NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 601 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Fully vaccinated person dies of Delta variant. This is probably a rare case... but still concerning.

Not rare enough. I know COVID since I got it. It'll be back EVERY YEAR. I lost four months of full function this year and four months 2019-2020, only problem is that I cannot confirm the 2019 case because well, no one knew it then....

If there's one trait of COVID that is flu-like above all else, it is that will mutate beyond your "current protection".

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Fully vaccinated person dies of Delta variant. This is probably a rare case... but still concerning.
80 year old already in the hospital. Wonder what they were in the hospital for? And did they get covid while in the hospital?
It also said 1 of 2 deaths from the Delta variant. Yikes!

Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Most early data was pointing to damaged receptors/cells in the nose/nerve endings in the nose. It's been a wild ride for me. There's a whole range that are just...gone. A lot of spices, fruits, body care products, ect I'm just absolutely blind to. Some things I'm basically blind to it unless I just jam my nose in there. Instead of being able to smell when I open a fresh can of coffee beans, I now have to take the can and stick my nose in there and it's so faint that it's basically an essence of coffee. There's a lot of things that fall in this range. And once I take a big whiff of it, I basically burn out whatever that smell is and it's gone for hours/days. Can't pick it back up. There's a couple weird things I consistently smell. I'm ultra sensitive to seafood now. To the point I almost can't go into the meat counter in a lot of grocery stores. I get about 40 feet from it and it's like someone took 3 day old shrimp that sat out in the sun and stuck it under my nose. Same thing with some artificial flavors. Artificial strawberry and watermelon are very strong. I also was at an artisan market that had essential oils and there was a vanilla scent there that sent my entire body tingling. It was so bizarre.

My sense of smell was by far my "best" sense before Covid. I could identify a wide range of bourbons by their nose, could recreate dishes based on seasoning between taste and smell, and now that's all gone. It feels silly to be depressed over it, but it really is a very significant change in quality of life. Not just for me, but also my family. My wife has anxiety in cooking/planning meals because I don't crave anything any more. I used to be a micro-meal eater. I'd space out 3-5 small snacks throughout the day and a modest, nice dinner. Now I can go an entire day and unless my stomach starts churning from raw hunger, I just don't eat. I crave nothing. Very little food is satisfying. I can't taste sweet or salty. I can sort of pick up richness in ice cream but most other flavors going on there are muted. There's absolutely no point in my spending money at a fancy restaurant or a number of cultural cuisines that rely on herbs/aromas to balance out the flavors. I used to love Thai food, but now I can't pick up cilantro or basil well. Same with green onions and peanuts. It's all just gone.
Sense suppression is interesting with COVID because for me, it essentially gave something like morphine(although I've never taken it or fentanyl or anything else since pain is not a issue with me) to my entire body but then it leaves and then I feel the damage it did to my body. There was one "apex" day in which the virus likely was on its last legs and I felt like a champ that day. Then the next couple of weeks I was coughing a lot but no longer tested positive. Eventually, my muscle aches, headaches and misery from gum disease, etc all came back.

Apparently COVID hasn't suppressed touch or sight yet....

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It still is an underlying racist conspiracy theory.

The evidence for a lab accident being the cause is low, and the evidence of it being an engineered virus in some fashion (de novo or some sort of gain of function work) is nonexistent.

The story is largely being pushed to absolve certain other peoples of their failures to properly respond to the pandemic. It's certainly not because the general public and those public officials are genuinely curious about BSL3/4 lab safety, and if we need to address that to prevent future accidents (if indeed, that was the what precipitated this whole affair).

It is important to try and understand where the virus originated, as these kinds of pandemics could happen again as we have greater encroachment on wild habitats (without any sort of future hypothetical lab accident); however the level of discourse is not conducive to actually figuring out what happened; the public discourse largely wants to assign blame.
Mr. in-the-box follower spewing his usual nonsense.

There is nothing xenophobic about blaming a part of the totalitarian Chinese government's in fucking up the world because they fucked up protocol within the lab.

I think anyone with a basic brain can distinguish between the institution and the people. The common folk had no way to cause a lab leak.

People like Alina Chan are properly researching into the matter and not doing it for political brownie points.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

This story was widely reported a few days ago - 12 out of 42 delta-variant COVID deaths were of people who were fully vaccinated.

I honestly don't know how significant that is, medically or statistically. Doesn't sound good though.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The new variant(s) surely is a concern of mine. That's why I am still follow the same protocols (mask, distance, and no big crowd) that I have been doing since the beginning of Covid.

I drove past a festival earlier tonight and it was packed as before Covid. Not for me so I kept driving.

Numerous countries in Asia are still fighting the variants of the virus.

Reactions: Captante

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The new variant(s) surely is a concern of mine. That's why I am still follow the same protocols (mask, distance, and no big crowd) that I have been doing since the beginning of Covid.

I drove past a festival earlier tonight and it was packed as before Covid. Not for me so I kept driving.

Numerous countries in Asia are still fighting the variants of the virus.
I’m concerned but not enough for me to stop going back to living normal. I‘ll use mask if I feel the need but other than that, it’s going to be business as usual for me. I’m waiting on quarantine exemption rules clarification from the South Korean embassy in Atlanta so I can book my flight to Seoul and squeeze in a trip before my daughter starts college in the fall. But no one there can tell me the turnaround time on the quarantine exemption application approval so I can’t book my plane ticket yet. And I want to book now while the certain airfares are still cheap. Ugh, first world problems I guess.

Dec 10, 2005
Imagine being told your vaccine is outdated a month after getting it, here come the boosters. Best defense is still to get healthy, suppliment with Vit D and avoid an inflammatory diet (sugar).

View attachment 45999
Tell me you don't know how vaccines and immunity work without telling me you don't know how vaccines and immunity work.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Tell me you don't know how vaccines and immunity work without telling me you don't know how vaccines and immunity work.

Until the entire world is vaccinated new variants will pop up yes ? How long will that take ? How many boosters are you willing to consume until places like India are fully vaccinated ?

Dec 10, 2005
Until the entire world is vaccinated new variants will pop up yes ? How long will that take ? How many boosters are you willing to consume until places like India are fully vaccinated ?
The vaccine still provides some protection against variants, because immunity is not some binary thing of it works or it doesn't. It's a sliding scale.

As for the boosters hypothetical, if they are needed or become available, sure, I'll be one of the first to sign up because vaccines are one of the greatest public health measures for fighting disease, potential complications from a covid infection are real, and I'm not an idiot.

However, it's also not necessarily going to be a long game of cat and mouse with variants and boosters until the whole world is vaccinated. Tamping down on raging out of control infections with existing measures and vaccines will go a long way towards mitigating outbreaks with future variants (ie, limiting the pool of circulating virus and opportunities to mutate).

Reactions: uclaLabrat

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The Astra Zeneca vaccine is a two dose vaccine but it's not mRNA. How are the mRNA vaccines holding up against the Delta variant?

Mar 11, 2004
Most people have stopped wearing masks unless explicitly required to here in Phoenix. Easily under 50% and I guarantee the vaccination rates are below that. Thankfully work still has most of the safety protocols in place. I was always expecting boosters. Unfortunately the places re-opened already and trying to gloat about how great its been going for them are gonna end up with a wake up call as other variants start to hit.

I wish I could say I was baffled about certain people going "what, there might be permanent damage?!?" when we've known this for some time (and its certainly not unheard of with disease in general). Its like people decided to just read nothing but the dumbest dumb shit they possibly could with regards to diseases. I do appreciate vi_edit sharing his experience, especially if apparently that's the wake up call needed for some people. It really is astounding how willfully ignorant people want to be. Makes me shake my head when people go "its just like the flu" when the flu is actually pretty goddamn bad and we should have been wearing masks and harping about washing hands for that.

Guess we know who's mult another user is.

I get that you probably haven't gotten any vaccine that you didn't get when you were a kid, but its not like "boosters" is really an issue. We've been doing it for the flu for instance, and its one of the big reasons we haven't had another major flu pandemic (which just of course fuels people like you going "we didn't have the sky is falling epidemic, so we don't need the flu vaccine!" despite that being simply broken logic).

I mean, is getting a little poke in the arm, say hell even every 6 months too much to prevent a major illness that killed ~500,000 Americans in a single year (and going to have lots of longer term problems), too much trouble? Its easier than eating healthy and provides better protection against it.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Mr. in-the-box follower spewing his usual nonsense.

There is nothing xenophobic about blaming a part of the totalitarian Chinese government's in fucking up the world because they fucked up protocol within the lab.

I think anyone with a basic brain can distinguish between the institution and the people. The common folk had no way to cause a lab leak.

People like Alina Chan are properly researching into the matter and not doing it for political brownie points.
Geopolitical conclusion rendered with zero proof or evidentiary basis, but somehow it's the other guy who's spewing nonsense...

The Astra Zeneca vaccine is a two dose vaccine but it's not mRNA. How are the mRNA vaccines holding up against the Delta variant?
Early reporting is pretty good (mid 70 percent efficacy) for the BioNTech vaccine (and by supposition, Moderna). The primary difference in this data is that the efficacy is weak after the first dose (in the 30s) so getting to 2 weeks after the second dose is very important.

As Brainonska511 said, for now the best (mRNA) vaccines are still quite effective against the trickier variants; but it remains to be seen if that will hold. Encouragingly, both Pfizer and Moderna have said they can roll out boosters in a matter of weeks (i.e. a couple months with regulatory sign-off).

Reactions: MrSquished

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
As Brainonska511 said, for now the best (mRNA) vaccines are still quite effective against the trickier variants; but it remains to be seen if that will hold. Encouragingly, both Pfizer and Moderna have said they can roll out boosters in a matter of weeks (i.e. a couple months with regulatory sign-off).

I think you will see boosters eventually regardless if only because there's going to be demand for it. Especially if it's going to be that easy for them.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Why is a booster a big deal? I've had 6 Hep B shots, 4 Hep A, 5+ Tdap, at least 4 MMRs, etc.

Much better than getting any of those diseases.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Geopolitical conclusion rendered with zero proof or evidentiary basis, but somehow it's the other guy who's spewing nonsense...

Early reporting is pretty good (mid 70 percent efficacy) for the BioNTech vaccine (and by supposition, Moderna). The primary difference in this data is that the efficacy is weak after the first dose (in the 30s) so getting to 2 weeks after the second dose is very important.

What was my “geopolitical conclusion” when he broke out the R-word? Tell me.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

If hospitalization is the endpoint UK recently said two doses of mRNA vaccine (BNT) were 96% effective against Delta. Oxford (AZ) adenovirus vaccine not far behind at 92%.

Really need the antibody levels pumped up from the booster and prior infection isn't a sufficient shield anymore.

This variant is going to explode across the unvaccinated population in the US in the coming weeks. Going to be a weird situation where high vax areas have little to no hospitalizations/deaths and low vax places are seeing another surge.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If hospitalization is the endpoint UK recently said two doses of mRNA vaccine (BNT) were 96% effective against Delta. Oxford (AZ) adenovirus vaccine not far behind at 92%.

Really need the antibody levels pumped up from the booster and prior infection isn't a sufficient shield anymore.

This variant is going to explode across the unvaccinated population in the US in the coming weeks. Going to be a weird situation where high vax areas have little to no hospitalizations/deaths and low vax places are seeing another surge.

It's been happening. It just gets lost in the numbers. Rural hospitals are slammed right now. But when it's a 10 bed ICU vs a couple hundred it's just noise. Suffice it to say, those that know what is happening are concerned.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's been happening. It just gets lost in the numbers. Rural hospitals are slammed right now. But when it's a 10 bed ICU vs a couple hundred it's just noise. Suffice it to say, those that know what is happening are concerned.

Yeah I have no doubt it's already ramping.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010

Oh no it's going to explode !

Kind of like how it exploded in England and did.... Well almost nothing in terms of real world impact.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Kind of like how it exploded in England and did.... Well almost nothing in terms of real world impact.

Pretty confident in saying that England doesn't have the massive areas of "concentrated stupid" like the southern US does these days resulting in more people vaccinated ... which most likely explains this.

So I hope you are correct (for your kids sake especially), but if I lived someplace with a high concentration of folks who think science is "make-believe" and vaccines are "the devil's work" I would be worried.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

We still have a huge population cutting across the age gradient who isn't vaccinated for partisan reasons. We aren't the UK.

States sitting in the low 40s vaccination rates are sitting ducks. Likely to be a bunch of counties in even the teens and low 20s.