NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 587 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I'm not sure if this proves that vaccinated people can still spread COVID-19, or that the J&J vaccine that the Yankees used sucks. Maybe both?

Because the foolishly optimistic press is being pumped out for the sake of money and preventing mass panic? The one potential similarity to the flu for a disease no one really knows about was that it can come back periodically with a few slight mutations, but that point never got any real emphasis. Or perhaps the readers and listeners didn't want to believe it can come back by erroneous inference.

I'm a broken record, but I can related to that player.

I tested positive this year. Still feeling it a bit although the dental matter I'm dealing with still isn't fully done. But it's annoying 3 months after a positive test that my heart is literally not feeling it.

I didn't get tested during last year and Nov. 2019 because my suspicious symptoms were one, way too early, and two, I was way too young. Three, the symptoms were more subtle, with being extremely exhausted for two weeks in November. But similar to my verified case, I wasn't feeling it with an odd never-ending exhaustion that was persistent into February and March....

So, if the virus does its usual thing, I can expect to lose at least three months of productivity and mental energy. I get severely compromised in doing even the lightest of physical activity and being so irritable that even important matters get shelved due to the exhaustion.

I am glad I got infection 1 because infection 2 sure felt like I wasn't near the cliff but close enough to get a taste of what the fall could be like.

It is this taxing effect long term on me that tempts me badly to get vaccinated and re-vaccinated every 6 months. Because despite living quite the isolated and introverted life(and being a virgin), just a trip to Walmart or Home depot is all I need to get whacked even if I never talk to anyone and go through self-checkout. Short of ticks and mosquitos, mishandled food, or me eating my own shit, respiratory diseases are the only things I deal with disease wise.

And also, the virus can be a painkiller of sorts. That was my loss of sense. Not smell or taste suppression, but pain suppression. My teeth were in pain just a week prior but then I got COVID and I got relief...and a false sense of nothing was wrong teeth-wise....then COVID went away and everything came back.

I'm on the other extreme. The who thinks not only the turds are fools, but the arrogantly self-proclaimed good guys are also complacent little louts more satisfied with their paycheck and helping Wall Street and governments make money.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
True, but I'm not sure if more stimmies is a good idea right now. We already have inflation and shortages of things like electronics and lumber right now.

The chip shortage is not stimulus related. Companies (especially in China) are hoarding and it could last years.

Lumber is only stimulus related in the sense that demand went up somewhat and the industry simply has little to no excess capacity (tariffs on Canadian wood not helping tho). A bunch of mills that had expanded in the oughts went tits up when the housing crash happened in 08. Even though there is demand and the US is short millions of housing units the mills refuse to expand because so many people got burned.

Reactions: zinfamous

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The chip shortage is not stimulus related. Companies (especially in China) are hoarding and it could last years.

People definitely mass bought TVs with stimmy money (as opposed to say paying their Rent) albeit you would think that's only sporatic now. Plus anything related to crypto is a direct result of the stimulus. The laptop surge in demand is more due to the shutdowns than the stimulus.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
People definitely mass bought TVs with stimmy money (as opposed to say paying their Rent) albeit you would think that's only sporatic now. Plus anything related to crypto is a direct result of the stimulus. The laptop surge in demand is more due to the shutdowns than the stimulus.

Dwarfed by Chinese companies trying to get ahead of sanctions and everybody else seeing the supply dry up rushing in orders. It's created a panic that is now feeding on itself.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I am no doctor but from everything I read before getting the vaccine I really wanted one of the two mRNA ones. I truly felt it was a superior product and I believe that most issues with vaccinated people going forward will be with the J&J or Astra Zeneca vs the two shot mRNA versions. I was debating whether or not to reject a J&J vaccine if that is what they had when I showed up. Luckily I got Pfizer.
I was thinking similarly, so when the first vaccine I got a chance to get was Moderna, I surprised myself how fast and efficiently I got to the site and rolled up my sleeve! It may have been less than an hour including going through the online sign-up process.

Scroll down at this page for a photo (the last one on the page) of the guy through the windshield of his car with the thumbs-up... that's me! ;)

Reactions: jman19

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Damn that's too bad that it did not work out. I feel the direction things need to go is instead of prevention is to simply find ways to treat the bad cases but so far I guess no good ways have been found. Even with the vaccine it's still going to be around for a while I think.

Getting my shot tomorrow, it's interesting they're running clinics even on weekends but glad they are since I've been working most of the time in the week these days.

I'll be sure to take an obligatory vaccine selfie. :p

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Damn that's too bad that it did not work out. I feel the direction things need to go is instead of prevention is to simply find ways to treat the bad cases but so far I guess no good ways have been found. Even with the vaccine it's still going to be around for a while I think.

Getting my shot tomorrow, it's interesting they're running clinics even on weekends but glad they are since I've been working most of the time in the week these days.

I'll be sure to take an obligatory vaccine selfie. :p
There are some anti-virals in early phase trials that have good preliminary data.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Scroll down at this page for a photo (the last one on the page) of the guy through the windshield of his car with the thumbs-up... that's me! ;)

I have only one question ... WHAT IS UP with the rubber molding (or what's left of it) on your car door in the background of that pic ?!?

Certainly appears a bit ...umm... weather-beaten ??

:p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have only one question ... WHAT IS UP with the rubber molding (or what's left of it) on your car door in the background of that pic ?!?

Certainly appears a bit ...umm... weather-beaten ??

:p
It's a fairly old car, Mazda 626LX 1997 4 cylinder 4 door coupe. I haven't replaced any moldings except for the trunk's. I put some tape on some, not what you see. The car has less than 34,000 miles on it! Smogs way way under the radar. In recent years I'm under 1500 miles/year, last year during the pandemic, under 400 miles! I skated about 3x that many miles in the last year. Now that I'm vaccinated I'll probably also bicycle more than drive in terms of miles... unless I start playing golf again, then you never know. But I heard that my home course is overrun with annoying newbies what with the pandemic, so that may not be any time soon.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I was thinking similarly, so when the first vaccine I got a chance to get was Moderna, I surprised myself how fast and efficiently I got to the site and rolled up my sleeve! It may have been less than an hour including going through the online sign-up process.

You look nothing like your avatar!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
One of the most enthusiastic reactions was from REDACTED, who’s a DJ for KALX radio and found out how to make his appointment after reading Berkeleyside. He said he was “hyped” to be receiving his shot, and threw up a cheery thumbs up after getting the vaccine.

He had signed up for his shot an hour before the appointment, and after watching the entire pandemic unfold from the early days in Wuhan, China, said he couldn’t believe it was finally his turn to receive the vaccine.

“I wasn’t expecting any of this stuff,” said REDACTED, who went to Cal in the 1960s and has lived in Berkeley since 1973. “I’m very excited, I’ve been following this thing from day one.”

this made me laugh

Supriya Yelimeli is Berkeleyside's homelessness and housing reporter.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
4 months??? Should be 3 weeks. Did you mean June 5?

The rollout has been mostly a fail here, only in past few weeks it is ramping up, I originally was not suppose to be able to get one before July. But even now there's not enough supply to give people their 2nd dose on schedule, which is kind of a controversy.

I was told to check with the health unit's site in 2 weeks from now though to see if by chance they changed the schedule. So hopefully I'll be able to get my 2nd shot sooner.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
We are focusing on getting people their first shot as soon as possible and we only have so many doses available.

Seems like you'd be better off with J&J shots at that point. I remember they floated this idea in the US. It always sounded like taking half your dose of antibiotics to me.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
As I said earlier, Taiwan has over 300 new cases (largest outbreak since the beginning of the epidemic) and it was some of the countries that were able to handle the virus earlier.

Taiwan reports 333 new domestic COVID-19 cases as it scrambles to get vaccines - CNA (channelnewsasia.com)

Taiwan was a Covid success story. Now it's fighting its biggest outbreak - CNN

New cases are popping up in Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Nepal, Indonesia, etc. Not looking good in Asia and of course, India is still a big mess.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Captante