NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 598 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

They are finding solid evidence it was in 5 states in Dec. 2019.

Last upper respiratory infection I had was pesky, lasted longer than I thought it should. My memory was Nov. 2019, but maybe late. I wondered later if it could have been covid-19. I'm in Berkeley, CA.

My cousin died in Manhattan in Feb. 2020 after having complained of the worst cold he ever had. He wasn't real old and in good condition. He'd consorted with people in a touristy area. His sister requested they test him to see if it was covid-19, but she was told it wasn't around and wouldn't do the testing. She believes it WAS covid-19.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
The summaries I've heard make it seem like Jon sounds the same as any other nut-job conspiracy theorist.

Yep. Before Stewart did that every liberal would get down and suck his dick. Now he is a nutjob... Jon Stewart has never been afraid to tell the truth. I have disagreed with him on a ton of stuff but he is just stating the obvious.

Reactions: gill77

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yep. Before Stewart did that every liberal would get down and suck his dick. Now he is a nutjob... Jon Stewart has never been afraid to tell the truth. I have disagreed with him on a ton of stuff but he is just stating the obvious.

These two statements do not make sense together.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Study published yesterday (by Fair Health, a non profit) indicates 1/4th of covid-19 patients develop covid long-haul issues:

A Detailed Study of Patients with Long Haul Covid

Summary

Many patients recover from COVID-19 within a few weeks, but some exhibit persistent or new symptoms more than four weeks after first being diagnosed. Patients with such post-COVID conditions are variously referred to as having long-haul COVID, long COVID or post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC). Using longitudinal data from a database of over 34 billion private healthcare claim records, FAIR Health studied a total of 1,959,982 COVID-19 patients for the prevalence of post-COVID conditions 30 days or more after their initial diagnosis with COVID-19. To FAIR Health’s knowledge, this is the largest population of COVID-19 patients so far studied for post-COVID conditions. The patients’ post-COVID conditions were analyzed, with the most common conditions identified. Particular attention was given to age and gender, mental health conditions and death. Among the key findings:

• Of patients who had COVID-19, 23.2 percent had at least one post-COVID condition.

• Post-COVID conditions were found to a greater extent in patients who had more severe cases of COVID-19, but also in a substantial share of patients whose cases lacked symptoms. Of patients who were hospitalized with COVID-19, the percentage that had a post-COVID condition was 50 percent; of patients who were symptomatic but not hospitalized, 27.5 percent; and of patients who were asymptomatic, 19 percent.

• The five most common post-COVID conditions across all ages, in order from most to least common, were pain, breathing difficulties, hyperlipidemia, malaise and fatigue, and hypertension.

• The ranking of the most common post-COVID conditions varied by age group. For example, in the pediatric population (0-18), pain and breathing difficulties were the top two conditions, as in the all-ages cohort, but intestinal issues, rather than hyperlipidemia, were the third most common.

• Most of the post-COVID conditions that were evaluated were associated more with females than males. In the case of 12 conditions, however, males more commonly had the condition diagnosed than females. For example, of patients who had post-COVID cardiac inflammation, 52 percent were male and 48 percent female. By age, the largest share (25.4 percent) with this condition was found in a young cohort—individuals aged 19-29.

• Of the four mental health conditions evaluated as post-COVID conditions, anxiety was associated with the highest percentage of patients after COVID-19 in all age groups. Depression was second, adjustment disorders third and tic disorders fourth.

• The odds of death 30 days or more after initial diagnosis with COVID-19 were 46 times higher for patients who were hospitalized with COVID-19 and discharged than patients who had not been hospitalized (odds ratio [OR]=46.020, 95 percent confidence interval [CI], 34.778-60.897, P<0.001). Of COVID-19 patients who were hospitalized and discharged, 0.5 percent died 30 days or more after their initial diagnosis.

• Among COVID-19 patients with preexisting conditions, intellectual disabilities were associated with the highest odds of death 30 days or more after initial COVID-19 diagnosis (OR=3.082, 95 percent CI, 1.183-8.029, P=0.0212).
- - - -

From the NY Times article published yesterday about this study:

“Some of these manifestations are chronic conditions that will last a lifetime and will forever scar some individuals and families,” added Dr. Al-Aly, who was an author of a large study published in April of lingering symptoms in Covid patients in the Department of Veterans Affairs health system.

- - - -
From the NYTimes article:

The database included only people with private health insurance or Medicare Advantage, not those uninsured or covered by Medicare Parts A, B and D, Medicaid or other government health programs. Dr. Chu said people without insurance or with incomes low enough to qualify for Medicaid are often “more likely to have worse outcomes,” so the findings may understate the prevalence of some post-Covid health problems or may not represent the full picture.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Here's a cheerful comment to the NYTimes article linked in previous post:

Betsy
oregon11h ago
I have in-laws who don’t think wearing masks and getting vaccines is necessary. These bright spots decided to catch Covid19 on purpose so they could acquire immunity. It almost killed one of them: last October, he had two separate strokes, two cases of severe pneumonia, long-term ventilation, removal of part of the bowel and gall bladder, a tracheotomy, a feeding tube, and more. He was in the hospital for over two months, then in and out of emergency rooms. He is still on oxygen, mostly bed-ridden, and requiring multiple therapists. The financial burden on our family is large and ongoing. I’m sure that the US will be paying long-term disability benefits to many adults with long or chronic COVID-19.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I couldn't care less if China is responsible or not. I have no dog in that race. I simply require evidence and I'll change my mind. It isn't difficult. You are projecting your own biases onto me.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah, but you pay an arm and a leg extra typically.

Actually not so much anymore ... in newer cruise ships they build the majority of cabins with decent size windows/ports and some have 6-7 (or more) decks with balconies of varying sizes as well.

That's not to say you won't pay a bit extra for a nicer cabin then for one deck above the crew quarters but with careful shopping it won't be much of a premium at all. (I've done it multiple times)

Now if you decide you have to have the Imperial-suite on the top deck (or whatever that particular ship calls it) yes, you can expect to pay through the nose.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
A pretty good article on why the lab-leak idea is likely to be complete bs:

Didn't read the article but given that The Man(tm) has stopped suppressing discussing the lab leak theory means that they now have evidence it's likely true.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
A pretty good article on why the lab-leak idea is likely to be complete bs:
You sure you want to endorse that as “good?”

I see at least a few hallmarks of face-saving, soft-power, Chinese propaganda and Wolf Warrior diplomacy.
tBqwL76l.jpg

I think the biggest evidence against lab leak is the frozen sewage testing from Spain or France or wherever that tested positive for the virus several months before the Wuhan outbreak. It was even tested with two different PCR tests that check for completely different parts. Earlier and later samples tested negative and the positive samples coincided with something like Mobile World Congress bringing many foreigners into town.

Since it obviously didn’t start a pandemic then it seems the virus was still developing into something more transmissible after zoonotic introduction, which flies in the face of suggestions that it was engineered or even the result of Gain of Function research. The idea that it started “fully formed” and primed to infect humans with ACE2 + Furin Cleavage Site may be pure conspiracy theory, but we can’t act like a zoonotic infection precludes a lab leak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I really like this:

More and more are waking up the unnecessary corporate commuting bs thanks to the pandemic.

People are starting to see part-time remote isn't even an option when the job is fully remote capable. YOLO and live and work where you want if possible.
Yeah, my company has been saying they'd do a hybrid approach. All of the first level managers I've heard talk about it are saying at most 1 day a week in the office scheduled. The program I support sent out an email saying 3 days a week, then immediately changed that to 4. Literally all of the engineering leads lost their shit and we all said we'd be going to different programs. So far I haven't heard any more about it.

Middle level managers that sit in meetings all day and want to feel like they have an army at their command. Maybe I'd feel differently if any of them actually ever stopped by my desk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
So my wife is probably going to drop out of the Novavax trial in the next few days, because no one will accept it as a good vaccine since they keep pushing back their EUA. The big one right now being work. She is planning on getting the J&J on top of the Novavax.

My daughter is signed up for Moderna trial, just told today that they don't expect to actually start with 5 year-olds until September. Likely for phase 3 at that point.

I can't believe how bad we dropped the ball on children's trials. I'll be shocked if they are approved before December and surprised if they are at all this year.

Reactions: Captante and Muse
Dec 10, 2005
You sure you want to endorse that as “good?”

I see at least a few hallmarks of face-saving, soft-power, Chinese propaganda and Wolf Warrior diplomacy.
tBqwL76l.jpg

I think the biggest evidence against lab leak is the frozen sewage testing from Spain or France or wherever that tested positive for the virus several months before the Wuhan outbreak. It was even tested with two different PCR tests that test for completely different parts. Earlier and later samples tested negative and the positive samples coincided with something like Mobile World Congress bringing many foreigners into town. Since it obviously didn’t start a pandemic yet is seems the virus was still developing into something more transmissible after zoonotic introduction, which flies in the face of suggestions that it was engineered or even the result of again of Function research. The idea that it started “fully formed” and primed to infect humans with ACE2 + Furin Cleavage Site may be pure conspiracy theory, but we can’t act like a zoonotic infection precludes a lab leak.
So your evidence against the article is a popup on Foreign Policy magazine that is probably autotriggered by article content and a racist trope about the journalist's surname?

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris
Nov 8, 2012
So your evidence against the article is a popup on Foreign Policy magazine that is probably autotriggered by article content and a racist trope about the journalist's surname?

Theres really nothing of any sustenance in the article (including credibility) - and an entire slew of mounting evidence that it did originate there.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So my wife is probably going to drop out of the Novavax trial in the next few days, because no one will accept it as a good vaccine since they keep pushing back their EUA. The big one right now being work. She is planning on getting the J&J on top of the Novavax.

My daughter is signed up for Moderna trial, just told today that they don't expect to actually start with 5 year-olds until September. Likely for phase 3 at that point.

I can't believe how bad we dropped the ball on children's trials. I'll be shocked if they are approved before December and surprised if they are at all this year.

Pfizer/BNT started dosing in their pediatric trials at the end of March IIRC. They'll make it to EUA this fall I'd bet.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So did Moderna, that was Phase 1, dose finding of the older age cohort.

They've since progressed and are dosing in the larger trial now.

June 8 (Reuters) - Pfizer Inc (PFE.N) said on Tuesday it will begin testing its COVID-19 vaccine in a larger group of children under age 12 after selecting a lower dose of the shot in an earlier stage of the trial.

The study will enroll up to 4,500 children at more than 90 clinical sites in the United States, Finland, Poland and Spain, the company said.

Based on safety, tolerability and the immune response generated by 144 children in a phase I study of the two-dose shot, Pfizer said it will test a dose of 10 micrograms in children between 5 and 11 years of age, and 3 micrograms for the age group of 6 months to 5.

A Pfizer spokesperson said the company expects data from 5- to 11-year-olds in September and would likely ask regulators for emergency use authorization later that month. Data for children 2 to 5 years old could arrive soon after that, he said.

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ovid-19-vaccine-children-below-12-2021-06-08/