NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 745 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
It isn't solved (for us, at any rate), everyone who isn't the active player mutes, and you play/sing along with them yourself. So it's obviously a poor substitute for an in-person jam.
Wasn't expecting that! Seems like one more word, "jam", has been redifined.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I haven't come up with something I enjoy more than concerts because there's not really much I enjoy more than concerts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's not a thing that can just be replaced, same with getting together with a random assortment of musicians and jamming. I've attended virtual concerts, and virtual jams.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about my situation, I've got lots of things to do, and I do them, but the suggestion of "learn to enjoy something else more" is kind of hollow.
I do often come off as harsh or hollow. I'm very to-the-point. Sorry about that.

But people's attempts to find replacement activities have often been hollow too. I was responding to someone saying "without doing much of anything, which is far more than most of our family/friends did". Just because one thing you like is not possible absolutely does not mean that you have to do nothing. It is hollow to claim that there is nothing that can be done when clearly there are an infinite number of possibilities out there.

I don't know your exact situation, but I can ask questions. What new instruments have you mastered in the last year? What new music genre's have you learned to play from heart? What new beer strains have you used to brew? What have you tried to replace concerts? Etc.

Reactions: Zorba and Captante

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I do often come off as harsh or hollow. I'm very to-the-point. Sorry about that.

But people's attempts to find replacement activities have often been hollow too. I was responding to someone saying "without doing much of anything, which is far more than most of our family/friends did". Just because one thing you like is not possible absolutely does not mean that you have to do nothing. It is hollow to claim that there is nothing that can be done when clearly there are an infinite number of possibilities out there.

I don't know your exact situation, but I can ask questions. What new instruments have you mastered in the last year? What new music genre's have you learned to play from heart? What new beer strains have you used to brew? What have you tried to replace concerts? Etc.

Again...I have clarified...more social activities. We've not just been held up in our fucking house for 2 years.

Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
No. That should be a choice 100%. But we also should not stop the world for the unvaccinated. If they choose to not get it, and put themselves at risk then they took that chance. Those who are quadruple vaxxed and triple masked and still scared of the unvax are free to take precautions themselves but vax or unvax everyone should be allowed everywhere, to have a job etc... In fact we need stronger laws for medical privacy. It should be illegal for any organization to ask for vax status for anything. Get rid of the social credit/vax passport system too.
I would say some filtering would be needed, but moreso about whether a person believes in the threat or not regardless of status. If some believe it is a total fabrication and also doesn't take care of themselves well(like being fat, drinking all the time, etc), those are the ones most likely to cause a strain.

And also a distinction between "virgin" unvaccinated versus those who have had to deal with it, oftentimes because the vaccine wasn't available at the time and one had to deal with it(like me).

Restaurant bans do not matter to me. I wouldn't enter one unless it is a necessary social or work engagement...and I would only order "keto" foods or vegetables prepared in water, not oil, which basically takes out the entire menu.

Firing health care workers for being unvaccinated is more for show than for effectiveness. I delivered pizzas once. Lazy bitches were hired all the time but the market is such that both the company and the employee are beggars and "beggars can't be choosers". The same with nursing. The ones with work ethic will not stay for long because they'll move up to better jobs and leave. COVID is healthcare's "SuperBowl", in the sense that the workload is insane for pizza places on Super Bowl Sunday.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
Any landmarks to hit? Like top of the mouth or really way back towards the trachea/esophagus?
I swabbed as far back as I could get ( triggered a gag reflex) for a few seconds... I didnt have any irritation on the roof of my mouth but it might not be a bad idea to include that area as well

** edited to add that I've added frequent gargling with Listerine ( usually 5x /day) since shortly after the pandemic started ... It was at least 4-5 hrs after gargling that i swabbed the throat.. probably would not be a good idea to gargle then swab shortly thereafter.
** would also like to add that any phlegm that I was able to cough up was clear/translucent in color .. rather than the usually yellow/greenish color phlegm associated with a common cold rhinovirus

Last edited:

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
I swabbed as far back as I could get ( triggered a gag reflex) for a few seconds... I didnt have any irritation on the roof of my mouth but it might not be a bad idea to include that area as well

Back when i had my 1st PCR test, the nurse swabbed my nose 1st and, as soon as she placed another swab on my throat i coughed VERY violently for the same reason: luckily, she was wearing her "spacesuit" ...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Maybe you missed the part of my post where I said "I've got lots of things to do", and that I'm not complaining about my situation?
I have tried nothing to replace concerts, because concerts cannot be replaced. It's like suggesting you replace your beloved dead relative with another person and learning to enjoy them more than you did your dead relative. That's my point here, about the only things I enjoy about as much as a good concert are sex and LSD (although a nice mountain hike gets pretty close, and yes, I've been doing that). To blithely suggest "learn to enjoy something else MORE than concerts" may imply that perhaps you have a different relationship with concerts, so you fundamentally don't understand.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Maybe you missed the part of my post where I said "I've got lots of things to do", and that I'm not complaining about my situation?
I have tried nothing to replace concerts, because concerts cannot be replaced. It's like suggesting you replace your beloved dead relative with another person and learning to enjoy them more than you did your dead relative. That's my point here, about the only things I enjoy about as much as a good concert are sex and LSD (although a nice mountain hike gets pretty close, and yes, I've been doing that). To blithely suggest "learn to enjoy something else MORE than concerts" may imply that perhaps you have a different relationship with concerts, so you fundamentally don't understand.
You could have been more concise with just saying that you haven't tried.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I have to agree with nakedfrog, I've been doing plenty of stuff but none of it gets rid of the desire to see my favorite bands live, it's just too unique of an experience to replace with some random other activity. I did a lot of virtual concerts too during the pandemic, just not the same.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You could have been more concise with just saying that you haven't tried.
LOL
What, more concise than:
"I haven't come up with something I enjoy more than concerts because there's not really much I enjoy more than concerts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's not a thing that can just be replaced"

Again, I have plenty of hobbies, I play two instruments pretty well, and got two new ones since the pandemic started, I also picked up Gloomhaven, I've done a ton of hiking, I'm not lacking for things to do. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of this:
Yes, concerts for the most part are hard to do safely. There are some limited exceptions (small concerts outdoors). But, that is the thing that I was talking about. Why haven't you come up with things you enjoy more than concerts? You've had plenty of time to do so. There are some things that I've dropped (going to the aerial arts gym for example), but I just added the aerial equipment to my garage gym instead. Do, I miss the real gym experience? Yes. But, I've added so many other things that I honestly don't mind.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Why is france seeing such a massive increase in COVID cases? Half-a-million in one day. Even for omicron that's dramatic. Greater than anywhere else in Europe.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Is this the part in the movie where the characters don't listen to the scientists & the audience yells noooooooo?

1643144828676.png

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Meh, I flew out of the country 4x in 2021 and felt safe every time I did so. The only place I was around a lot of people was the airport but everyone (on my flights) was masked up and behaved and followed rules. Had to live it up a bit in 2021 when things felt they were starting to get better. I was probably more likely to catch rona going to Home Depot than any place I went on those trips, other than the airport.

Then at the destinations I was hardly inside. It was always tropical locations and we're outside 90% of the time including eating meals outside at restaurants that are open air or just have outdoor seating. Thankfully my last one we returned the first week of December, as Omicron was becoming a thing, because I wouldn't be traveling anywhere out of the country just yet, solely due to the fact you have to test positive to come back into the country.

I'm not worried about actually catching it, since I had it almost a month ago, but just worried about not being able to get home lol.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I was hoping we were on the other side of the peak in my county, but it seems not just yet...

12/20-12/26 = 601
12/27-1/2 = 2,216
1/3-1/9 = 3,709
1/10-1/16 = 3,573
1/17-1/23 = 3,899

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
“We are at that point now. We have a number of our hospitals that are operating at crisis standards of care right now,” Hoyer said."

Freedom always has a price.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
When I spoke with my sister today she mentioned that it was 70 days between my 13 year old nephews covid infections. I don't care what age you are. That can't be healthy.
Out of curiousity, is there any indication of which variant, or variants he had?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Out of curiousity, is there any indication of which variant, or variants he had?
I have no idea but Delta and Omicron timing is most likely. As far as symptoms she's pretty quiet when talking about the entire subject since our views are different.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Whatever I had earlier today seems to be fading away; throat irritation reduced. Pulse oximeter had oxygen reading in the mid 90s quite often earlier this afternoon but it seems to be consistently in the 98-99% range. The throat irritation has been reduced. I took an nap of about 1 hour.

I tried an antigen test in mouth but it also came out negative.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

There’s another new variant BA.2 dubbed “stealth Omicron” by the media. It appears to be more infectious than even regular Omicron, but unlike the earlier variant it is harder to detect in lab tests as it has a unique genetic signature. Taking off in Europe and Asia but handful of cases suspected in the US as well.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Trucker vaccine mandates recently kicked in so that could be the cause of empty shelves in some areas depending on which truckers/routes got affected. I stocked up on stuff before the weekend to play things safe, though I've been keeping a rotating stock pretty much since this stuff started. Lot of canned food and nonperishable.

Truckers will be holding a freedom convoy on the 23rd so that should be interesting.

laughing my ass off at the 'Freedom' Convoy, more like a convoy of Karen's , nothing but more right wing gifting

"GoFundMe has frozen the $4 million in funds raised by the trucker convoy now wending its way across the country toward Ottawa in a protest against vaccine mandates.
"We require that fundraisers be transparent about the flow of funds and have a clear plan for how those funds will be spent. In this case, we are in touch with the organizer to verify that information," Rachel Hollis, a spokeswoman for the crowdfunding platform, said in an email.
"Funds will be safely held until the organizer is able to provide the documentation to our team about how funds will be properly distributed."

- Canadian Truckers Alliance support vaccine mandates for truckers. (10% are unvaxxed)

not a grift at all, nope, just freedom loving Canadians!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I just wish the provincial governments slap these guys hard at the provincial borders, there is a vaccine mandate for inter-provincial travel as well.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lol wanting freedom is not really a proper description of a karen. Karens usually love rules and regulations and want to make people's lives miserable with them. The karens are the covidians who want to keep all the mandates status quo and are the type of people that want to push them on others and will freak out over anyone not following them.

The ones fighting for freedom are people who just want to be left alone and have had enough. When you screw around with people who want to be left alone and poke at them long enough, they rise up. That's what the convoy is about.

The media and lot of people have been missrepresenting the cause, CBC even said they are protesting road conditions in BC. lmao. It's hilarious how the media is doing everything to avoid it or even blatantly lying. It's become an ongoing joke. When they do report on it also only skim on the cause. Some people still think truckers are fighting only for themselves because of the vaccine mandates on truckers. Reality is they are fighting for all of Canada. Most of them are actually vaccinated. American truckers are joining in too.

I keep hearing different numbers on how many trucks are actually involved but I do know one convoy was about 70km long. Not sure what the plan is once they arrive, that many trucks cannot physically fit in Ottawa. I presume there will be a handful that occupy parliament hill and don't leave until Trudeau steps down or reverses all the mandates, which is probably not going to happen, so they will be there a long time.

I think this is the official site for the convoy: https://canada-unity.com/bearhug/

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD