NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 694 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Unvaccinated are not going around murdering people, that is just being blown out of proportion.
Actually, they are. For example, in Canada you can be criminally charged with spreading a disease if you have a reasonable probability of spreading it:

You have a point, but it is misplaced. You do have the right to jump off a cliff. You alone have the right to choose to protect yourself with a parachute or not when you jump. However, you lose that right if you knowingly have someone at the bottom of the cliff, you still jump, and you land on that person. Your right to choose the parachute or not is lost when it involves other people.

If you choose to put the rest of the world at risk, then please stay home. You are trying to take personal responsibility without personal accountability.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Actually, they are. For example, in Canada you can be criminally charged with spreading a disease if you have a reasonable probability of spreading it:

Which is part of the whole tyranny. It's insane that people can be charged for stuff like that. It's basically a flu and half the time you don't even know that you have it.

• Haha
Reactions: repoman0

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Which is part of the whole tyranny. It's insane that people can be charged for stuff like that. It's basically a flu and half the time you don't even know that you have it.
Obviously knowing you are infected is a predicate for knowingly spreading it, which is what is criminal.

Also, it's not 'basically a flu'. It's never been 'basically the flu'. Simply stating that shows that you're willing to ignore evidence in order to win an argument, which is why your arguments have been compared to religious ones.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Obviously knowing you are infected is a predicate for knowingly spreading it, which is what is criminal.

Also, it's not 'basically a flu'. It's never been 'basically the flu'. Simply stating that shows that you're willing to ignore evidence in order to win an argument, which is why your arguments have been compared to religious ones.

Yeah, if you know you have it, then absolutely it's your responsibility to stay home. Even with colds, it's kind of frowned upon to show up at the office with one, even before covid was a thing. Same with driving, if you are driving and you know you had alcohol, then yeah, that's wrong.

In the case of covid I think the best compromise is mandatory testing. If people don't want the vaccine then they should at least have the choice of 1: getting tested for antibodies or 2: getting tested for the actual virus. That would be a scientific approach instead of the current punitive one of firing and overall shutting people out of society. Though it makes more sense to just get tested for the virus as antibodies (whether from vaccine or natural) do not guarantee you don't have the virus.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, if you know you have it, then absolutely it's your responsibility to stay home. Even with colds, it's kind of frowned upon to show up at the office with one, even before covid was a thing.
Right, and if you're drunk, you also have a responsibility to not drive, not just to protect yourself but to protect others. If you do, you're liable for criminal charges, specifically because you are putting others at risk for great bodily harm or death, just like with COVID.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
No, you're saying it's your choice to put others at risk. Just man up to it and say that. We all know you don't regard your own safety in high regard if you're not going to be getting boosters, but you need to say the words 'It's might choice to put others at risk'. Remember, there's people out there that a) can't take vaccines for medical reasons and b) are immune compromised. You *have* to keep them in mind when talking about protecting oneself.

So go on, say the words.
Immunocompromised are at risk from everything including the flu and common colds long before COVID ever arrived. The vaccinated are not absolved because the virus can still physically leap via breakthrough infection to someone with no immune system.

Uptake would be higher if there was trust that for the few who get whacked with complications, they are treated with care and quietly silenced through good treatment. But they instead are at risk for gaslighting and simply no real relief at all. Those willing to take the vaccine but are unfortunate because they are the real losers. They are not anti-vaxxers and took the vaccine.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Which is part of the whole tyranny. It's basically a flu and half the time you don't even know that you have it.
It is tyranny that you don't have the right to murder people?

Please update your data sets. Why are you purposely using outdated assumptions from early on?
1) You are more than 100x likely to die of Covid than the flu. I personally would not call that "basically the flu". https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2514
2) Those without symptoms are closer to 1/3rd (35.1%), not 1/2. https://www.pnas.org/content/118/34/e2109229118
3) #1 and #2 only account for the FIRST time you get Covid. We are about to see what happens when people get it the second and third time.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

With the vaccine then yes, it's basically the flu, as the vaccine lowers the intensity of it. That's kind of the point.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
With the vaccine then yes, it's basically the flu, as the vaccine lowers the intensity of it. That's kind of the point.
Right, and for those that cannot get the vaccine? Are they just to be cast off from society as simply too much effort?

Also, wasn't your whole fucking argument that we shouldn't be mandating vaccines? If we don't mandate vaccines, any people aren't getting vaccinated, then suddenly it's no longer 'basically the flu'. That's circular stupidity and at this point I'm wondering if you're just purely trolling.

Reactions: pmv

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Right, and for those that cannot get the vaccine? Are they just to be cast off from society as simply too much effort?

Also, wasn't your whole fucking argument that we shouldn't be mandating vaccines? If we don't mandate vaccines, any people aren't getting vaccinated, then suddenly it's no longer 'basically the flu'. That's circular stupidity and at this point I'm wondering if you're just purely trolling.

They need to take better precautions, like they always had. Again, you are too tunnel vision focused on this one virus. There are many other risks out there too including ones we probably don't even know about yet that there is no vaccine for. People with the vaccine are also still able to spread it, the chance is just lower, so either way simply being near people while high risk is dangerous on it's own no matter what. There are various health conditions that can put people in that category and it sucks, but they need to just be more careful.

This is also a good case for making WFH a standard, because many mammals being close together, no matter the species, is ground for spreading all sorts of viruses, so why are we purposely creating crowded situations when we could actually reduce it?

This is also why the focus should be on treatment at this point. It's a fact of life that people are going to get covid. Prevention only goes so far. It helps, don't get me wrong, but on it's own it's not enough. If they really want to make it so that not a single person in the world dies of covid, then start working on treatments for those who get it, because it's inevitable that people will get it. Even if you vaccinate 100% of the population.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
They need to take better precautions, like they always had. Again, you are too tunnel vision focused on this one virus. There are many other risks out there too including ones we probably don't even know about yet that there is no vaccine for. People with the vaccine are also still able to spread it, the chance is just lower, so either way simply being near people while high risk is dangerous on it's own no matter what. There are various health conditions that can put people in that category and it sucks, but they need to just be more careful.
Agreed, let's not make perfect the enemy of good, however.
This is also a good case for making WFH a standard, because many mammals being close together, no matter the species, is ground for spreading all sorts of viruses, so why are we purposely creating crowded situations when we could actually reduce it?
Agreed, I think WFH should be more widespread, and I think people in general should be limiting gatherings. In many places, that was the case until vaccines ramped up, and IMO it should still be in place, but I'm not in control of such things.
This is also why the focus should be on treatment at this point. It's a fact of life that people are going to get covid. Prevention only goes so far. It helps, don't get me wrong, but on it's own it's not enough. If they really want to make it so that not a single person in the world dies of covid, then start working on treatments for those who get it, because it's inevitable that people will get it. Even if you vaccinate 100% of the population.
We can walk and chew gum at the same time. Vaccine mandates should be standard, across the board, for everything we have a vaccine for. We've got mandates for all sorts of things that are a lot less important than protecting your fellow persons, so I don't see why this should be any different.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

This argument might have flown in the beginning of the pandemic.... now however everyone SHOULD be aware of the situation and thus there's no excuse.

Be advised that I do agree with a lot of what you've said in principle, but you lose me when you start saying that you have zero responsibility for other members of society.

Reactions: Muse

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
nope. he's really that dumb about these things. He seems smart about other things, but basic biology eludes him.
Not just biology, he's eager to show his ignorance on many subjects and position himself as an expert based on some bullshit he read or heard somewhere, and present said bullshit as incontrovertible evidence. I kept calling him out on it over the years, and he eventually added me to his ignore list for my troubles :D
Yeah, it surprises me, because I never had him down as a quasi-Trumpist type.
Maybe it's to do with living in an isolated place, a long way from major concentrations of population? I reckon that would influence how you feel about both the threat of an infectious disease, and government attempts to control it.
He's a Canadian with "Let's Go Brandon" in his sig, that kind of says it all.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Don't know how I missed that, but somehow I did.

It's the kind of thing that in some ways you are better off just not knowing .... in the same way that avoiding P&N helps with peace of mind!

:p

9f371f1db903dc370844b22598224788.jpg

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The Squirrel has chosen his future to be a lonely little eco-friendly and green house in the tundra of Canuckistan, which technically pledges allegiance to the Queen.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Not just biology, he's eager to show his ignorance on many subjects and position himself as an expert based on some bullshit he read or heard somewhere, and present said bullshit as incontrovertible evidence. I kept calling him out on it over the years, and he eventually added me to his ignore list for my troubles :D

He's a Canadian with "Let's Go Brandon" in his sig, that kind of says it all.
Who the fuck is Brandon? :rolleyes:

Edit: A search reveals...

"Let's Go Brandon" is a political slogan which has been widely used as a minced oath for "Fuck Joe Biden" in reference to Joe Biden, the 46th president of ...

If that's his thing maybe ignore list fodder after all.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The Squirrel has chosen his future to be a lonely little eco-friendly and green house in the tundra of Canuckistan, which technically pledges allegiance to the Queen.

Hey, where Barbados goes today, maybe Canada does tomorrow (and, I dearly hope, the UK the day after that).

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Hey, where Barbados goes today, maybe Canada does tomorrow (and, I dearly hope, the UK the day after that).

The British Monarchy is a huge tourist attraction. You guys can ill afford losing that revenue after Brexit.

Also I don't get why Rihanna was names Barbado's first national hero.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The British Monarchy is a huge tourist attraction. You guys can ill afford losing that revenue after Brexit.

I dunno, when visiting Versailles I was quite interested to see the spot where Marie Antoinette's bodyguard were hacked down by the Parisian mob. Doesn't seem to me that France lost much tourist appeal because they chopped their Royals' heads off.

Anyway, the current crop of Royals seem to want to keep all the perks while rejecting the duties and obligations (which are pretty minimal anyway).

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Also I don't get why Brihanna was names Barbado's first national hero.
Rhianna did a pretty good job in the business world and did have a music career. I mean, every country celebrates their significant figures these days. Knights are no longer just warriors in armor.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Who the fuck is Brandon? :rolleyes:

Edit: A search reveals...

"Let's Go Brandon" is a political slogan which has been widely used as a minced oath for "Fuck Joe Biden" in reference to Joe Biden, the 46th president of ...

If that's his thing maybe ignore list fodder after all.
If someone is about displaying let's go Brandon proudly I mean that's just sad. I have no time in my life for these kinds of morons.

Reactions: Muse and KMFJD

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Long as we don't foul the tranquil placid waters of OT with the fetid stench of politics.....

;)

Funny-Political-Meme-The-Problem-With-Politics-Is-That-Its-Full-Of-Politicians-Picture.jpg