NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 691 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If that is what they're saying, they're wrong. If that's what you're interpreting (which I suspect is the case), then you're wrong.

And that's what I'm trying to argue against but seem to be getting belittled for it. Some people actually do seem to think this. If you watch the news, politicians and just the general narrative, it seems to be what they are pushing and so do lot of people. For example nurses were considered heroes a year ago dealing with Delta etc, and now they're being fired if they don't want to get vaccinated.

We should be moving on from this like we did from other past infections like polio etc. But for some reason no one seems to want to. It's just weird how people have just accepted this new normal and are ok with it staying this way.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Just saw on ABC network news that Moderna is right now working on tweaking boosters for Omicron.

Question: Is the Moderna booster that's been going into arms recently the same as the original vaccine?

• Love
Reactions: cytg111

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It's appeared in Belgium already. An unvaccinated person who travelled to (or came from) Egypt, apparently.

The WHO has already made a statement urging countries not to be too quick to impose international travel restrictions. I have to say I don't get the WHO. They seem to have been all-over-the-shop since the start of this. One moment telling everyone to lock down as comprehensively as China did, the next decrying any restrictions on travel. Reproaching countries for restricting flights from China, while praising China for restricting flights _within_ China. Now they seem to be back to defending international travel again, as if that's the main priority with a new variant emerging.
At this point, the most plausible explanation is that they want it to happen. Metaphorically speaking, they let the seeds to first get planted, and then uproot the weeds after they have infested the yard; ignorance or naiveté is no longer an excuse. Then change the tune once cases rise.

They should know that there is a period where the virus is developing but not yet detectable.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Just saw on ABC network news that Moderna is right now working on tweaking boosters for Omicron.

Question: Is the Moderna booster that's been going into arms recently the same as the original vaccine?
As far as I'm aware Moderna hasn't changed at all. Pfizer changed the formulation buffer for the 5-11 dose but the vaccine is the same.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

100 days they need… so it really depends on how fast this thing spreads around the globe… but since its winter, potential for massive lockdowns again feb-march? Fuck me.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
For example nurses were considered heroes a year ago dealing with Delta etc, and now they're being fired if they don't want to get vaccinated.

Gee, do you think there's actually an informed, specific reason for this, or that it really is just your biblical thinking of "The first truth I believe is the only truth that shall ever be" fucking with your head again, and handicapping your inability to understand that information and situations evolve, just like living systems?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
100 days they need… so it really depends on how fast this thing spreads around the globe… but since its winter, potential for massive lockdowns again feb-march? Fuck me.

We don't know if it outcompetes Delta and we don't know about immune evasion. It is extremely unlikely that it would totally evade protection in even a worst case.

Reactions: Zorba

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
We don't know if it outcompetes Delta and we don't know about immune evasion. It is extremely unlikely that it would totally evade protection in even a worst case.
Well, Moderna is already on it, I take that as a tell, that the cost-benefit of being ready with a specialized Omicron vaccine vs the spending is worth it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well, Moderna is already on it, I take that as a tell, that the cost-benefit of being ready with a specialized Omicron vaccine vs the spending is worth it.

It's not a big expense at this stage. Somebody in a lab changes some code on a computer

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Know but with a big BUT:
It will probably still need to go through registration.
I volunteer.

Well, when they're saying that it'll take them 100 days and that they started the process yesterday, I am counting 99 days today.
My intuition, which is nowhere near as good as your actual knowledge, just tells me that's more than one lab coat punching in some numbers.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
They and Pfizer have either on specific version for menu of the variants but haven't ever up taking it to market. Based on their past bragging it's a few man-hours to update the code for a new variant.

Reactions: cytg111

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Well, when they're saying that it'll take them 100 days and that they started the process yesterday, I am counting 99 days today.
My intuition, which is nowhere near as good as your actual knowledge, just tells me that's more than one lab coat punching in some numbers.
The 100 days includes all the manufacturing for test doses (~30 days), testing, and approval.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Agreed. Doctor on ABC network news last night said by early next week we should know a lot more and within a couple weeks have a fair picture of where we stand with regard to protection by the current vaccines from Omicron.

Dr. Monica Ghandi, OTOH (UCSF expert on these matters, much shown on TV, at least around here, and a cohort of zDoggMD in YT videos), was shown briefly pontificating that the current vaccines are likely to be pretty effective against it.

I'm thinking we may see some tweaked boosters early this coming year.

We shall see.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
We should be moving on from this like we did from other past infections like polio etc. But for some reason no one seems to want to. It's just weird how people have just accepted this new normal and are ok with it staying this way.

And how pray-tell do you think we were able to move on from Polio? (and Smallpox?)

:p

Think MAYBE it was because the vast majority of kids/people got vaccinated?

The only person (around here at least) I've seen imply in any way that "being unvaccinated is somehow more dangerous to others than before the vaccine existed" is you Red.

What being unvaccinated IS "more of" now that there's a safe and effective vaccine is ignorant and douchy. That is why folks are a little bit annoyed.

And I'm not "implying" anything, I'm straight up telling you that you are way off base here.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What being unvaccinated IS "more of" now that there's a safe and effective vaccine is ignorant and douchy. That is why folks are a little bit annoyed.

And I'm not "implying" anything, I'm straight up telling you that you are way off base here.
TBH, I think Red has a troll gene.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

I've said it before and I'll say it again now .... without at least A FEW trolls, irks, 'bots and other assorted "undesirable's" the forums are a far less amusing place!

But that's not Red .... he's a good guy just a little bit "out there"..... ;)

(must be all that fresh clean Canuckistanian freezing-cold air and pure water... -OR- could be the result of not having a soul !!!)

:D

But then aren't we all? :p :oops:

images

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
As @Captante said, Red's a good guy. Been around here for evah. He just doesn't seem to be able to grok the COVID/Vaccine science. Lot's of people can't. There's just so much one can do to help. In some respects, it not surprising. Between some mixed messages in the early information on SARS-COV-19, due to a lack of understanding, and the horrible job our mass media has done in helping people understand what we need to do now** - too many people really are confused about what to do. Never mind the trash heap of information that social media is :rolleyes:.

** News outlets in America died when media corporations decided they had to be 'profit centers'.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't doubt that Red is a good guy. A bad gene can be recessive. It only comes to the fore occasionally, and this being a metaphorical device, when a person has a blind spot. I suppose most everyone has some blind spots, things they can't quite focus on, get a handle on, because of whatever. It is part of what makes life interesting sometimes, those ah ha moments, those revelations.

There's a ton of stuff out there on the C19 pandemic that's solid, super solid. Now, I have a good background and I had a ton of time to deal with this so I have watched lots of great videos, some quite long. There's fantastic stuff out there. I've read umpteen articles, I've seen the experts. I know the people worth listening to. There are several people who come to this thread regularly who are super strong in this stuff, many a lot stronger than I am on a lot of stuff.

i'm amazed it's taken this long
I'm having a surgery in a few days. I already showed my doctor my vax card. He didn't ask for it, but I figured it wasn't a bad idea to put him straight. It's oral surgery, after all.

Last edited: