NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 594 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Outbreak at another grocery store (2nd one now in past few weeks) and one at a Tim Horton's.

I'm not even surprised about that particular grocery store, that place is always PACKED. I very rarely go there since I just hate dealing with big crowds. Even the parking lot is a nightmare.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Bad news in Asia.

Malaysia is shutting down the whole country, again -

Empty streets, shuttered malls as Malaysia begins third nationwide COVID-19 lockdown - CNA (channelnewsasia.com)

Largest city in Vietnam is imposing two weeks social distance (code word for restrictions, not shut down - for now)-

HCMC imposes two-week social distancing - VnExpress International

New "hybrid" of Indian and UK -

New cases in Singapore, food stalls to shut down -

15 new COVID-19 community cases in Singapore; all Hua Zai food stalls to shut amid 'likely ongoing transmission' among workers - CNA (channelnewsasia.com)

Mainland china has human bird flu -

China reports first human case of H10N3 bird flu - CNA (channelnewsasia.com)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Captante

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
There's a lot of posts in this thread, so I figure I should just ask this way:
@CZroe, @Ichinisan, didn't one or both of you some long time back, describe a scenario where a few Wuhan lab/field researchers were obtaining field samples from bat caves (in the one non-Wuhan region sometimes cited as the genetic origin, right?), and they were described as free-clothed, and this all occurred in autumn 2019?

If I'm remembering that correctly, now I have to say I feel like a good working theory is that it ends up not even being a "lab leak" and rather ends up being careless researchers spreading it near their workplace when they were still asymptomatic and in street clothes before donning any protective gear inside the lab itself. Could even be they spread it via something like a handshake before they even first got to the facility with the specimens so that there were more than just the researchers in the first exposure event.
This?

...though I recall something even closer to what you describe with a video documentary showing them collect the samples but that was probably pre-2019 with regards to finding the exact population of bats that the original SARS virus came from.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Just checking in to say Fauci didn't believe in masks, yet we've all been wearing them for a year, whoops ! Finally something me and him agree on 😂 Wonder what else they lied about ? Carry on.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Just checking in to say Fauci didn't believe in masks, yet we've all been wearing them for a year, whoops ! Finally something me and him agree on 😂 Wonder what else they lied about ? Carry on.
Ugh, that was his public position back then too. Where were you last year when Fauci and the CDC and the US Surgeon General and CNN and everyone else publicly reversed their position on cloth and surgical masks? That was when Trump first announced that it wasn’t mandatory and everyone flipped their sh!z that Trump was ignoring the science by electing not to wear one. That was when the SG got up there and showed everyone how to make their own mask from an old T-Shirt. That was when your ilk first attacked Fauci for changing his mind.

*facepalm*

Saw some brain-dead PragerU Fauci email “leak” live-streaming thing yesterday where Will Whitt made the same brain-dead groan-worthy observation about mask guidance today versus then and also stupidly thought he found a contradiction. You people have the memory of a goldfish.

Also, everyone needs to stop calling these emails “leaked.” It was a FOIA request. FFS, they were RELEASED, not “leaked.”

The facts are that even if you still got the virus, wearing a mask reduces your viral load which reduces the severity and could even make your infection asymptomatic if it doesn’t prevent your infection entirely (viral load typically needs to cross a threshold to start a new infection). They also weren’t saying that N95 masks are ineffective. They have never said that.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The biggest mask flip flopper has probably been Dr. Tam. One day she says masks don't do anything the other day she says they do, the other day she says they don't, then the next day she says they do, but you need to layer more than one etc... It's ridiculous at this point lol.

Nov 8, 2012
Ugh, that was his public position back then too. Where were you last year when Fauci and the CDC and the US Surgeon General and CNN and everyone else publicly reversed their position on cloth and surgical masks? That was when Trump first announced that it wasn’t mandatory and everyone flipped their sh!z that Trump was ignoring the science by electing not to wear one. That was when the SG got up there and showed everyone how to make their own mask from an old T-Shirt. That was when your ilk first attacked Fauci for changing his mind.

*facepalm*

Saw some brain-dead PragerU Fauci email “leak” live-streaming thing yesterday where Will Whitt made the same brain-dead groan-worthy observation about mask guidance today versus then and also stupidly thought he found a contradiction. You people have the memory of a goldfish.

Also, everyone needs to stop calling these emails “leaked.” It was a FOIA request. FFS, they were RELEASED, not “leaked.”

The facts are that even if you still got the virus, wearing a mask reduces your viral load which reduces the severity and could even make your infection asymptomatic if it doesn’t prevent your infection entirely (viral load typically needs to cross a threshold to start a new infection). They also weren’t saying that N95 masks are ineffective. They have never said that.

The main scrutiny was just making public statements on the subject and declaring the result when clearly not researched.

It's okay in life to say "I don't know, thats currently being researched".

We went through the ringer with them all:
1. Mask or no mask
2. Masks only protect others from you spreading vs. Masks protect the wearer as well
3. Cloth is useless vs. only surgeons/N95 are useful
4. Wearing double mask is more likely to get COVID vs. Wearing 2
5. "Follow the CDC Guidelines!"... Then the CDC says wearing a mask inside/outside is no longer necessary when fully vaccinated and all of a sudden the people who said obey the CDC now shy away from it.

The scrutiny here is simple: Stop declaring things if you aren't sure.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There seems to be a weird stigma in the professional world to admit you are not sure about something. I remember working help desk and no matter what we always had to act like we know 100% everything all the time. Basically had to fake it if we didn't know. I always hated that.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
5. "Follow the CDC Guidelines!"... Then the CDC says wearing a mask inside/outside is no longer necessary when fully vaccinated and all of a sudden the people who said obey the CDC now shy away from it.

About that... I'm 100% convinced now that the guideline change came from pols if not Biden himself who's been pressured to rollback the unemployment/PUA extension. That's not gonna happen since it would make Biden look bad but they can start forcing people to look for a job to keep unemployment. The mask requirement had to go because keeping it implies that it's still dangerous to be out there even vaccinated.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
The main scrutiny was just making public statements on the subject and declaring the result when clearly not researched.

1. Mask or no mask
2. Masks only protect others from you spreading vs. Masks protect the wearer as well

😂😂😂

Yeah that's not how anything (in science or life) actually works. You go with the best available information at the time, and if that information changes, you CHANGE YOUR FUCKING PERSPECTIVE.

This is not difficult.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Also what's even funnier is that all of your stated complaints aren't even mutually exclusive/contradictory.

Also, can you elaborate on why one might want to be more conservative than current CDC reqs? Or, more succinctly, why the difference between the CDC's scientific recommendation vs. Good public policy?

Nov 8, 2012
😂😂😂

Yeah that's not how anything (in science or life) actually works. You go with the best available information at the time, and if that information changes, you CHANGE YOUR FUCKING PERSPECTIVE.

This is not difficult.

Except... you know.... "decisions" during a pandemic can have detrimental effects.

I love how we have complete morons advocating for giving answers prior to research in the name of "feels good".

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Link to Fauci ever saying masks weren't effective. I'll wait.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

1. Mask or no mask

Is it better to wait years until the science is fully flushed out? I think they did a pretty good job all things considered. When Fauci recommended against wearing masks originally it was to protect the supply for healthcare workers and before there was known community spread throughout the US, and there was literally no supply of cotton masks anywhere.

As has been explained to you MANY times, #5 people are annoyed that non-vaccinated people aren't following the CDC guidelines.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
There seems to be a weird stigma in the professional world to admit you are not sure about something. I remember working help desk and no matter what we always had to act like we know 100% everything all the time. Basically had to fake it if we didn't know. I always hated that.
Fauci hedges all the time, says we don't know for sure and things are being researched. It's idiots with agendas that strip all nuance and qualification from his statements.

This is why science normally takes years to do something, because some idiot will be like "well you know you had this hypothesis a year ago, but now you are saying testing shows this. Your a LIAR!!! Science is fake!"

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm pretty sure stopping at a red light is living in fear of government overreach too. YOLO and RUN THE RED LIGHTS FULL SPEED AHEAD!
There was an older guy in my neighborhood who used to stand on the corner (just outside his corner house) that's on a pretty busy street and give all the motorists thumbs up and shout "be careful!!!" He did this for years, was quite famous for it. I used to ride by on my bicycle and get this treatment. It actually bothered me, I won't bother to try to explain. But now I figure maybe he was OK doing that. By and large the townspeople seemed to absolutely love him!

Last edited:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Except... you know.... "decisions" during a pandemic can have detrimental effects.

I love how we have complete morons advocating for giving answers prior to research in the name of "feels good".
😂😂😂😂😂😂

Oh fuck you doubled down? OK, let's just give this a hypothetical:

*Fauci press conference*
"Well, we have no concrete data one way or the other weather or not masks are effective. We know that they can reduce transmission from infected persons if there is aerosolized spread, but most coronaviruses don't spread that way. We also know that N95 masks can protect the wearer from infection, but again only if it's transmissible by aerosols.

We're gonna go ahead and take 4-8 months to design, conduct, analyze, and review a study to vet those assumptions, so we'll check back in some time in summer. Maybe.

Oh what? 3k people are dying everyday? Yeah, we'll keep you posted."

"Morons" are going off THE BEST INFO AVAILABLE AT THE TIME, which may or may not turn out to be suspect. You want them to just do radio silence until they know? You fucking clowns bitched when biden didn't hold a press conference for two weeks.

Please.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm sorry to hear that. Just remember the vast majority end up okay.

Last I heard on dogs was no, but that was a long time ago.
If you go "moderate to severe" your chances of having long term covid effects are 70%, it's been determined. It's nothing to scoff at, they've found 84 different effects so far. Dr. Mike Hansen called covid-19 the pathogen with the most possible effects on the human body of any known in history.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kaido