NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 617 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It looks like Papa Joe is going to bribe the remaining holdouts to get vaccinated with $100 checks:

I'm a bit jealous, but then my 8 year old daughter hasn't be able to get vaccinated yet. Maybe she can buy her parents dinner for a change :)

Who knows... maybe I'll get my chance to a get another stimmy check as well when we're all required to get a Pfizer booster shot?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Something tells me that's not going to work.

Who knows... maybe I'll get my chance to a get another stimmy check as well when we're all required to get a Pfizer booster shot?

It does seem like the variants are starting to evade the vaccines. Gotta get going on the multivariant vaccines.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Something tells me that's not going to work.

It does seem like the variants are starting to evade the vaccines. Gotta get going on the multivariant vaccines.

I think that it will work somewhat with lower income families, especially because he's also adding another benefit of paid leave to get the vaccine. If you're working a shitty McJob, they just made it more profitable to get the shot than to go to work that day.

Looking back, the Biden administration probably should have made getting vaccinated a requirement for receiving the last round of stimulus payments. That probably would have worked even better.

Reactions: Zorba

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
CDC still has to release the data but probability vaccinated people are spreading Delta seems considerable. Which prompted the new mask guidance.

If that's the case, Dr. Fauci should be saying that when being interviewed. At this point, the administration should know that "We're the government, trust us!" isn't an acceptable response when asked why we should be wearing masks again.

Reactions: Torn Mind

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
If that's the case, Dr. Fauci should be saying that when being interviewed. At this point, the administration should know that "We're the government, trust us!" isn't an acceptable response when asked why we should be wearing masks again.
They need to say the truth. "Assholes won't get vaccinated and won't follow the honor system. By law we can't let them die in the streets, so we all have to unconvenience ourselves so they can continue to act like toddlers."

Feb 4, 2009
Alright AT educated people. This morning news says CDC states delta is as or nearly as contagious in a vaccinated person as an unvaccinated person. Vaccinated still are well protected vs hospitalization and death.
We all know a booster would likely be required when do we expect there to be a booster tailored to the delta variant?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Alright AT educated people. This morning news says CDC states delta is as or nearly as contagious in a vaccinated person as an unvaccinated person. Vaccinated still are well protected vs hospitalization and death.

The CDC really needs to release the data they are looking at so other people can see it. It seems from what I've read their determination is at least in part based on the P-town outbreak over the 4th. The conditions for that may be er somewhat anomalous. Also the summer population swells to tens of thousand of people so how many cases out of how many people is relevant.

We all know a booster would likely be required when do we expect there to be a booster tailored to the delta variant?

Healthy normal people are not likely to need a 3rd shot yet. I think that that boosting with the original formulations will be likely recommended for the immunocompromised and maybe the very elderly depending what the breakthrough hospital cases looks like.

Pfizer will start testing a Delta specific booster in August, which they have already manufactured at least at lab scale.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'm probably completely wrong on this, but I think the issue isn't that the vaccine isn't tailored to the delta variant enough (it seems to be, given that people aren't being hospitalized in mass numbers). I think the issue is that the virus is capable of replicating to absurd numbers, enough to be indistinguishable to a normal person, BEFORE the body has a chance to react and lock it down. As a result, you're still a walking breeding ground of delta variant until your body fights it off, just like an unimmunized person. Ironically this variant is turning all inoculated people into walking aircraft carriers, and we're apparently at war with anti-vaxxers.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm probably completely wrong on this, but I think the issue isn't that the vaccine isn't tailored to the delta variant enough (it seems to be, given that people aren't being hospitalized in mass numbers). I think the issue is that the virus is capable of replicating to absurd numbers, enough to be indistinguishable to a normal person, BEFORE the body has a chance to react and lock it down. As a result, you're still a walking breeding ground of delta variant until your body fights it off, just like an unimmunized person. Ironically this variant is turning all inoculated people into walking aircraft carriers, and we're apparently at war with anti-vaxxers.

interesting and I am probably wrong too. The spike proteins are a little different with the delta. Wondering if that can be incorporated into a booster.
I know moderna & Pfizer we’re both very bullish about being able to tailor their respective vaccines as it changed.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The existing vaccines cause a huge number of different neutralizing antibodies to be produced. Delta just has some mutations that evades only some of those antibodies while being more infectious. There are still a ton of neutralizing antibodies that work so that's why we don't have a lot of vaccinated people in the hospital. This is why current vaccines are still quite effective.

Moderna and Pfizer can and have created updated versions of their mRNA vaccines in the lab to directly counter Delta's mutations. They did this with Beta also. The platform is really nimble if required. Though for now any booster is likely to be the original designs which, per Pfizer's limited data shown, substantially raises neutralizing antibody titers which seems to be the correlate of protection everybody is leaning on.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
NYTimes article on front page of online edition today has this statement on a pivotal issue:

Data also indicates that the Delta variant is more easily transmitted, even by those who have had two doses of more effective vaccines, such as those produced by the companies Pfizer and Moderna.

I would think that boosters would not only better protect vaccinated people, they would reduce spread of the virus, thus be a significant tool in quelling the pandemic. We'll see, but I wouldn't be surprised if I had my booster before 2022... or early 2022. First things first, get people to have their first shot!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Hopefully the unvaxxed are triaged out if a vaxxed person or non-covid person needs the bed. They made the choice.

I presume critical injuries/conditions would take priority over even severe COVID patients on the "this person is likely to almost immediately die if we don't" scale. But maybe somebody who knows can answer that.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
We need mandates. If we don't have mandates we will end up here with another variant after the Delta boosters arrive.

And **** the feelings of those opposed to it. Because if they were young males in prior decades they could have been sent off to actual wars against their will. Getting a vaccine today is nothing in comparison.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We need mandates. If we don't have mandates we will end up here with another variant after the Delta boosters arrive.

And **** the feelings of those opposed to it. Because if they were young males in prior decades they could have been sent off to actual wars against their will. Getting a vaccine today is nothing in comparison.
Great point there, get vaxxed or else, I'm all for it, long as they can tolerate it, which is enough people to get to something that works as herd immunity.

And check this staggeringly sobering fact:

According to an internal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) document that was obtained by The Washington Post, the Delta variant appears to have an R0, or basic reproduction rate, of between around 5 and 9.5.

We've got to get the whole world vaxxed! It's going to be weird the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: balloonshark

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I don't quite understand all this rush to get 3rd shots (or second shots if you had J&J) - it's all very back of the envelope and built on somewhat shitty, piecemeal data. Just run a confirmatory trial that protection is actually provided by the extra shot relative to the standard dosing - the incidence rate of covid should be high enough for a trial to generate data fairly quickly.

If Connecticut made a 3rd shot available to me today I'd be in line within the hour. (it certainly isn't likely to do any harm!)

And while I initially opposed any type of vaccine mandate, at this point I would have no problem putting a figurative gun to peoples heads!

I'm fvcking TAPPED OUT of patience for morons. Catering to the very stupid will be the REAL undoing of America!

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

While I agree with you in principle, we are going to find many additional variants even if 85% of eligible Americans are vaccinated. If we could get 85% those eligible in the World vaccinated - then the likelihood of successful new variants would be severely diminished.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I'm guessing conditions played a big role in this particular outbreak. People jammed in to small homes/businesses with less than optimal ventilation in *ahem* Barnstable County lol.

If this is related to the Provincetown stuff... well PTown's got a rep lol. Actually I haven't seen anything about whether the virus is sexually transmittable.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If this is related to the Provincetown stuff... well PTown's got a rep lol. Actually I haven't seen anything about whether the virus is sexually transmittable.

Yeah, if only a few hundred infections came out of tens of thousands of people there doing the things that they do the vaccine designers should get some kind of extra award.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba and local

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Broadway will require audiences to be vaccinated and to wear masks.
Yup. Spread that around enough and more people will line up. Could happen. I have heard Delta R0 = 8 and 5 <= R0 <= 9.5. That is freaky contagious, virtually unstoppable in unvaxxed communities. And this is just Delta! I suppose that any mutation that makes Delta more transmissible will take over as the dominant strain. o_O