NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 577 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Wish is was longer/better, but should be enough once we get past the current outbreaks.

This doesn’t mean it won’t be longer. We need more time to pass to know that.
I’m no medical expert but 95% effective at six months vs hospitalization is awesome news to me.
Also this test happened while the variants are around.

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This doesn’t mean it won’t be longer. We need more time to pass to know that.
I’m no medical expert but 95% effective at six months vs hospitalization is awesome news to me.
Also this test happened while the variants are around.
I agree, this is extremely good news. Just not as effective as Measles, which would be amazing.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Went to the movies again. 250 person theater and husband and I were the entire audience. Did not feel one bit anxious about watching sans mask. (Movie was Godzilla vs. Kong in Dolby Atmos.)

Well only 2 of you because the movie SUCK, I regard "renting" it.

• Haha
Reactions: Muse

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Bit the bullet & got my first shot of Phizer a few days ago. Side effects so far:
Phizer is planning on studying subjects for 2 years & says things are looking good 6 months in:
Are you sure you didn't get a knock-off fulfilled by Amazon? :p

I also feel very fortunate to have received a vaccine at all, as a lot of countries don't have much, if any, access to vaccines. Brazil has climbed up to US death rates recently & one of their vaccine options only has like a 50% effectiveness rate:

I also understand why people are hesitant about it. Probably about 50% of the people I know personally & professionally have stated they won't be taking the vaccine. As someone who was personally affected by the unknown side effects of medical technology, I can certainly understand the anxiety. For me, a number of factors contributed to me making the decision to take it. Only downside is no free 5G in my body yet :(
We're very fortunate to have 3 effective vaccines, and a choice of which one to sign up for (both mRNA vaccines have excellent trial data).

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
If there is a multivalent booster available later this year I'd have no problem taking that.
I've been wondering, if a person got, say the Pfizer vaccine initially, would there be any problems if later they got a booster from a different manufacturer?
Wonder if there's been any studies on that, if there even needs to be?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I've been wondering, if a person got, say the Pfizer vaccine initially, would there be any problems if later they got a booster from a different manufacturer?

I think NIH is looking at that aspect of things.

Reactions: Spacehead

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
So one of my friends got COVID last October. Medium case, not light but not terrible. She got her first vaccine shot & got a bad case of COVID for 24 hours, all the same symptoms but worse...and then it disappeared entirely in 24 hours. Very odd.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
This poor guy got a stroke from a contaminated J&J vaccine:

This is a second batch of 62 million, on top of the 15 million:

Dang. Risks everywhere.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Pretty sure the CDC or FDA has said that is okay if you can't get the right booster. I believe NIH is running a trial too.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I thought that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines basically worked the same way, so they were basically interchangeable in theory. I doubt that anybody has done a large scale study to prove that, though.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
This poor guy got a stroke from a contaminated J&J vaccine:

Where did it say the dose he received was contaminated? Hmm, now i can't re-access the article

This is a second batch of 62 million, on top of the 15 million:

Dang. Risks everywhere.
Yikes!
Again, at least it seems they haven't left the building.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Pretty sure the CDC or FDA has said that is okay if you can't get the right booster. I believe NIH is running a trial too.
As it sits right now & in a perfect world, one should get a booster from the same manufacturer as the initial vaccine?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Someone should get a dose of each vaccine, for science, and see what happens.

A guy who came to put my toilet in had a bunch of them. I believe he was an EMT/firefighter so he was early in the line. Said they had a mix up so he got the first shot of pfizer or moderna, then went in and they missed the schedule so they gave him the other one and then he had a second shot of that later on.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think NIH is looking at that aspect of things.

I heard Fauci say on an interview they are studying that if you get the first shot of one mRNA vaccine you could get the second shot with the other and it would be fine. He said he ultimately thinks that it will be shown that it is indeed ok.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Bit scary how new infections have taken off like a rocket in India. There was a lot of discussion a little while ago about the puzzle of how they'd come right down, and what were Indians doing right to achieve this....but before anyone seemed to answer that question, the case numbers shot way, way, up again.
With it rampaging through a large population like that, surely there's a high chance of new variants emerging?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Bit scary how new infections have taken off like a rocket in India. There was a lot of discussion a little while ago about the puzzle of how they'd come right down, and what were Indians doing right to achieve this....but before anyone seemed to answer that question, the case numbers shot way, way, up again.
With it rampaging through a large population like that, surely there's a high chance of new variants emerging?
Or just that they weren't counting certain populations, and now they are again.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Or just that they weren't counting certain populations, and now they are again.

I don't know if you have a specific news story in mind (that I've missed) when you say that, but from this report it sounds like it's a genuine "surge" in cases (I was thinking it looked pretty alarming on the worldometer site before seeing this linked article). Maybe it is a new variant? And if it isn't, surely with numbers growing that much there may well be one before long?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I don't know if you have a specific news story in mind (that I've missed) when you say that, but from this report it sounds like it's a genuine "surge" in cases (I was thinking it looked pretty alarming on the worldometer site before seeing this linked article). Maybe it is a new variant? And if it isn't, surely with numbers growing that much there may well be one before long?

Nope, nothing in mind, just proposing the possibility that it isn't necessarily a new surge, just counting an existing surge accurately. This has happened several times through the pandemic (albeit most were very early). I certainly hope it's not a new variant surging though. :|

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
I might be nuts but that second shot of pfizer hurt a helluva lot more than the first one.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Nope, nothing in mind, just proposing the possibility that it isn't necessarily a new surge, just counting an existing surge accurately. This has happened several times through the pandemic (albeit most were very early). I certainly hope it's not a new variant surging though. :|
Well, we are going to continue to see new variants appearing in the global population until enough vaccine and manpower is available to vaccinate that same population. Highly successful variants will replace older ones over time. We are along way from seeing Covid come under any significant level of control.