NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 602 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Encouragingly, both Pfizer and Moderna have said they can roll out boosters in a matter of weeks (i.e. a couple months with regulatory sign-off).

It was things like this reading about the mRNA vaccines that make me want either of those over the j&j

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It was things like this reading about the mRNA vaccines that make me want either of those over the j&j

Same here.

Any differences between the two mRNA versions are also extremely minor which makes sense since Moderna was essentially sub-contracting for Pfizer.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
What was my “geopolitical conclusion” when he broke out the R-word? Tell me.
Weird you'd direct passive aggression towards me, I wasn't any part of that particular thread of conversation and there were 3 posts that specifically addressed it.

Some of us have had spirited debates in this thread and I think that's actually great. What I happened to respond to was what felt like an "ad hominem" attack.

Same here.

Any differences between the two mRNA versions are also extremely minor which makes sense since Moderna was essentially sub-contracting for Pfizer.
Umm, you're probably confusing Pfizer and Germany's BioNTech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Looks like our region cases have slowed down now. We'll be going to stage 1 reopening on Friday. I THINK that means you'll be able to go inside stores again. Limited capacity though so it normally involves being in line up outside for a while. But it's still faster than ordering online and waiting a few days to a week for cubside pickup.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Rough story - an IT department employee was patient zero at their building, infected multiple people, and two IT personnel died :(

The virus spread to four coworkers in the department, who were unvaccinated and unmasked. But another coworker who had direct contact and exposure to patient zero was not infected, because he was vaccinated, Hopes said.

The two employees who died were identified as Mary Knight and Alphonso Cox, who both worked in the IT department.

Man that's rough. This is one of my concerns with my job in the IT field, as I visit multiple locations & interact with multiple people & sort of feel like I have the potential to be the infected rat in the Black Plague analogy. I'm fully vaccinated with Phizer at this point & also get tested on pretty much a weekly basis (I think I have a permanent dent inside my nose from how many times I've had to get poked, ugh!). I've been unwittingly exposed to infected people before & didn't find out until after the fact, which is less scary post-vaccination, but I always get tested to make sure I'm not an asymptomatic carrier. I've had to put some of my projects on hold just for safety reasons.

Most locations I've been to mirror the national average of less than 50% of the people vaccinated. I still wear a mask & take precautions. Although the death rate has fallen significantly recently, which is great news! We're also falling short of shipping out our committed quantity of vaccines due to logistics issues, as they have to be kept chilled the whole way, which is pretty difficult with overseas shipping to different countries:

I have some customers who do cold-chain logistics & have to do electronic temperature monitoring & authenticate the logs upon arrival to ensure that the product is still valid, which is not cheap nor very easy, because even the delay of a single day can cause expensive & major problems. Shipping out 80 million cold-pack doses worldwide is absolutely a logistical nightmare!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Getting infected because of work is the most infuriating thing, especially if it's a job that could have been done from home. Sad for those people that died. :(

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Supposedly a new variant called Delta Plus is beginning to circulate. Only 200 cases detected so far.

"According to the Indian government's Covid-19 genome sequencing body, the Delta Plus variant exhibits several worrying traits such as increased transmissibility, stronger binding to receptors of lung cells, and a potential reduction in antibody response.

It's not yet clear what effect the mutation may have on vaccine efficacy -- but Julian Tang, professor of respiratory sciences at the University of Leicester, warned it could potentially give the variant "significant vaccine escape properties."

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Rough story - an IT department employee was patient zero at their building, infected multiple people, and two IT personnel died :(

Even worse is that the daughter of the woman who died says it was stress not covid that killed her and nobody in their family is getting vaccinated. No sirree Bob.

"Stress killed her, not COVID. A healthy body and immune system [do] not need the vaccine.”

"No one in my family will be getting the vaccine,” Molly Hart told The Daily Beast.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

https://news.yahoo.com/her-mother-died-covid-won-003436175.html

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Even worse is that the daughter of the woman who died says it was stress not covid that killed her and nobody in their family is getting vaccinated. No sirree Bob.

"Stress killed her, not COVID. A healthy body and immune system [do] not need the vaccine.”

"No one in my family will be getting the vaccine,” Molly Hart told The Daily Beast.

Yeah, that's not just ignorance, that's _determined_ ignorance. She even sort of admitted that it was Covid that killed her mom (if I read between the lines), but only because her system was weakened because of stress.

Early on I thought that all it would take for some of the deniers (and now those refusing the vaccine) to change their thinking would be to have someone close to them be affected. It blows my mind that even a death in their immediate family won't.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

I would make the argument that stress wouldn't kill a healthy body & immune system...

You know, it took me well into my 30's, but I finally came to accept that you can't argue past people's false perceptions, because that involves trying to change another human being, which is out of our control. There are people who are willing to dig for gold & find the truth in a situation, and there are people who want to pick & choose what truth they believe & aren't going to be persuaded otherwise. I've been on these forums for 17 years (even longer as a lurker) & spent waaaaaay too much time feeding the trolls lol.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yeah, that's not just ignorance, that's _determined_ ignorance. She even sort of admitted that it was Covid that killed her mom (if I read between the lines), but only because her system was weakened because of stress.

Early on I thought that all it would take for some of the deniers (and now those refusing the vaccine) to change their thinking would be to have someone close to them be affected. It blows my mind that even a death in their immediate family won't.

Some of the most horrible stories I read are from doctors & nurses being attack by covid patient's dying breath that this was all a hoax, or it was something else but not covid:

A South Dakota nurse whose tweets went viral over the weekend says the hardest part of her job is convincing some critically ill patients that they really do have COVID-19. “Their last dying words are, ‘This can’t be happening, it’s not real,” Jodi Doering said on CNN. “Even after positive results come back, they don’t believe it.”

South Dakota is one of the nation’s worst coronavirus hot spots, but Gov. Kristi Noem has downplayed the threat of the virus and refused to put a mask mandate in place. Doering says some of her patients are also in denial, willing to believe almost anything else has made them so sick. “People want it to be influenza, they want it to be pneumonia, we’ve even had people say, ‘I think it could be lung cancer,’” she said. The nurse said that when she offers to hook some patients up with family by FaceTime for a last conversation, they say, ‘No, because I’m doing fine.’” She said the attitude is taking a toll on health-care workers. ‘It’s like a movie where the credits never roll,” she said.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Oddly enough, it often has the opposite effect! Like those cults that say the world's gonna end on a certain day or UFO's are gonna show up, and then miss the date...they double-up on their beliefs & go even harder & keep pushing the conspiracy theories, rather than recognizing reality. There's a really good interview here on the psychology of conspiracy theories:

Also, it turns out that only about 12 people are behind the disinformation campaigns about anti-vaccine misinformation:

1624643401298.png

Reactions: Zorba and Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

What lovely people.

Reactions: repoman0

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I can't decide if this is to the credit or discredit of 'medical science'

On the one hand, they actually carried out this study and found some very useful information. But on the other, it makes one wonder if they weren't overconfident about what they thought they 'knew' in the first place. As with the changing advice about masks in general, it seems as if the 'experts' went into this crisis without really acknowledging just how little they actually knew, and made overconfident initial recommendations.

I mean, this study will likely save lives, but how many lives could have been saved if they'd checked up on this right at the start?

Reactions: PingSpike

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Still masking at my hospital job. I was vaccinated when Pfizer vaccine was first released & am eagerly awaiting a booster shot.

I am in Boston, the amount of people walking into hospitals without masks or with them dangling below their noses is alarming. I am constantly trying to educate people on how to wear, don & doff & to use hand sanitize. I do this gently and while voicing concern for their well being. We have a fairly good vaccination rate here but the new strains honestly scare the heck out of me.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Heard on the news again tonight that mRNA vaccines might be good for years. I know we've heard that before & i guess we won't really know for sure until we get some time under our belts.
Has anyone heard any updates on how long immunity might be good for among those that had covid? I know quite a few people that won't get vaccinated because they already had it. "We're immune, we already had it."

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's good to know. I heard it was only like 6 months which seems short.

I think if you get covid the immunity is not very long actually. There has been cases of people getting it twice in a rather short period.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Heard on the news again tonight that mRNA vaccines might be good for years. I know we've heard that before & i guess we won't really know for sure until we get some time under our belts.
Has anyone heard any updates on how long immunity might be good for among those that had covid? I know quite a few people that won't get vaccinated because they already had it. "We're immune, we already had it."

So far all research suggests that acquired immunity from vaccines is going to be signifigantly superior to that from natural infection, especially with the kind mutations that are being seen. Anybody who already had COVID should go get at least one dose of vaccine is the judgement I've been seeing from the pros. The original natural infection works fine as the prime shot.

Reactions: Spacehead

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
We have a fairly good vaccination rate here but the new strains honestly scare the heck out of me.

I still check worldometers regularly. I am concerned that at some point places like California could see an uptick just like the UK has (which is not looking good right now), but until that starts happening I'm enjoying normalcy. If this thing keeps mutating which it will... at some point efficacy of the current mRNA vaccines will drop enough to warrant restrictions going back into place until everyone gets their boosters. And since I'm not could mentally handle another lockdown without getting this "summer break".