones getting killed in this situation? Does it matter the reason for not getting the vaccine? are the religious folks OK to not get it but the ones that think bill gates is tracking them well they are just dangerous for our society!!!!!!!!!

I am actually with him. i am not anti vax but i am anti mandates unless I live in a communist's country and would expect it.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
How does anyone not taking the vaccine make your life worse?

i am not anti vax but i am anti mandates
Vaccines have a cumulative synergistic effect. The more people that are vaccinated, the more effective they become. Vaccines create a limited supply of antibodies. Your body has a saturation limit of virions that it can handle at any given time. If you are exposed to more virus than the antibodies can handle, then you can still succumb to the disease even if you are vaccinated.

Others not taking the vaccine make our life worse in 2 ways:

1) When people are vaccinated, then they shed fewer infectious viral particles than the unvaccinated. Meaning, if you are vaccinated and you are near a sick unvaccinated person, then you might exceed your limit to fight the disease and get sick. But if you are vaccinated and you are near a sick vaccinated person, then you might NOT exceed your threshold and stay healthy. Ultimately, the more the people that you are around get vaccinated, the less likely you will get sick. We are impacted by those who are not vaccinated because they can overwhelm our vaccine defenses and make us sick.

2) Due to this synergistic effect, vaccines have a critical threshold. Once the population exceeds that threshold, the virus in that area can no longer reliably spread. We just need to cross that threshold and then we can return to normal. People not taking the vaccine are preventing us from returning to normal.

For the reasons above, the more people get vaccinated, the better our vaccines work. The fewer people get vaccines, the worse our vaccines work. If you are anti-mandates, then you are anti-effective vaccines. That has the same end-effect as being anti-vax.

You are basically saying something similar to: you aren't anti-feeding infants but you don't think parents should be forced to feed their infants. The end result is infants die in either case whether you are anti feeding infants or anti forcing parents to feed them. In an ideal world, parents would choose to feed their infants on their own. But, far too many are choosing not to do the right thing.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
who are the ones getting killed in this situation? Does it matter the reason for not getting the vaccine? are the religious folks OK to not get it but the ones that think bill gates is tracking them well they are just dangerous for our society!!!!!!!!!
You're either being incredibly disingenuous or you''re completely lacking the comprehension to understand the statement.

Let me put it a different way. If I convince someone that there is nothing wrong with, say, heroin, and they then use that knowledge to shoot up, get addicted, and perhaps overdose, did not the misinformation I spread put their life in danger?
I am actually with him. i am not anti vax but i am anti mandates unless I live in a communist's country and would expect it.
Oh, I see. You're being disingenuous, since I said nothing about mandates at all, and certainly didn't bring a political system into it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Vaccines have a cumulative synergistic effect. The more people that are vaccinated, the more effective they become. Vaccines create a limited supply of antibodies. Your body has a saturation limit of virions that it can handle at any given time. If you are exposed to more virus than the antibodies can handle, then you can still succumb to the disease even if you are vaccinated.

Others not taking the vaccine make our life worse in 2 ways:

1) When people are vaccinated, then they shed fewer infectious viral particles than the unvaccinated. Meaning, if you are vaccinated and you are near a sick unvaccinated person, then you might exceed your limit to fight the disease and get sick. But if you are vaccinated and you are near a sick vaccinated person, then you might NOT exceed your threshold and stay healthy. Ultimately, the more the people that you are around get vaccinated, the less likely you will get sick. We are impacted by those who are not vaccinated because they can overwhelm our vaccine defenses and make us sick.

2) Due to this synergistic effect, vaccines have a critical threshold. Once the population exceeds that threshold, the virus in that area can no longer reliably spread. We just need to cross that threshold and then we can return to normal. People not taking the vaccine are preventing us from returning to normal.

For the reasons above, the more people get vaccinated, the better our vaccines work. The fewer people get vaccines, the worse our vaccines work. If you are anti-mandates, then you are anti-effective vaccines. That has the same end-effect as being anti-vax.

You are basically saying something similar to: you aren't anti-feeding infants but you don't think parents should be forced to feed their infants. The end result is infants die in either case whether you are anti feeding infants or anti forcing parents to feed them. In an ideal world, parents would choose to feed their infants on their own. But, far too many are choosing not to do the right thing.
This is also not taking into account unvaccinated people consuming additional limited resources in the healthcare system. Like I mentioned yesterday, even in a state with nearly 80% vaccinated/72% fully vaccinated, one third of our hospital beds have a Covid-19 patient in them. The willfully unvaccinated do not live in a vacuum (but they do suck).