NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 741 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
We just hit 25% positivity rate in WV. 1 out of 4 people getting tested are positive. Our health department can't keep up with contact tracing. All our hospitals should be at max capacity by now since data is 1 day behind. This is terrible and we knew it was going to happen. Most didn't do anything to prevent the inevitable. I weep for our species.

Should be fun going to my pre-admission and transesophageal echocardiogram appointments next week.
I just learned how to perform one on YouTube.:coldsweat:

Good Lord. Best of Luck.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I just learned how to perform one on YouTube.:coldsweat:

Good Lord. Best of Luck.
Thank you. I'm not looking up a video since what I don't know won't hurt me lol. I'm more worried about what they might find. They are going to look underneath my artificial heart valve to see if the stenosis (growth narrowing blood flow) their normal echocardiograms have been showing the past several years is actually there. The normal echos had been showing moderate to severe stenosis and the one I got on Aug. 6th was considered severe stenosis (narrowing). If it is indeed bad I meet with a surgeon on 2/1.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Thank you. I'm not looking up a video since what I don't know won't hurt me lol. I'm more worried about what they might find. They are going to look underneath my artificial heart valve to see if the stenosis (growth narrowing blood flow) their normal echocardiograms have been showing the past several years is actually there. The normal echos had been showing moderate to severe stenosis and the one I got on Aug. 6th was considered severe stenosis (narrowing). If it is indeed bad I meet with a surgeon on 2/1.
Any inside skinny on the covid situation at the hospital?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Any inside skinny on the covid situation at the hospital?
As of yesterday 18 in the hospital with 4 of those in ICU. Our hospital is rural so if anything major happens to you they have to ship you off to Morgantown via ambulance or heli.

Also in the newspaper.

"Marsh (our covid tzar lol) said 98% of the children hospitalized with COVID are unvaccinated, and that 40% of these children experienced advanced symptoms that put them in intensive care units. In 29% of the cases, the child is in need of a respirator."

• Wow
Reactions: nakedfrog

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
As of yesterday 18 in the hospital with 4 of those in ICU. Our hospital is rural so if anything major happens to you they have to ship you off to Morgantown via ambulance or heli.

Also in the newspaper.

"Marsh (our covid tzar lol) said 98% of the children hospitalized with COVID are unvaccinated, and that 40% of these children experienced advanced symptoms that put them in intensive care units. In 29% of the cases, the child is in need of a respirator."
I was thinking more like first hand from an employee re covid spread to patients and staffing shortages would be good to know.

Good luck.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I was thinking more like first hand from an employee re covid spread to patients and staffing shortages would be good to know.

Good luck.
Sorry. I don't know. I pretty much keep to myself and avoid social networks. I know they keep hopping when there isn't a pandemic so I'm sure they are stressed. I've heard a few nurses lost their jobs because they wouldn't get vaxxed. When I was in the emergency room Aug. 6th I overheard one of the staff say it was depressing upstairs.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Connecticut daily positivity-rate down to 13.29% today.

1733 people hospitalized with Covid state-wide & 241 deaths in the last 7 days.

• Wow
Reactions: balloonshark

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Sorry. I don't know. I pretty much keep to myself and avoid social networks. I know they keep hopping when there isn't a pandemic so I'm sure they are stressed. I've heard a few nurses lost their jobs because they wouldn't get vaxxed. When I was in the emergency room Aug. 6th I overheard one of the staff say it was depressing upstairs.
Got some lab work done at the hospital, end of December. Asked three people if they were seeing a lot of covid. Same answer. Lots of covid. It really wasn't common knowledge for a couple of weeks. But that is information from them rather than about them.

I know a former nurse, employee of the hospital. Knows the people there. Which doctor to seek-out/avoid. Her husband is a doc. That also helps.

Where do the nurses go to drink after work? Just kidding.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Got some lab work done at the hospital, end of December. Asked three people if they were seeing a lot of covid. Same answer. Lots of covid. It really wasn't common knowledge for a couple of weeks. But that is information from them rather than about them.

I know a former nurse, employee of the hospital. Knows the people there. Which doctor to seek-out/avoid. Her husband is a doc. That also helps.

Where do the nurses go to drink after work? Just kidding.
I asked my male nurse on Aug. 6th if they had any covid cases and he said he couldn't talk about other patients but he said yes, we've been seeing cases. None of medical staff anywhere ask about being vaxxed. It's like some taboo subject. I guess they don't want to fight with people.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
We just got hit, so both my wife and three kids are going to ride it out at home. We've both gotten our 3rd shot, and our kids are 1,3 and 4 so they shouldn't run into to many problems. So far there has only been mild symptoms.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm increasingly unsure what I think about COVID now. I was always instinctively a 'lockdown hawk', and completely against the "herd immunity via infection" idea, that libertarian types kept promoting. But it does seem that omicron has changed the situation. I don't even know what I think about the idea of ongoing vaccine boosters (as opposed to putting the effort into getting the rest of the world up-to-speed on initial shots).

The question I don't know the answer to, is how likely is it that further mutations would produce something as, or more, contagious than omicron, but more lethal? Is there any way to know that? Is it a given that any further increase in infectiousness will involve still milder symptoms?

Is omicron going to be the way that the vaccine-refuseniks finally acquire some level of immunity?

It's partly because I now know of someone nearly 90 who got the omicron variant and got through it in a week or two without needing medical attention. It does seem like it's a very different disease to previous strains. (I mean, I know two friends-of-friends in their 50s who died of previous strains).

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I'm increasingly unsure what I think about COVID now. I was always instinctively a 'lockdown hawk', and completely against the "herd immunity via infection" idea, that libertarian types kept promoting. But it does seem that omicron has changed the situation. I don't even know what I think about the idea of ongoing vaccine boosters (as opposed to putting the effort into getting the rest of the world up-to-speed on initial shots).

The question I don't know the answer to, is how likely is it that further mutations would produce something as, or more, contagious than omicron, but more lethal? Is there any way to know that? Is it a given that any further increase in infectiousness will involve still milder symptoms?

Is omicron going to be the way that the vaccine-refuseniks finally acquire some level of immunity?

It's partly because I now know of someone nearly 90 who got the omicron variant and got through it in a week or two without needing medical attention. It does seem like it's a very different disease to previous strains. (I mean, I know two friends-of-friends in their 50s who died of previous strains).
Hopefully Omicron will leave us all with enhanced immunity, hopefully. Particularly against the next variant. How does that go, about fighting the prior war?

Observing how Omicron has not come from Delta as expected, but nearly out of the blue, really got my attention, In both respects that you mentioned, transmission and lethality. That is just me perhaps, because I don't see anyone sounding the alarm. We will be lucky if we follow the expected trend towards less lethality. No "givens" that I know of.

Luckily, treatments have come a long way. If you are one of the unfortunate that has a tough time with Omicron, mabs may be just what the doctor ordered. Most people are boosted out at this point.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

I would say probably yes (for a few months, at least), but that amount of spreading would also seem to present additional mutation opportunities. I'm not qualified to speculate on what direction mutations are likely to go.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

just amazing at the f%$#ing ignorance of it all, wanting to shoot up a school because her kids have to wear a mask...so hard done by

Wow mentioning guns and schools in the same sentence in a threatening way is probably a very terrible idea.

I do agree it's time to unmask the kids though. Enough is enough.

Trucker convoy to fight against all the mandates is this Sunday, that should be interesting. The fundraiser is at almost a million. Trudeau opened pandora's box by messing with the truckers.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

This was already the case with delta. People now forget the hysteria over delta: as transmissible as measles! Health experts were already saying then that if you're not vaccinated, you'll eventually get infected.

Omicron does change the landscape because of immune escape, but that is balanced by the lower virulence. But again, the delta waves already had proven to us that the unvaccinated were going to acquire their immunity naturally. Especially since they've had a "see no evil" approach to COVID since last summer anyway. The best example of this is the UK's delta surge, which was basically from July to December, and only ended because omicron outcompeted delta.

As for the future, nobody really knows. There is a mild consensus that it's unlikely you'll have a "worse" strain than omicron. It's not impossible, but it would have to be more transmissible to outcompete omicron. But if it's also more virulent, it would kill more people rather than allowing them to go to work and infect more people. :p But people like Dr. Fauci are saying it's too early to declare "pandemic over" because it's hard to predict the future.

Don't be like our resident expert who predicted the end is near, in November 2020:

Reactions: Captante

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Wow mentioning guns and schools in the same sentence in a threatening way is probably a very terrible idea.

Trucker convoy to fight against all the mandates is this Sunday, that should be interesting. The fundraiser is at almost a million. Trudeau opened pandora's box by messing with the truckers.

You never go anywhere anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD and nakedfrog

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Person without kids knows what's best for kids. Getting COVID will only make them stronger. Put your faith in the way you remember facts, not facts as they actually stand. 10 billion is the same as 2 billion is the same as 1 billion.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD and Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Headed to a show tonight at Irving Plaza. Major renovations just finished last year so I wonder if there were any upgrades to the HVAC.

Anyway, need to show proof of vax to get in, but I don't think masks are required. I called ahead to ask about how long it usually takes to get in since it's like under 10 degrees out, and she mentioned it's not sold out, so let's see how crowded it is and how many wear masks. I'll be wearing mine. It's a KN-95 rated mask.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005

Why stop at masks? Why can't we all just go around as naked as the day we were born? How dare there be laws that we cover up any part of our body. So unnatural.

Reactions: Zorba

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Why stop at masks? Why can't we all just go around as naked as the day we were born? How dare there be laws that we cover up any part of our body. So unnatural.

Nobody is asking to go back to thousands of years BC when Adam and Eve were the only people on earth. Just asking to go back to 2019. It's not a lot to ask for.