NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 574 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
They've said 'rare kind of blood clotting' should be listed as a 'very rare' possible side-effect. The probablitly seems to be 0.00006%. Much less than the risk from COVID. Which, apparently, turns out to also have long-term neurological and psychiatric effects.

I have thought in the past, mind you, that the kerfuffle over 'vaccine safety' sparked off by Andrew Wakefield's very dodgy research, is unfortunate for those who fall into the tiny minority who do get rare side effects of vaccines. Because they know it does happen, clinical trials with a limited number of subjects clearly can't find every ultra-rare side-effect, some things are only going to appear when the vaccine is applied en-masse. But anyone who gets the rare effect of a vaccine now is at risk of being lumped in with those who have irrational vaccine anxiety and dismissed. It's only because this particular roll-out has occured on a mass, global, scale with so much attention that it's being taken so seriously this time.
My only issue is with your position that Wakefield's research was "dodgy"; it was in fact straight up, unmitigated fraudulent bullshit.

That is all.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
My only issue is with your position that Wakefield's research was "dodgy"; it was in fact straight up, unmitigated fraudulent bullshit.

That is all.

Yeah, I have heard it claimed that it was pretty-much fraudulent - and that there were commercial interests involved. But, not knowing what the laws are on libel, I'm not going to be the one to say that outright as fact!

Reactions: uclaLabrat

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i just learned that when they came out with the polio vaccine, 4 companies did it right but 1 company did it wrong

cutter pharmaceuticals didn't manage to kill off all the live polio, so 40k kids got polio and 5 died from their product

then it caused an epidemic because those kids had it and gave it to family/friends, which killed 5 more people and paralyzed 113

• Wow
Reactions: Muse and pmv

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Husband and I fully immunized, haven’t changed our behavior, gotta get my son vaccinated

i'll hit the 14 day window at the end of this week but i don't plan to change my behavior any time soon

Husband and I are also as immunized as we can get and we have changed behavior a bit in that we are again going to the movies. I don't what percent capacity they allow but when we choose 2 seats, the theater then blocks access to the 2 seats in the row ahead of us and the 2 seats in the row behind us as well as 2 seats on either side of us. This is in a theater with all recliner seats so that keeps folks pretty far apart. We've gone 3 times and once we were the only people at the showing, while once there were 3 other patrons and the last time there were 7 others. Masks are required for everything in the theater complex except while watching the movie. It is the most normal I've felt in a long time.

Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
These restrictions are starting to make less and less sense. How the hell can you catch a virus over a live stream? They are not allowing music live streaming now.

But yet, the schools stay open.

Wonder what is classified as a concert like what happens if a youtuber decides to livestream himself sing or play an instrument. I feel this will be a gray area.

Alberta is also putting fences around churches. But yet costco is packed with people. Starting to side more and more with the conspiracy theorists the more I see how ridiculous this is getting.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
These restrictions are starting to make less and less sense. How the hell can you catch a virus over a live stream? They are not allowing music live streaming now.

Wonder what is classified as a concert like what happens if a youtuber decides to livestream himself sing or play an instrument. I feel this will be a gray area.

Alberta is also putting fences around churches. But yet costco is packed with people. Starting to side more and more with the conspiracy theorists the more I see how ridiculous this is getting.

That does seem weird. I hope you don't mean that literally about conspiracy theorists. Hard to see what the sinister conspiracy is there, but it seems inconsistent and thus incompetent.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Got Moderna #1 today (SoCal). Rite Aid near me had some extras and we got called in on standby. Everyone is eligible in a little over a week, but it's nice maybe getting ahead of the potential wave of sub-50 year old going in. My parents (living in another state) also got Pfizer #1 today.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Starting to side more and more with the conspiracy theorists the more I see how ridiculous this is getting.

You been at the fermented acorns again !?! ;)

It would completely suck to make it 90% of the way through this horror-show and then get sick.

Never allow mass-stupidity to influence you other than to do the exact opposite. (or sadly to surprise you)

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You been at the fermented acorns again !?! ;)

It would completely suck to make it 90% of the way through this horror-show and then get sick.

Never allow mass-stupidity to influence you other than to do the exact opposite. (or sadly to surprise you)
Oh don't get me wrong I don't side with the batshit crazy stuff like the people who think the virus is fake or think there are 5G chips in the vaccine etc. But I am starting to wonder if there is an agenda behind all this since a lot of the rules and fines etc are just so arbitrary. One thing that is low risk is not allowed, while things that are high risk are allowed. There's just a huge double standard.

At the rate things are going, we're not getting out of this any time soon. They can shutdown the province all they want but as long as international flights keep coming in and big box stores, factories etc stay open we'll just keep getting more variants.

For a bit of humour...

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011

Seems to be a combination of two human traits.

GOTA Do Something! It dosn't matter if it is a good idea or not, the urge to do something is like the urge to sneeze. whether is has any effect is immaterial. You just Gotta Do Something

Power drunk. remember most politicians are like an HOA on steroids. Control makes their naughty bits tingle.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So with this new lockdown they did make it so big box stores are only allowed to sell essential items and everything else is blocked off. I kind of agree with this as it's not fair for small businesses that are forced to shut down meanwhile these big box stores sell the same stuff that the small businesses sell.

However, I think they went a little too far here...

BWzi9kI.jpg

Those are masks. I guess masks are non essential? lmao.

• Haha

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I was hoping to go to St. Joseph's in Montreal sometime this summer. But, it seems like the Canadian gov't will have completely lost their minds by then :(

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Husband and I are also as immunized as we can get and we have changed behavior a bit in that we are again going to the movies. I don't what percent capacity they allow but when we choose 2 seats, the theater then blocks access to the 2 seats in the row ahead of us and the 2 seats in the row behind us as well as 2 seats on either side of us. This is in a theater with all recliner seats so that keeps folks pretty far apart. We've gone 3 times and once we were the only people at the showing, while once there were 3 other patrons and the last time there were 7 others. Masks are required for everything in the theater complex except while watching the movie. It is the most normal I've felt in a long time.
have you checked out teh 4dx theaters? the cost was 25$ a seat before covid and it seems like not to many people go, last movie was star wars that i went to and there couldnt have been more than 20 people in the whole theater. If you have never checked it out its worth a go, i simply love any movie they play (they usually only have teh best of the movies 4dx anyway) ((going to see if i can book mortal kombat for me and the misses to see now that im thinking about 4dx and getting excited.)

dont feel like i would be removing the mask except to take a drink. even with very few in the theater why risk it?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I was hoping to go to St. Joseph's in Montreal sometime this summer. But, it seems like the Canadian gov't will have completely lost their minds by then :(

At this point I don't think it's only the government that are losing their minds. Expect some extra flocks of Canada Geese this fall, that is how we get rid of our hate and anger, we transfer it to Canada geese and send them to the states. :p

• Haha
Reactions: pmv

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
At this point I don't think it's only the government that are losing their minds. Expect some extra flocks of Canada Geese this fall, that is how we get rid of our hate and anger, we transfer it to Canada geese and send them to the states. :p

Those are some seriously bad-tempered birds. You've given away the national secret there. That's it, isn't it? That's how Canada remains placid and peaceful - all the aggression and conflict is exported in avian form.

For a bit of humour...

I think that pretty-much sums up the approach of the Johnson government as well.

Reactions: Red Squirrel
Nov 8, 2012
So with this new lockdown they did make it so big box stores are only allowed to sell essential items and everything else is blocked off. I kind of agree with this as it's not fair for small businesses that are forced to shut down meanwhile these big box stores sell the same stuff that the small businesses sell.

However, I think they went a little too far here...

BWzi9kI.jpg

Those are masks. I guess masks are non essential? lmao.

Clothes aren't essential? Well, I guess someone will just have to w alk in naked ;)

Reactions: Red Squirrel
Feb 4, 2009
Why is anyone in the EU dumb enough to be buying vaccines from Russia?

I agree and it is weird how they handled lockdown pretty well (this isn’t perfection the is well) but they totally went cheap and tons of strings attached for vaccine funding.
I guess if you are desperate you’ll do it but I would have to be super desperate to take that crap.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Wow that sucks that they actually went ahead and closed off the nonessential items. I thought there was talk of restricting selling items here but it wasn't enforced. Target and Walmart and Costco made out like gangbusters when a lot of their competition was put out of business by The Man.

Not to mention Amazon.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow that sucks that they actually went ahead and closed off the nonessential items. I thought there was talk of restricting selling items here but it wasn't enforced. Target and Walmart and Costco made out like gangbusters when a lot of their competition was put out of business by The Man.

Not to mention Amazon.

Yeah think that was part of the issue, so to be fair they closed it off at the big stores too.

IMO they should just let small businesses operate as well, but do curbside pickup or delivery only, instead of totally shutting them down.