NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 690 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I was able to get my Pfizer booster today during my doctor visit. I told them I didn't care if it was Pfizer or Moderna. I would be happy to get either. He doesn't like mixing and matching and he also doesn't like giving the flu shot at the same time. He likes to do those a week apart. I can't remember the last time I got a flu shot so I told them I wanted the booster. I'll be unmasked during my transesophageal echocardiogram next month so I wanted my immune system in tip top shape by then.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Huh? There are literally places losing their business license over non compliance. It's not the businesses that are doing this it's the government. Why would businesses want extra red tape to deal with?

businesses don't want sick people coming in and killing their customers. It has always been in their interest to keep their customers safe--the vast majority of them know this and have always acted this way.

You look at a handful of sociopathic business owners that think this is all a hoax and want to agree with them that the government is forcing them to do something that is in their best interest. They are the ones losing business because they are completely retarded. Full stop.

No actual business owner wants maskless, unvaccinated shitbags showing up and killing their customers and destroying their business. Stop being stupid. These are only ever decisions that they have made for themselves. If they refuse the government's aid in keeping them in business, that's their fucking fault.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
businesses don't want sick people coming in and killing their customers. It has always been in their interest to keep their customers safe--the vast majority of them know this and have always acted this way.

You look at a handful of sociopathic business owners that think this is all a hoax and want to agree with them that the government is forcing them to do something that is in their best interest. They are the ones losing business because they are completely retarded. Full stop.

No actual business owner wants maskless, unvaccinated shitbags showing up and killing their customers and destroying their business. Stop being stupid. These are only ever decisions that they have made for themselves. If they refuse the government's aid in keeping them in business, that's their fucking fault.

You can still spread it while vaccinated, this whole thing of unvaccinated people going around mass murdering people is blown way out of proportion. They are not any more contagious than we all were before the vaccine came out and even if you do catch it your chances of it being just a regular flu are still the same. Ex: most people who get covid are not getting super sick. Those of us who are vaccinated are still better protected than when we were not. I personally could not care less if someone besides me is unvaccinated. Also restaurant staff don't actually need to be vaccinated anyway, unless the specific restaurant mandates it. This vaccine passport is very similar to 9/11 security theatre stuff.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Unvaccinateds are a threat to themselves. To others, the damage is not substantially more.

Not only that, but there are subsets. THose who got the virus and fought it off, and those who never got it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
a new south african variant has scientists talking

Has a lot more mutations than the other variants including many in the spike protein. There's a concern that the vaccines may not control it, it's too early to tell. Transmissibility is unknown but cases of it where it's prevalent are exploding. However, vaccination rates are low there.

From the NYTimes article today:

The B1.1.529 variant has a “very unusual constellation of mutations,” with more than 30 mutations in the spike protein alone, Mr. de Oliveira said. On the ACE2 receptor — the protein that helps to create an entry point for the coronavirus to infect human cells — the new variant has 10 mutations. In comparison, the Beta variant has three, the Delta variant has two, said Mr. de Oliveira.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You can still spread it while vaccinated, this whole thing of unvaccinated people going around mass murdering people is blown way out of proportion. They are not any more contagious than we all were before the vaccine came out and even if you do catch it your chances of it being just a regular flu are still the same. Ex: most people who get covid are not getting super sick. Those of us who are vaccinated are still better protected than when we were not. I personally could not care less if someone besides me is unvaccinated. Also restaurant staff don't actually need to be vaccinated anyway, unless the specific restaurant mandates it. This vaccine passport is very similar to 9/11 security theatre stuff.
This is not true. The Delta variant arrived after the vaccines came out and it's 1000x more contagious.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Tell you this much for certain .... if you are vaccinated you are FAR less likely to become infected even with the Delta variant.

Logically it follows that if you are far less likely to become infected in the first place then you are also far less likely to infect anyone else.

Therefore the more people get vaccinated, the safer EVERYONE will be.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You've been called out on this misinformation. Yes you can still spread it after being vaccinated, but it happens less. You keep implying it makes no difference. It does.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Tell you this much for certain .... if you are vaccinated you are FAR less likely to become infected even with the Delta variant.

Logically it follows that if you are far less likely to become infected in the first place then you are also far less likely to infect anyone else.

Plus, as I understand it, if you've been vaccinated and get infected, you won't be infectious for as long a period of time as if you were unvaccinated, so you'll spread it less.

Unfortunately it's all a question of probabilities and population-level effects, seems there are no individual guarantees, so no complete escape from anxiety (about infecting elderly relatives, for example).

Reactions: Captante and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Irrefutable logic. The unvaccinated are the unraked forest that's breeding wildfires that could burn down your house (to make a trope of Trump's absurd statement). Wise up, people. The willfully unvaxxed are fucking things up for everybody. Unless there are valid reasons for their not getting vaxxed they are either stupid or in denial, or both, of course. Then there's just plain laziness. Moral bankruptcy is an even worse disease than Covid-19, but rather a different sort of thing. There's no pathogen, but it does grow in the human brain:

The Human Abstract, by William Blake

Pity would be no more,
If we did not make somebody Poor:
And Mercy no more could be,
If all were as happy as we;

And mutual fear brings peace;
Till the selfish loves increase.
Then Cruelty knits a snare,
And spreads his baits with care.

He sits down with holy fears,
And waters the ground with tears:
Then Humility takes its root
Underneath his foot.

Soon spreads the dismal shade
Of Mystery over his head;
And the Caterpillar and Fly,
Feed on the Mystery.

And it bears the fruit of Deceit,
Ruddy and sweet to eat;
And the Raven his nest has made
In its thickest shade.

The Gods of the earth and sea,
Sought thro' Nature to find this Tree
But their search was all in vain:
There grows one in the Human Brain.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

The fuck are you talking about? No and no.

From where the hell did you absorb this cockandballs nonsense? Seriously: stick to soldering heavy metals to other heavy metals or whatever it is you do, because simple biology isn't your thing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Has a lot more mutations than the other variants including many in the spike protein. There's a concern that the vaccines may not control it, it's too early to tell. Transmissibility is unknown but cases of it where it's prevalent are exploding. However, vaccination rates are low there.

lot of doom circulating on this one online. They don’t know anything yet until the vaccine makers test against their stuff over the next couple weeks. SA had hit a lull in Delta cases so unknown if this actually out competes it or not. Basically we need to sit tight and wait for the scientists to tell us whats up again. Anyway Pfizer and Moderna should be able to switch over in a couple months if really needed.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

It's appeared in Belgium already. An unvaccinated person who travelled to (or came from) Egypt, apparently.

The WHO has already made a statement urging countries not to be too quick to impose international travel restrictions. I have to say I don't get the WHO. They seem to have been all-over-the-shop since the start of this. One moment telling everyone to lock down as comprehensively as China did, the next decrying any restrictions on travel. Reproaching countries for restricting flights from China, while praising China for restricting flights _within_ China. Now they seem to be back to defending international travel again, as if that's the main priority with a new variant emerging.

Reactions: Muse

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

'They’ve told us we are violating the Geneva Convention '

it's amazing how stupid these people can get, upset that the vaxed workers are getting a bonus but they aren't...

'Chapman said he realized the company was spending up to $50 per unvaccinated employee and the money would be better spent elsewhere. '

“As a family we were chatting and it just seemed wrong we were spending that for the small amount of people who hadn’t gotten vaccinated, when we feel the people who did the right thing should be rewarded. Because it was also a bit of a slap in the face for them.”

So last week, the company informed employees, as of November 28, all those in a supervisory level or lower would be eligible for a $1 an hour pay rise if they were double-vaccinated.'

Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The fuck are you talking about? No and no.

From where the hell did you absorb this cockandballs nonsense? Seriously: stick to soldering heavy metals to other heavy metals or whatever it is you do, because simple biology isn't your thing.

So tell me how someone unvaccinated can be MORE contagious now, than before the vaccine came out? That just makes no sense. The media and narrative is trying to make it seem like just being close to someone unvaccinated guarantees that not only do you get covid, but you will die from it, even if you're vaccinated. That just makes absolutely no sense.

Dec 10, 2005
So tell me how someone unvaccinated can be MORE contagious now, than before the vaccine came out? That just makes no sense. The media and narrative is trying to make it seem like just being close to someone unvaccinated guarantees that not only do you get covid, but you will die from it, even if you're vaccinated. That just makes absolutely no sense.
Delta variant is more contagious, so on that alone, unvaccinated people now can be more contagious than before vaccines came onto the scene.

You're just grossly misinterpreting the stories out there. You have a greater risk hanging out with unvaccinated people because they have a greater risk of contracting COVID; hang around even more unvaccinated people (especially in the wrong spots), and further increase your risk. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

And being vaccinated is protective against severe disease and death, but it's not like you can't still get sick or spread it to some degree. Or be one of the unlucky ones that is just a nonresponder to vaccination. I've known a few vaccinated people that have come down with covid, and it's been described as anything from mild symptoms to similar to having the flu for a week, and lingering effects for a month. Seems prudent to still take some small precautions or shame people for being selfish fucking asshats.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The delta variant is more infectious and more contagious than the vanilla strain, far more.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Of course it makes no sense because you just made that bullshit up. How do you not understand that the nonsense things that make no sense to you are confusing because they are actual nonsense, but you erroneously believe them to be true?

Have you ever considered that you are simply filling your head with garbage, and because you don't understand it anyway, you are just comfortable in accepting it to be true?

Oh, I see, you sound perplexed about Delta existing. ...yeah, this is going to be even more confusing for you, I think. :D

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The delta variant is more infectious and more contagious than the vanilla strain, far more.

That has nothing really to do with my argument though. Some people seem to be implying that just because the vaccine exists, being unvaccinated is somehow more dangerous to others than before the vaccine existed. That does not really make any sense at all irregardless of variants. If anything the existence of the vaccine and fact that around 80% of the country is vaccinated should mean that the risk is much lower to everyone. My area basically has like no covid cases now. The odd 1-2 here and there and that's it, and those are not people getting sick. They just tested positive. The few unvaxed people are not really a big enough threat to warrant all the craziness going on.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
That has nothing really to do with my argument though. Some people seem to be implying that just because the vaccine exists, being unvaccinated is somehow more dangerous to others than before the vaccine existed. That does not really make any sense at all irregardless of variants. If anything the existence of the vaccine and fact that around 80% of the country is vaccinated should mean that the risk is much lower to everyone. My area basically has like no covid cases now. The odd 1-2 here and there and that's it, and those are not people getting sick. They just tested positive. The few unvaxed people are not really a big enough threat to warrant all the craziness going on.

Dude .... really? :rolleyes:

You seem fairly intelligent and this isn't that complex of a topic.... my issue with your post is that it's based on flawed reasoning and bad info.

If you ever moved to the US, Texas or Florida might just be your state!

;)

Seriously and OBVIOUSLY any percentage of people vaccinated helps BUT just as obviously to anyone thinking it through a HIGHER percentage of people with immunity = better protection for everyone.

Unless only "some" dogs getting a rabies vaccine is also fine by you? (its the same kind of insanity)

Bottom line ... it's fine by me if you or anyone else skips getting vaccinated over paranoid nonsense provided they stay the fvck away from me and anyone else I care about.

*(AND stop spreading the bull$hit around... many more folks "thinking" like this and we would still be dying from smallpox on the regular !!!)

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Some people seem to be implying that just because the vaccine exists, being unvaccinated is somehow more dangerous to others than before the vaccine existed.
If that is what they're saying, they're wrong. If that's what you're interpreting (which I suspect is the case), then you're wrong. The vaccine is irrelevant in the discussion. Someone with a Delta variant infection is more dangerous than the vanilla infection, and Delta evolved roughly in time for mass vaccinations, hence 'before the vaccine' vs 'after the vaccine'. It's merely a time marker though. You could just as easily say '2020 infection' vs '2021 infection' or something.

You work very hard to spread FUD, or at least to outwardly express your distaste for this whole situation. Don't get me wrong, nobody is enjoying this (beyond being able to actually be an introvert now), but you stirring shit isn't helping the situation, and it's possible it'll hurt the situation, so you should probably just stop, and accept that this isn't your field.