NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 576 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Took a trip to socal over the weekend and went through D-Town Disney. We went into the World of Disney Store fully masked, but that place was packed and tbh I just felt uncomfortable. The amount of people in there (all masked) made it difficult to distance ourselves. Pre Pandemic, I just didn't really like being around crowds but dealt with it because we (wife and kid) love going to D-Land. Post pandemic I felt dirty after being surrounded by all those people and immediately showered when we got back to our hotel lol. What a mindf^%$ experience.

Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Nearing two months since I tested positive and recovered. All pain sensation is back but long-term effects are real. Blood pressure still hasn't dropped to my usual 60(78 last reading). Still feel tired and heart is racing. I don't know if the my freaking gums are also adding to the fatigue but I know what my heart rate was for years prior. It's also genetic as my grandmother also had low heart rates around 60.

And yeah, the anesthetic effect of COVID is so evident.

And I'm nearly fully convinced I already had it in Nov 2019, because I felted fatigued even in January 2020.

I will probably attempt to go take the vaccine in 6 month intervals come September or something. The loss of productivity is too much.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Went to the movies again. 250 person theater and husband and I were the entire audience. Did not feel one bit anxious about watching sans mask. (Movie was Godzilla vs. Kong in Dolby Atmos.)

Reactions: Captante and Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Took a trip to socal over the weekend and went through D-Town Disney. We went into the World of Disney Store fully masked, but that place was packed and tbh I just felt uncomfortable. The amount of people in there (all masked) made it difficult to distance ourselves. Pre Pandemic, I just didn't really like being around crowds but dealt with it because we (wife and kid) love going to D-Land. Post pandemic I felt dirty after being surrounded by all those people and immediately showered when we got back to our hotel lol. What a mindf^%$ experience.
Were they not limiting capacity of the store? In Orlando back in February, the World of Disney store had an hour long wait to get in, which we passed on. But we did wait over an hour to get in the Disney Parks outlet, that store was busy, but not packed by any means.

Nov 8, 2012
Went to the movies again. 250 person theater and husband and I were the entire audience. Did not feel one bit anxious about watching sans mask. (Movie was Godzilla vs. Kong in Dolby Atmos.)
250 person theater?!

All the stadium seat old school theaters around me have converted to much smaller and more comfy reclining chairs that are... Maybe 70 seats or so tops.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Were they not limiting capacity of the store? In Orlando back in February, the World of Disney store had an hour long wait to get in, which we passed on. But we did wait over an hour to get in the Disney Parks outlet, that store was busy, but not packed by any means.
They were limiting but there was maybe a few people in line before us. We waited 5 minutes max and were in there for about 30 mins. It was still very busy, although not pre-pandemic busy.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Our government is entirely reactive and never proactive. So. Not surprising.

I don't really know what that means in this context.

The mitigating factor here is probably that there are so few (relatively) J&J doses available right now due to the Emergent debacle. Still if the incidence is what the FDA seems to be saying it looks like there is a real potential this move is overcautious and potentially harmful given the COVID death rate.

Reactions: Captante and Zorba

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
250 person theater?!

All the stadium seat old school theaters around me have converted to much smaller and more comfy reclining chairs that are... Maybe 70 seats or so tops.

This theater was new built, opening about a year before covid hit. There are 14 screens with about 1700 recliner seats. Has an internal full service restaurant and full bar both with in-seat delivery if you want it. I don't know if the in-seat delivery is available currently. I do know the self-serve drink machine isn't available. You have to get it poured by the behind the counter folks.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Our government is entirely reactive and never proactive. So. Not surprising.
You mean they didn't proactively research coronavirus vaccine for 15 years that directly aided in the creation of these vaccines? Or did they not proactively require massive phased trials to detect possible issues?

Pausing the distribution to look into the issues could also be seen as proactive, after so few cases.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Bit the bullet & got my first shot of Phizer a few days ago. Side effects so far:

1. Was good for a few hours, then felt like I got hit by a truck. I'm not a napper but I passed out for like 4 hours straight, just dropped like a rock. Second day was pretty low-key, felt like I was wearing one of those lead vests you put on for X-rays. No fever tho. But I have literally double bags under my eyes, super strange!

2. Ever had one of those tiny chocolate Easter egg candies with the foil wrap on it & accidentally bit into it? That foil taste that zings your tastebuds? My mouth has tasted like that all week. Like a mouth full of pennies.

3. The needle was tiny, quick, and painless. Didn't hurt until the second day, now it feels Jason Bourne stabbed a pen into my bicep lol. Minimal visible swelling, however. But literally feels like a pen is inside my arm when I move it around.

My wife had the first two (nap/fatigue & metal taste) but not the arm pain. The latest I'm hearing is that you get 90 days of immunity if you get & survive COVID, and at least 6 months if you get the vaccine:

Phizer is planning on studying subjects for 2 years & says things are looking good 6 months in:

Although it looks like Moderna starts waning after 6 months:

I have a friend who works on vaccines & explained the current & future setup: basically the RNA stuff is like a computer platform with a cage & a case & all of the parts, and because they have that sled setup now, they can swap stuff out as needed, so in theory it should be pretty easy to adjust for future variations & get booster shots & whatnot. They're already testing a third booster shot:

The problem is that they don't know exactly how long the current vaccines will last & also want to be very careful about modifying it for future virus mutations because they are closely monitoring the side effects.

I was on the fence about getting it, because I had a bad experience with antibiotics in the past that kind of wreck my health for twenty years, but after learning how how they make vaccines today (much better process), as well as the huge daily death numbers, I figure it's the lesser of two evils. On the flip side, I also feel extremely grateful that (1) I was able to get the vaccine, and (2) there are lots of smart people putting in a lot of hard work into getting this thing going. For me in particular, I have somewhat poor health (asthma, digestive allergies, etc.), so despite my initial worries about a fast-tracked vaccine, I feel better knowing I've done what I can to take control of my health future, given the current circumstances.

I also feel very fortunate to have received a vaccine at all, as a lot of countries don't have much, if any, access to vaccines. Brazil has climbed up to US death rates recently & one of their vaccine options only has like a 50% effectiveness rate:

I also understand why people are hesitant about it. Probably about 50% of the people I know personally & professionally have stated they won't be taking the vaccine. As someone who was personally affected by the unknown side effects of medical technology, I can certainly understand the anxiety. For me, a number of factors contributed to me making the decision to take it. Only downside is no free 5G in my body yet :(

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Well, I get the pfizer tomorrow. First dose anyway. There's not much to the decision for me. If I got covid long haul I'd probably kill myself. People are acting super dumb. So obviously I'm taking that vaccine.

Work facilities keeps sending out emails that people need to keep up the distancing and protocols and to stop slacking off. I went in to finish things and half the hand sanitizers and soap dispensers are empty. Seems like the ones sending the emails are phoning it in.

Cases are going up in our area, college kids revolting seem to be the main cause. Despite this its time to start opening up bars again. They only opened the 30+ age group on Monday for scheduling, good enough open the bars! And we're talking about mixing all the kids back together at schools...WHY? There's only a couple months left I guess they didn't want to go out with a super spreader bang! Half the schools keep having to shut down now so its not like it was getting knocked out of the park. Old people vaccinated successfully, better open up all the things that people who can't be vaccinated do pronto!

My wife's family has barely finished their vaccines and already want to come down to visit us on Mother's day...but stay in a hotel (?) and want to go out to dinner. (NO) I'll only have 1 shot, my wife will effectively have zero shots, nobody's kids can even get a shot! I hate taking my kids out to dinner in the first place, all they eat is pasta anyway. My mother has cancer, I want to go visit her in some limited capacity soon. I don't want to entertain my FIL's idiot need to get drunk at a bar and pretend nobody else matters. My wife pointed out they are flakes so if I ignore this it probably just won't happen but I actually started flipping my lid.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Bit the bullet & got my first shot of Phizer a few days ago. Side effects so far:

1. Was good for a few hours, then felt like I got hit by a truck. I'm not a napper but I passed out for like 4 hours straight, just dropped like a rock. Second day was pretty low-key, felt like I was wearing one of those lead vests you put on for X-rays. No fever tho. But I have literally double bags under my eyes, super strange!

2. Ever had one of those tiny chocolate Easter egg candies with the foil wrap on it & accidentally bit into it? That foil taste that zings your tastebuds? My mouth has tasted like that all week. Like a mouth full of pennies.

3. The needle was tiny, quick, and painless. Didn't hurt until the second day, now it feels Jason Bourne stabbed a pen into my bicep lol. Minimal visible swelling, however. But literally feels like a pen is inside my arm when I move it around.

My wife had the first two (nap/fatigue & metal taste) but not the arm pain. The latest I'm hearing is that you get 90 days of immunity if you get & survive COVID, and at least 6 months if you get the vaccine:

Phizer is planning on studying subjects for 2 years & says things are looking good 6 months in:

Although it looks like Moderna starts waning after 6 months:

I have a friend who works on vaccines & explained the current & future setup: basically the RNA stuff is like a computer platform with a cage & a case & all of the parts, and because they have that sled setup now, they can swap stuff out as needed, so in theory it should be pretty easy to adjust for future variations & get booster shots & whatnot. They're already testing a third booster shot:

The problem is that they don't know exactly how long the current vaccines will last & also want to be very careful about modifying it for future virus mutations because they are closely monitoring the side effects.

I was on the fence about getting it, because I had a bad experience with antibiotics in the past that kind of wreck my health for twenty years, but after learning how how they make vaccines today (much better process), as well as the huge daily death numbers, I figure it's the lesser of two evils. On the flip side, I also feel extremely grateful that (1) I was able to get the vaccine, and (2) there are lots of smart people putting in a lot of hard work into getting this thing going. For me in particular, I have somewhat poor health (asthma, digestive allergies, etc.), so despite my initial worries about a fast-tracked vaccine, I feel better knowing I've done what I can to take control of my health future, given the current circumstances.

I also feel very fortunate to have received a vaccine at all, as a lot of countries don't have much, if any, access to vaccines. Brazil has climbed up to US death rates recently & one of their vaccine options only has like a 50% effectiveness rate:

I also understand why people are hesitant about it. Probably about 50% of the people I know personally & professionally have stated they won't be taking the vaccine. As someone who was personally affected by the unknown side effects of medical technology, I can certainly understand the anxiety. For me, a number of factors contributed to me making the decision to take it. Only downside is no free 5G in my body yet :(
Antibiotics can be risky. A friend of mine had his hearing permanently wrecked by an antibiotic. If a doctor wants to Rx you an antibiotic you might want to research it before agreeing to take it.

I think your odds of regretting the Pfizer vaccine are really low. I have to wonder about your colleagues and associates 1/2 of whom are reticent to get vaccinated against covid-19. Were I you I'd reassess my relationships.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
My 18 year old daughter received 2nd dose of Pfizer yesterday and she's acting like nothing happened. Full of energy and no typical 2nd shot symptoms. Happy to see that. I'm glad my entire family is now vaccinated. It will give us options and piece of mind as we go back to living our normal lives.

South Korea is supposed to meet on April 18th to decide if they're going to keep the 14 day quarantine requirement for travelers. There is talk the 14 day quarantine could finally be removed for vaccinated visitors. Which I hope because that's what I'm waiting for. I will book my plane ticket as soon as they get rid of the quarantine requirement. Thailand is also talking about removing the 14 day quarantine requirement for visitors to Phuket island starting July 1st. Their plan is to quickly vaccinate all the residents of Phuket so they can accept vaccinated foreign visitors. The rest of Thailand will still be closed off but visitors will be able to freely enter and stay on Phuket island without quarantine requirement. Yes, please.