NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 693 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
FYI if you're able to travel a bit afield you can find doses. Certain maps from around November 4th last year are instructive of where to look.
I concur.... just took a look @ Walgreens and CVS websites in the New Haven and Hartford areas and I could get a booster later this afternoon or tomorrow at any time if I didn't already get one... Moderna or Pfizer my choice.

Of course if you're in Northern NH it could be a bit of a schlepp lol. ;)

So, asked the Mrs. where she got that info. Turns out she only checked Rite Aid pharmacies, our usual go to. I've checked around and can get another jab in about 10 days at CVS. Walgreen's website seems borked ATM. Keeps resetting my location to Boston, MA. Tried my iPad and two different browsers on my PC. Meh.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So, asked the Mrs. where she got that info. Turns out she only checked Rite Aid pharmacies, our usual go to. I've checked around and can get another jab in about 10 days at CVS. Walgreen's website seems borked ATM. Keeps resetting my location to Boston, MA. Tried my iPad and two different browsers on my PC. Meh.

CVS is where I got all 3 Moderna shots .... they made it relatively easy even in the midst of the initial rush to get the first round done.

As a side-benefit they provide proof of vaccine in their app/on website.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajay

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I got my covid booster this past Tuesday 11/23/2021. I have the blue vax card. She wrote Pfizer, the lot number and 1/31/22. Why is the date different from when I got the booster? My other stickers have Pfizer, the lot number and the date I got the original two shots.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Time to grab some masks or grab a half or full face respirator and cartridges?

If so what are you all using and at what store?
I used various N95 masks for over a year. My wife bought a half dozen versions from Grainger: https://www.grainger.com/search/safety/respiratory-protection/disposable-respirators-masks/general-purpose-disposable-respirators-dust-masks?attrs=NIOSH+Rating|N95&filters=attrs&searchQuery=n95&sst=4&tv_optin=true

Everyone we give masks to seems to prefer a different one. My favorite is this one, but it doesn't work with big heads or large necks: https://www.grainger.com/product/HONEYWELL-Disposable-Flatfold-Respirator-60KN92 Amazon has it at a much lower price: https://www.amazon.com/DF300-H910P-Flatfold-Disposable-Respirator/dp/B08YHD4XBR

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: balloonshark

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I was looking at these. They are shipped and sold by amazon. Some of the reviews says the straps break easily though. They even say that on the 3m site.

That looks good. I buy way too much stuff on Amazon (including some KN95s this year), but one cautionary note is that they commingle all of their inventory. So when you buy something "sold by Amazon," it doesn't guarantee that the item came from a respectable supply chain.

Otherwise, a properly fit-tested N95 should outperform any other mask. But I think it's kind of overkill for most situations and I prefer earloop style masks.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, broken straps could be an indication of old inventory (expired N95 respirators).

Reactions: balloonshark

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I was scheduled to finally get my booster through the Pfizer trial today. I had put it off due to the nasty cold I had the last two weeks. When I contacted them this morning to confirm my appointment I was informed that Pfizer opened up some more slots in the multivalent trial so I hopped in on that.

The multivalent trail has a few more steps than the original. In addition to my blood draw they also took a urine sample and did an EKG. Next week I will go back and get tested again and then get the first shot. I will then be give an EKG multiple time over the next few weeks. They are trying to get hard data on the myocarditis which is a good idea imo.

Will update next week on how the multivalent shot goes. Too bad it isn't adjusted of Omniman or whatever the new variant is called.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
As mentioned earlier in this thread, broken straps could be an indication of old inventory (expired N95 respirators).
The masks I have, the N95's, which I bought before the pandemic, are N95, and all 3M. One set have vents, the other, which are my favorites are 3M 9210, the fit is perfect, no vent, straps around the head (same on vented ones), but the straps are blue rubber, not the far more durable white elastic. The rubber ones will snap after a while. I replaced all those rubber straps with elastic, using my sewing machine. Nothing to do with old inventory. I was looking at a deal on Amazon today, 240 3M 9210+ masks, which are the upgraded 9210, have elastic straps. ~$220. Of course, I don't need that many, but the price is pretty great what with the pandemic. I bought my ones in 2017 for around $0.50 apiece, in batches of about 20 (2 batches) off ebay, but those kind of prices don't exist now for 3M N95, I'm pretty sure! That 3rd party deal off Amazon has a lot of negative reviews. A bunch got a big box with one mask! Several say they got child size masks, not adult.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I was scheduled to finally get my booster through the Pfizer trial today. I had put it off due to the nasty cold I had the last two weeks. When I contacted them this morning to confirm my appointment I was informed that Pfizer opened up some more slots in the multivalent trial so I hopped in on that.

The multivalent trail has a few more steps than the original. In addition to my blood draw they also took a urine sample and did an EKG. Next week I will go back and get tested again and then get the first shot. I will then be give an EKG multiple time over the next few weeks. They are trying to get hard data on the myocarditis which is a good idea imo.

Will update next week on how the multivalent shot goes. Too bad it isn't adjusted of Omniman or whatever the new variant is called.
Is that Delta only, or Delta and the original in one shot?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

monthly fines of 100 euros for those 60+ and not vaxed (520,000 people)

also in regards to the new variant, it was in Europe for a while before SA detected it
I suspect it's also payback for the culture of cash tax evasion in that country.

Those who resist are more likely to die anyway. Win-win money-wise.

• Wow
Reactions: KMFJD

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

xi1wF16.jpg

so get the shot, get the booster , un vaxed people will start to clog up the system even more than they are now seems to be the message

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
nope. he's really that dumb about these things. He seems smart about other things, but basic biology eludes him.

Yeah, it surprises me, because I never had him down as a quasi-Trumpist type.
Maybe it's to do with living in an isolated place, a long way from major concentrations of population? I reckon that would influence how you feel about both the threat of an infectious disease, and government attempts to control it.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
nope. he's really that dumb about these things. He seems smart about other things, but basic biology eludes him.
My take is that RedSquirrel is someone whose heart is always in the right place, but sometimes has warped views from his conservative Christian exposure (presumably through other social media/church?).

Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

No, it's that I like to look at the big picture, like freedoms and the future of the country and the world, and right now it's under threat due to government tyranny in the making and people being ok with it. That is a bigger threat than any virus. We should never let go of freedom for the illusion of safety. Too many people are tunnel vision focused on just the virus, and don't care about anything or anyone else.

The very idea of fining people or arresting people, or in some cases even shooting people, over something silly like a mask, or lines on the ground or a vaccine and just all the crazy mandates and new laws and overall changes they're doing to the world in general is completely insane. Yet that's the world we live in now and the majority are just accepting it, it's madness. Feels like we're in a dystopia. Then there's the economic downfall, supply chain issues etc. There are just so many negative things happening and people are just accepting it. But the big one is the two tier society that is being created. Nobody should be losing their job, rights or freedoms or be placed in a different category based on a medical decision, and a medical decision should not even need to be disclosed to anyone in first place. But here we are. A very dangerous precedent has been set. What's to stop mandates based on medication or medical conditions? Nothing. It's been accepted as being constitutional now. Even the supreme court has agreed on it. Oh you got diagnosed with cancer? yeah we can't accept that since it means you'll be taking lot of days off, so you're fired. Oh, you're on anti depressents? You might go crazy and shoot up the building, we can't have that, you're fired. This is the kind of precedent that is being set here. And people are ok with it.

Also the fact that the government or vaccine companies are waved of all responsibility if people get life altering effects from it such as heart damage that should raise a big red flag. Or the fact that safety data won't be available for 55 years. Anyone in the industry that questions the narrative is stripped of their license (Ex: doctors) too. When you can't question anything or are denied access to critical data and just told to comply or else, it's not science. It's an agenda.

Don't get me wrong I think the vaccine is a good thing and I got my 2 shots, but it should still be 100% a choice (and a private choice), especially when it has been shown to not be 100% safe. I am personally very reluctant to get the 3rd shot at this point since I don't see the benefit of it, but yet I'll probably be forced to. Then the 4th, then the 5th etc... this will not end because nobody seems to want it to end.

I'm starting to grow apathetic about it though, if people don't want to wake up then oh well. I'm thankfully not affected yet as I hardly go out or participate in any society stuff anyway, and taking steps to ensure it has less chance to affect me in the future by trying to become less reliant on the system. It will take many years to get there though so I just hope I can do it fast enough. I already know of a whole family that all packed their stuff and are living together off grid now. I think we're going to start seeing this more. There is a small minority of people who are seeing the light and I just happen to be one of them. The rest are sheep that are being led to the slaughter.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
No, it's that I like to look at the big picture, like freedoms and the future of the country and the world, and right now it's under threat due to government tyranny in the making and people being ok with it. That is a bigger threat than any virus. We should never let go of freedom for the illusion of safety. Too many people are tunnel vision focused on just the virus, and don't care about anything or anyone else.

The very idea of fining people or arresting people, or in some cases even shooting people, over something silly like a mask, or lines on the ground or a vaccine and just all the crazy mandates and new laws and overall changes they're doing to the world in general is completely insane. Yet that's the world we live in now and the majority are just accepting it, it's madness. Feels like we're in a dystopia. Then there's the economic downfall, supply chain issues etc. There are just so many negative things happening and people are just accepting it. But the big one is the two tier society that is being created. Nobody should be losing their job, rights or freedoms or be placed in a different category based on a medical decision, and a medical decision should not even need to be disclosed to anyone in first place. But here we are. A very dangerous precedent has been set. What's to stop mandates based on medication or medical conditions? Nothing. It's been accepted as being constitutional now. Even the supreme court has agreed on it. Oh you got diagnosed with cancer? yeah we can't accept that since it means you'll be taking lot of days off, so you're fired. Oh, you're on anti depressents? You might go crazy and shoot up the building, we can't have that, you're fired. This is the kind of precedent that is being set here. And people are ok with it.

Also the fact that the government or vaccine companies are waved of all responsibility if people get life altering effects from it such as heart damage that should raise a big red flag. Or the fact that safety data won't be available for 55 years. Anyone in the industry that questions the narrative is stripped of their license (Ex: doctors) too. When you can't question anything or are denied access to critical data and just told to comply or else, it's not science. It's an agenda.

Don't get me wrong I think the vaccine is a good thing and I got my 2 shots, but it should still be 100% a choice (and a private choice), especially when it has been shown to not be 100% safe. I am personally very reluctant to get the 3rd shot at this point since I don't see the benefit of it, but yet I'll probably be forced to. Then the 4th, then the 5th etc... this will not end because nobody seems to want it to end.

I'm starting to grow apathetic about it though, if people don't want to wake up then oh well. I'm thankfully not affected yet as I hardly go out or participate in any society stuff anyway, and taking steps to ensure it has less chance to affect me in the future by trying to become less reliant on the system. It will take many years to get there though so I just hope I can do it fast enough. I already know of a whole family that all packed their stuff and are living together off grid now. I think we're going to start seeing this more. There is a small minority of people who are seeing the light and I just happen to be one of them. The rest are sheep that are being led to the slaughter.
How is it that, again and again, you (and others) can bring up the 'personal choice' discussion point as though this ISN'T an infectious disease that can kill and/or create lifelong complications? It's no longer your choice if you can kill other people in the community, it's the community's choice.

Do you feel the same way regarding DUI? Should we permit 'personal choice' when it comes to drunk driving?

Reactions: Captante and KMFJD

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
How is it that, again and again, you (and others) can bring up the 'personal choice' discussion point as though this ISN'T an infectious disease that can kill and/or create lifelong complications? It's no longer your choice if you can kill other people in the community, it's the community's choice.

Do you feel the same way regarding DUI? Should we permit 'personal choice' when it comes to drunk driving?

It's my choice to be protected, and it's yours to also be protected. As well as accepting any risks associated with said protection. I should not be forced to perform a medical procedure to myself if I don't want to, just so that you can feel safer.

There are many other precautions you can take such as social distancing, avoiding crowds, masking etc if you don't trust the vaccine enough. Everyone should be free to take the precautions they want.

Unvaccinated are not going around murdering people, that is just being blown out of proportion. Being unvaccinated does not guarantee that you are contagious 100% of the time.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's my choice to be protected, and it's yours to also be protected. As well as accepting any risks associated with said protection. I should not be forced to perform a medical procedure to myself if I don't want to, just so that you can feel safer.

There are many other precautions you can take such as social distancing, avoiding crowds, masking etc if you don't trust the vaccine enough. Everyone should be free to take the precautions they want.

Unvaccinated are not going around murdering people, that is just being blown out of proportion. Being unvaccinated does not guarantee that you are contagious 100% of the time.
No, you're saying it's your choice to put others at risk. Just man up to it and say that. We all know you don't regard your own safety in high regard if you're not going to be getting boosters, but you need to say the words 'It's might choice to put others at risk'. Remember, there's people out there that a) can't take vaccines for medical reasons and b) are immune compromised. You *have* to keep them in mind when talking about protecting oneself.

So go on, say the words.

Reactions: pmv