NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 575 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
When my wife got her second Novavax dose, in the opposite shoulder, she said ti hurt like hell and burned. Lasted a couple of minutes, but it was bad enough for those couple of minutes she thought she might have to go to the hospital. I get Moderna #2 tomorrow, I think I am going to go for the opposite shoulder and will see how it goes.

I think the whole shoulder pain thing is not related to the vaccine at all. I got a flu shot a couple months ago with a rare trip the doctor thinking an immune booster was a good idea, and it was the worst shot I've ever had in my life. It hurt a lot going in and my shoulder was sore for like a week afterward. I couldn't sleep on it either. The Moderna #1 I got yesterday (same shoulder) was totally the opposite - painless.

It would make sense that it just depends on where exactly the poke you with the needle. Either it's hitting a favorable spot with no pain, or it's going to hit something else that'll cause quite a bit of discomfort.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Latest news. Ketchup (packets) are in shortage and 10% more expensive now. Same for chips for tablets (Apple) and wireless routers (Netgear, etc.).

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Anyone look at prices of plywood? lmao.

1/2" 4x8 @ $64.98 pre tax

3/4" 4x8 @ $64.98

At least HD sells lube, you'll need it if you buy lumber.

(their analytics are going to show someone searching for plywood, looking at prices, then searching for lube... someone will get a good laugh at that)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Some good news for my area anyway. Looks like going forward people will at least have the option of which vaccine they want. I'm told at least one of the drug store chains is offering Moderna & Walmart is offering J&J. The local hospital where i got mine has been giving only Pfizer so far.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Some good news for my area anyway. Looks like going forward people will at least have the option of which vaccine they want. I'm told at least one of the drug store chains is offering Moderna & Walmart is offering J&J. The local hospital where i got mine has been giving only Pfizer so far.
Yeah, around here most of the government ran places have both Pfizer and Moderna, some have J&J.

Other places it just depends.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I think the whole shoulder pain thing is not related to the vaccine at all. I got a flu shot a couple months ago with a rare trip the doctor thinking an immune booster was a good idea, and it was the worst shot I've ever had in my life. It hurt a lot going in and my shoulder was sore for like a week afterward. I couldn't sleep on it either. The Moderna #1 I got yesterday (same shoulder) was totally the opposite - painless.

It would make sense that it just depends on where exactly the poke you with the needle. Either it's hitting a favorable spot with no pain, or it's going to hit something else that'll cause quite a bit of discomfort.
I think some vaccines just always hurt. I know tdap always hurts going in and a sore shoulder for a few days. I usually feel the flu and get a slightly sore shoulder. Never felt or had sore shoulders from Hep or Typhoid.

I didn't feel Moderna going in at all, shoulder isn't really sore but very tender to the touch.

I'm sure you are right though, anything can hurt if it hits the wrong spot.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I agree and it is weird how they handled lockdown pretty well (this isn’t perfection the is well) but they totally went cheap and tons of strings attached for vaccine funding.
I guess if you are desperate you’ll do it but I would have to be super desperate to take that crap.

It is strange how different countries performed well or badly at different points in the pandemic, and with respect to different aspects of it. It's like the idea of the idiot ball. Each country takes turns to hold it, just to keep the drama going. China had it for a while, then the UK and US , and now Trump is out, and sanity returned to the US administration, and now the Boris government has at least got the vaccine rollout right, having messed everything else up (really I'd say they just hadn't managed to wreck that part of the health system in time to harm the vaccine roll-out) the ball seems to have been passed to the EU.

There must be a reason why things are now going so badly in the eastern half of that bloc. Are they particularly relunctant to follow mask and social-distancing rules there? Plus Italy has now re-overtaken the UK in death rate.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014

3/4" 4x8 @ $64.98

(their analytics are going to show someone searching for plywood, looking at prices, then searching for lube... someone will get a good laugh at that)

To late to get into wood stock? lmao

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Michigan is getting bad again and hospitals are starting to suspend surgeries again

Since both of us are vaccinated we headed out on a hiking trip to the Appalachian mountains. Noticed a lot of other Michigan license plates so hopefully they're vaccinated too and we're not exporting COVID.

The trip did show how compliant our area in MI is with masks. Lots of West Virginians and Kentuckyians aren't even pretending to wear masks indoors

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Shaky hands but you get the idea. EVA Airline Taipei Toronto
Ugh. We had a JAL, ANA, and Thai airlines business class trip we had to cancel. It had the new ANA and JAL seats and was another attempt at sitting in the upper deck of a 747. I'm 0 for 3 on the 747 attempt - two Lufthansa aircraft swaps and then COVID

Edit: and EVA too (and Delta and United). It was a nice whirlwind of airlines and planes in addition to destinations

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

3/4" 4x8 @ $64.98

It's $56 for an 1/2 inch RTD sheet where I am in the states(MD) and it was $54 a week ago. With spring coming...I can only see the cost rising further.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/15-32-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-3-Ply-RTD-Sheathing-132411/100067329

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ugh. We had a JAL, ANA, and Thai airlines business class trip we had to cancel. It had the new ANA and JAL seats and was another attempt at sitting in the upper deck of a 747. I'm 0 for 3 on the 747 attempt - two Lufthansa aircraft swaps and then COVID

That's a bummer. I'm 0 for 2 myself. Lufthansa and Qantas.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I haven't seen or heard this discussed anywhere, but I think it's obviously something to consider:

The mRNA vaccines are two shots, 3 or 4 weeks apart. Efficacy 2 weeks after first shot is around 90%, around 95% 2 weeks after 2nd shot.

Well, suppose you're exposed ~3 months after your 2nd shot. Maybe not a big viral dose, just a moderate exposure. Or any exposure, adjective withheld. You're unlikely to exhibit symptoms, or if you do, you're virtually certain to not require hospitalization.

My question is this: Is that exposure to some strain of the virus apt to boost your immunity? It would seem likely that your body is going to mount another immune response that would result in more antibodies than before the exposure, in the same way that it mounts a greater immune response to the 2nd shot than the 1st shot.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I started taking Vitamin D + K2 every day a year ago for mood. I think it definitely helps a bit.
Vitamin D helps fight off upper respiratory infections. Studies have proven this conclusively. I've taken it for years, but pretty religiously since the beginning of the pandemic. My cousin MD on Feb. 29, 2020 said take Vitamin D. That was ~16 days before the local lockdown.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
When my wife got her second Novavax dose, in the opposite shoulder, she said ti hurt like hell and burned. Lasted a couple of minutes, but it was bad enough for those couple of minutes she thought she might have to go to the hospital. I get Moderna #2 tomorrow, I think I am going to go for the opposite shoulder and will see how it goes.
I felt no pain to speak of with either of my Moderna injections. The main after effect with 1st shot was arm soreness. Couldn't raise arm higher than my head next day and didn't sleep on that side for several days. 2nd shot relatively little soreness in the arm (same arm), more tiredness than 1st shot, and a fever that reached 100.8, no fever after 1st shot. Never felt what I would call sick after either shot, in spite of the fever. IOW, I didn't feel at all miserable after either shot, which is to me what I call "sick."

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
At this point I don't think it's only the government that are losing their minds. Expect some extra flocks of Canada Geese this fall, that is how we get rid of our hate and anger, we transfer it to Canada geese and send them to the states. :p
Shit bombing squadrons of cawing geese. Uh huh. Ask Sully.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
My family and relatives dined at a restaurant for the first time as a group since the start of covid a year ago. That felt so nice. I've been craving real sashimi and sushi for months now. I finally satisfied that intense craving and urge last night and ate until I couldn't eat anymore. That was so great. We got a private room and all the adults were vaccinated so we felt safe.

My family and friends are pretty much going back to normal now. We're still wearing masks but other than that, we're dong stuff we used to do before the covid pandemic like dining out, going on vacations, and shopping. We're still limited in places we can go because of covid restrictions and many countries are still closed to tourists but we're going to places that are open. I've got Cancun trip booked for May, Costa Rica in June, and return trip to Cancun in July with family and friends while I wait on the rest of the world to open their borders. Everyone I talk to have vacations lined up. Everybody is ready to go. The floodgates are opening.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Restaurants are tricky here. Don't know from one day to the next if they're open or closed or which one you can go in and which one you can't. They just keep doing arbitrary lockdowns with random rules even though these half lock downs don't actually do anything.

The good news is Christmas is coming!

FuTIftD.jpg

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Last edited: