NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 662 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Fully vaccinated people who experience breakthrough infections are at risk for long-covid. Therefore it is fallacious to think that if you catch covid after being vaxxed you're only going to suffer maybe a "bad cold." Personally, I don't like the "odds."

“We found that the odds of having symptoms for 28 days or more after post-vaccination infection were approximately halved by having two vaccine doses,” researchers wrote in the study, published in the journal The Lancet Infectious Diseases. “This result suggests that the risk of long Covid is reduced in individuals who have received double vaccination, when additionally considering the already documented reduced risk of infection overall.”

Sept. 1, 2021:

Long covid in kids (June 2021 article):

I just hit the 120 mark yesterday, got moderna, so I'm glad I saw this 😏
I'm 201 days since my 2nd Moderna shot.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
To be a little fair, roughly 12% of the population isn't eligible yet. Although they are likely to have very low uptake rate.

Big school districts in urban areas are likely to mandate it, unless prohibited by state government. The split we see in adult vaccination uptake will just extend to the 5-11s now and the divergent path of the pandemic we see in the country continue.

Reactions: Zorba
Dec 10, 2005
An appeal for an objective, open, and transparent scientific debate about the origin of SARS-CoV-2

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...tcovid21&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

There is so far no scientifically validated evidence that directly supports a natural origin.
Absence of evidence does not make the idea of an accidental or intentional release of a lab generated or lab-isolated virus more likely.

There needs to be a serious look at trying to figure out where it came from. But based on past outbreaks of coronaviruses, it's likely from some natural source, and could have traveled quite far before being formally detected. If I recall, the original SARS virus was first detected extremely far from it's likely point of origin.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

A Texas couple who landed themselves a rare night out with friends says it was cut short when the restaurant kicked them out for wearing face masks, which they say they wore to protect their immunocompromised 4-month-old son. Natalie Wester and her husband, Jose Lopez-Guerrero, joined a group of friends at a restaurant and bar in Rowlett, about 20 miles northeast of Dallas, on September 10. "We are new parents and in the middle of a pandemic, we don't really get out a whole lot," Wester told CNN. "But that Friday night, my mom happened to be available to watch our son. ... Living in a pandemic, being isolated and away from others is a big deal for our mental and social health." Their infant has cystic fibrosis, they said, so they have taken precautions to stay safe and do what's best for their family, and that includes wearing a face mask in public except when drinking or eating.

1632253339228.png

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

View attachment 50521
Heh, out of curiosity I went to check the Yelp reviews for Hang Time Sports Grill and Bar in Rowlett, TX, and I got an "Unusual Activity" pop up. Guess that means people are airing their thoughts there.

Reactions: Captante

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

View attachment 50521
You could argue the restaurant was inadvertently protecting their 4-month-old. I can understand they needed a night off/out, but eating and drinking at a crowded restaurant when there's still high community viral transmission isn't exactly the safest choice.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You could argue the restaurant was inadvertently protecting their 4-month-old. I can understand they needed a night off/out, but eating and drinking at a crowded restaurant when there's still high community viral transmission isn't exactly the safest choice.
This is kind of along the same lines as giving Hitler bonus points for killing Hitler though.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante and Zorba

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Manager is a fucking clown.

"About 30 minutes in, our waitress comes over and she sits down next to me and she's like, 'Hey, so our manager is over there in the kitchen, and he is not as nice as I am so I came over here to talk to you and unfortunately, this is a political thing, but our manager does not believe in the mask. He's tired of being told what to do by, you know, politics in the country, and so you're going to need to take the mask off," Wester said.

Maybe they should do a full health inspection, who knows what else the manager doesn't believe in, like proper sanitation etc.

Edit: I have never worked in the food industry, but maybe having employees where masks while they prepare your food should be the way forward as well.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
This is kind of along the same lines as giving Hitler bonus points for killing Hitler though.
Not giving the restaurant bonus points, as it's obvious what they did. Was trying to point out that this young couple could have chosen a social activity that bolsters their argument. To be clear, if their party was seated in an outdoor space, that seems to be OK. I'm not arguing that they never get to go out and do things but based on their own narrative, they have to be pretty careful.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

View attachment 50521
This like dumb and dumb, but one dude's dumb spared the other dummy from fucking themselves.
Manager is negligent. But the couple shouldn't be absolved either. Cystic fibrosis is some serious shit and affects the exact same organs as COVID and thus exposure should not be risked even with masking. I don't believe the vaccine is approved for a four-month old either.

I got the virus even with masking, likely from a Walmart or Home Depot.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
There is so far no scientifically validated evidence that directly supports a natural origin.
To me, the biggest evidence is that of the first 41 people with Covid-19, 66% were at the same location: the Huanan seafood market. Most of the rest were relatives of those who were at that market. Yet none of the first patients were from the lab that supposedly leaked it. It just seems really odd for a lab to leak a virus and for it to magically transport to a market across town without infecting anyone until it got to the market then suddenly spreading there. And if it were intentional instead of magical, why would China release a bioweapon in their own city without first vaccinating their citizens?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
To me, the biggest evidence is that of the first 41 people with Covid-19, 66% were at the same location: the Huanan seafood market. Most of the rest were relatives of those who were at that market. Yet none of the first patients were from the lab that supposedly leaked it. It just seems really odd for a lab to leak a virus and for it to magically transport to a market across town without infecting anyone until it got to the market then suddenly spreading there. And if it were intentional instead of magical, why would China release a bioweapon in their own city without first vaccinating their citizens?
There is a an unaccounted for named Huang Yanling. She has quietly "disappeared" from this world and apparently some people enjoy the fact there is language barrier.

If the official narrative is she is still alive, I expect her to be publishing scientific papers in the future.....

Dec 10, 2005
filed under 'no shit'
Perhaps it seems obvious now, but at least J&J ran a real trial to show that. For all anyone knew when they started it, there could have simply been a plateau in efficacy, with no gain at all from the second shot.

Importantly, they're also the only ones with good data for both one and two shot efficacy, since they ran separate trials.

Edit: maybe there was more to the link quoted than I originally saw this morning.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There is a an unaccounted for named Huang Yanling. She has quietly "disappeared" from this world and apparently some people enjoy the fact there is language barrier.

If the official narrative is she is still alive, I expect her to be publishing scientific papers in the future.....
Is she the head of the program at the institute that vanished from the face of the lab and the earth mysteriously just prior to the pandemic emerging publicly? Her photo also disappeared from the lab's website. Also, several lab members came down with upper respiratory infections at the same time, and IIRC, prior to the outbreak at the wet market.

Huang Yanling