NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 612 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I almost wish the country would just split into two. Because why do I want to keep it together? So I can keep paying taxes for these low IQ (insert my race here) trash bums to keep sucking up welfare, not got their free vaccines and then end up with huge medical bills that everyone else will end paying for? Meanwhile my small family is now back on lockdown until my son can get his vaccine. I'm just so... fed up with these people. I do not want to be together with them on anything anymore.

Time to re-visit the US civil war? :p

Not a bad idea .... only THIS time we KICK the bung-hole former Confederate states the heck out! (no great loss)

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
500 miles = I would rather drive myself anyway ... and at this point I'd call it a no-brainer if you really want to go.
OK, so you're saying if I really want to go I should probably drive, not fly. I can see that. Gotta think about it. RSVP by Aug. 15, IIRC.

I would enjoy it, but really, I have to wonder how safe the events of that weekend will be. San Diego.

Reactions: Captante

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I went out to lunch with a buddy last weekend, and was freaked out. No one had a mask but me.
You just described Florida since last September. :p

My first question is why does the timeline for full approval inhabit a somewhat vague three month window? I know the FDA is all fucked up after their incomprehensible decision on the Biogen drug but come on.
The deadline is January, so without knowing the particulars of how the FDA does this work, they are trying to get it done as quickly as possible. Usually you inform us how the sausage-making works. :)

I almost wish the country would just split into two. Because why do I want to keep it together? So I can keep paying taxes for these low IQ (insert my race here) trash bums to keep sucking up welfare, not got their free vaccines and then end up with huge medical bills that everyone else will end paying for? Meanwhile my small family is now back on lockdown until my son can get his vaccine. I'm just so... fed up with these people. I do not want to be together with them on anything anymore.
Partisan tribalism is at its worst since the American Civil War, but let's not ignore the fact that the most common denominator for vaccine hesitancy is ignorance. Anti- Covid-19 vaccination has been politicized into a core MAGA position, but there are people in all states who are dragging their feet. On balance, yes the Deep South is going to be the epicenter of any Covid-19 surges we see, but it won't be confined there.

As a few people predicted here in May, the CDC using "fully vaccinated people don't need to mask indoors" as a carrot was not and is not the correct public health policy. Unfortunately if they try to officially walk that back now, you'll just have a lot of governors saying "not here, not us." Primarily in the states with the lowest vaccination rates, go figure...

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Joe Rogan hosted a guy on his podcast who was a member of a WHO advisory board, not at all heterodox, someone who is part of the system. His take was that regardless of the origin of the virus, China's handling of the initial outbreak likely was responsible for about 90% of the total worldwide cases.

The striking part is that it draws so little attention, instead, for some reason, all our outrage seems to be directed towards one another. I imagine on some level folks feel better believing they can denigrate fellow citizens until some magical unattainable level of vaccination is realized.

All this while ignoring the fact that vaccination in the middle of a pandemic contributes to the number of breakthrough cases enabling variants to find a work around. Winning this battle is going to be far more difficult and nuanced than simply blaming one another.
If I get shot, I want someone to stop the bleeding and get me to the hospital, not sit around and talk about why I shouldn't have been shot and gun laws. Bitching about China does literally nothing to prevent disease today.

People refusing to take the vaccine is what will lead to more varians. If the virus evolves around vaccine immunity it would evolve around natural immunity too. We've also vaccinated our way out of multiple pandemics and outbreaks including Polio and Ebola.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The drama is going to be epic this season.

"If a club cannot play due to a Covid spike in vaccinated individuals, we will attempt to minimize the competitive and economic burden on both participating teams."

How?
Week 19 game or a tie, probably.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You just described Florida since last September. :p

The deadline is January, so without knowing the particulars of how the FDA does this work, they are trying to get it done as quickly as possible. Usually you inform us how the sausage-making works. :)

Partisan tribalism is at its worst since the American Civil War, but let's not ignore the fact that the most common denominator for vaccine hesitancy is ignorance. Anti- Covid-19 vaccination has been politicized into a core MAGA position, but there are people in all states who are dragging their feet. On balance, yes the Deep South is going to be the epicenter of any Covid-19 surges we see, but it won't be confined there.

As a few people predicted here in May, the CDC using "fully vaccinated people don't need to mask indoors" as a carrot was not and is not the correct public health policy. Unfortunately if they try to officially walk that back now, you'll just have a lot of governors saying "not here, not us." Primarily in the states with the lowest vaccination rates, go figure...
It was a stupid carrot with there being any type of verification.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Denial for sale, come and get it. Vote for me, no accountability necessary.
- -
Personally, I thought the go maskless indoors if fully vaccinated was a dumb idea, at least when they advanced it.

Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
OK, so you're saying if I really want to go I should probably drive, not fly. I can see that. Gotta think about it. RSVP by Aug. 15, IIRC.

I would enjoy it, but really, I have to wonder how safe the events of that weekend will be. San Diego.
Right now I'm thinking I probably won't go. It's the first week of September, which would appear to be the worst possible time. I saw around a week ago a projection that the peak of the surge of delta infections is thought to be September! :oops:

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The delta Covid variant is one of the most infectious respiratory diseases ever seen by scientists, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday.

The variant is highly contagious, largely because people infected with the delta strain can carry up to 1,000 times more virus in their nasal passages than those infected with the original strain, according to new data.

“The delta variant is more aggressive and much more transmissible than previously circulating strains,” CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told reporters at a briefing Thursday. “It is one of the most infectious respiratory viruses we know of, and that I have seen in my 20 year career.”

The delta variant has spread quickly through the U.S., accounting for more than 83% of sequenced cases in the U.S. right now, up from 50% the week of July 3.

The seven-day average of new cases is up about 53% from last week, currently at 37,674 new cases per day. Hospitalizations are up 32% from last week at about 3,500 per day and deaths have also increased 19% in the same time frame to about 240 per day.

Last edited:
Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Right now I'm thinking I probably won't go. It's the first week of September, which would appear to be the worst possible time. I saw around a week ago a projection that the peak of the surge of delta infections is thought to be September! :oops:

I'll put my money on Labor Day being another big spreader event and due to lag, the results will start showing up around the 17th.

Reactions: Muse and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'll put my money on Labor Day being another big spreader event and due to lag, the results will start showing up around the 17th.

Also don't forget that EVERY school starts in Sept too ... with VERY few mask mandates in effect.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Antibody levels are expected to drop over time but the immune system remembers what the virus spike looks like and will, among other responses, pump them out again if it sees the virus. Unless a bunch of vaccinated people start showing up in the hospitals the vaccine is still working eve if it doesn't prevent quite as much symptomatic disease with this new variant. Some countries are considering boosters soonish for those who are especially vulnerable like the immunocompromised as a precaution, I think Israel has started.

Absent some major dangerous mutation that really puts a big dent in mRNA vaccine efficacy I'm not personally worried about boosting just yet. Though I know some people who got single dose J&J are boosting with an mRNA vaccine which probably isn't a bad idea. Similarly if you got Covid before now you should go get a single dose since the original infection works effectively as the prime shot.

I got the J&J vaccine because I was able to get it more quickly than the others. I’m debating getting a Pfizer dose as a booster but I know they’re testing new versions which will specifically target certain mutations, so it’s a tough call.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I got the J&J vaccine because I was able to get it more quickly than the others. I’m debating getting a Pfizer dose as a booster but I know they’re testing new versions which will specifically target certain mutations, so it’s a tough call.

From what we knew at the time getting the J&J was the only call if that was the first one available to you... I would have done the same thing FWIW.

Not like getting one of the mRNA shots too is going to hurt you.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
From what we knew at the time getting the J&J was the only call if that was the first one available to you... I would have done the same thing FWIW.

Not like getting one of the mRNA shots too is going to hurt you.
Well, it did make my arm hurt :p

• Haha

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I would not expect to see an authorized multivalent booster real soon unless something worse than Delta suddenly cropped up. I’d personally be inclined to opt for the 2nd shot now.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I would not expect to see an authorized multivalent booster real soon unless something worse than Delta suddenly cropped up. I’d personally be inclined to opt for the 2nd shot now.

There is a Lambda variant floating around now but I don't know much about it. I thought I heard that Pfizer was going to seek EUA for the multivalent booster by the end of August, but perhaps I misunderstood.