NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 573 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Oklahoma is one of only two states that didn't have a single county lean blue in the 2020 election. That's about it. Don't expect much more
Yeah, but our rollout had been pretty good, despite our slant. Much better than places like TX, MS, AL, and GA.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i'll hit the 14 day window at the end of this week but i don't plan to change my behavior any time soon

i'm saving so much money not doing anything anymore, and am getting used to being a hermit

sometimes i go for drives to the park but i never get out of my car

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, but our rollout had been pretty good, despite our slant. Much better than places like TX, MS, AL, and GA.
That's great. I'm just saying the smart people went and got their vaccines, it will peter down as there are just too many Trumpers left who are anti vaxx and that's how it will stay most likely

Reactions: Zorba and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
When my wife got her second Novavax dose, in the opposite shoulder, she said ti hurt like hell and burned. Lasted a couple of minutes, but it was bad enough for those couple of minutes she thought she might have to go to the hospital. I get Moderna #2 tomorrow, I think I am going to go for the opposite shoulder and will see how it goes.

I figured they injected the Bill Gates mind control chip this time! ;)

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
You're continuing to have the overall underlying point swoop over your head.

Your ability to selectively google-fu precise statements such as "nbc vitamin D" - which surprise surprise the first link was the one you had - isn't taking away anything from what I said. The overall public has zero clue about these things. Being able to google a web-site with a specific narrative that you are searching for doesn't mean anyone heard about it, read about it - or that it was publicly spoken about it and emphasized.

It gets overall nothing as far as media attention - and the people who SHOULD be advocating for this the most - politicians - have made very little or no mention. An instagram interview when SPECIFICALLY asked about the subject from the interviewer? Are you fuckin' kidding me?
Yes, I can Google. But, yes the media gave it attention, covered it on TV and on the web and the radio and the newspapers and many health websites. You were caught flat-out lying by claiming the media didn't cover it. If only you had the skills to Google, then you could have caught your own lie before posting it.

Yes, your point went over my head, because you don't seem to be making logical points. And I am only capable of understanding logic.

The fact is Vitamin D has a small positive effect on Covid-19 because it helps your immune system. Yes, we should know about that. But it isn't a prevention, nor a treatment, nor a cure. It has been mentioned at about the level that it should be mentioned: as a side story.

Last edited:
Reactions: uclaLabrat
Nov 8, 2012
Says someone that has never flown first class. First hint, there are no microwaves on commercial aircraft.

First class food is usually pretty good, but I wouldn't pay $500 just to eat it.

lol I've flown first class a ton of times. I worked consulting for 7+ years and flew out every week and had status galore.

Anyhow, it's your typical Sysco food - nothing to write home about.

Reactions: Captante

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
lol I've flown first class a ton of times. I worked consulting for 7+ years and flew out every week and had status galore.

Yeah, that's true of the vast majority of restaurants. It's better than national chains, but definitely not worth $500.

I do love the make your own sundaes. When I worked at an airline, I loved when I had to support some fleet wide issue at an international airport, we'd always eat the left over sundaes (left over as in never served, not partially eaten).

Reactions: Muse

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
i'll hit the 14 day window at the end of this week but i don't plan to change my behavior any time soon

i'm saving so much money not doing anything anymore, and am getting used to being a hermit

sometimes i go for drives to the park but i never get out of my car
So same as pre- Covid-19? :p

CA to reopen fully June 15 if current trends continue: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cal...ne-15-for-california-to-fully-reopen/2511400/

Will be interesting to see how the numbers turn out in the next month or so.
California's numbers have dropped very sharply, L.A. County in particular. It's unclear how this happened, but likely a combination of natural immunity from infections and more social distancing. There was an article just yesterday that the Bay Area had a small week-over-week increase in new confirmed cases, so trends can still shift.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
So same as pre- Covid-19? :p

ZAqJfb2.gif

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
California's numbers have dropped very sharply, L.A. County in particular. It's unclear how this happened, but likely a combination of natural immunity from infections and more social distancing. There was an article just yesterday that the Bay Area had a small week-over-week increase in new confirmed cases, so trends can still shift.

The numbers in our County have gone down but they seemed to have plateaued here the last few weeks. We've been stuck between 40-60 a day, and we're still seeing 1-3 deaths a day for a while now. Vaccinations have been slow the last few months but we're finally getting emails to schedule for an appt (my household has vaccinated or at least gotten the first dose for the last month, but we got lucky back then). All the counties around us has moved into the red tier as well. We're stuck in purple for a few more weeks far as I can tell.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Would I pay $500 for a US domestic first class meal? No.

Would I pay $500 for a Singapore Airlines first class meal with free access to their champagne menu? That's a conversation worth having.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Excess death figures since the start of the pandemic (from the Financial Times). As I understand it, these figures aren't just based on multii-year averages, but they tried to incorporate the 'trends' over recent years also.

On these numbers it's South America and Eastern Europe that have been hardest hit. Western Europe and the US next. Seems as if it's correct what has been said about Belgium appearing bad becuase they are more assiduous in counting COVID deaths. Surprised Bulgaria is as bad as it is.

Australia and east Asia have done vastly better (most of them seem to have _fewer_ deaths than normal - I can only guess because the precautions reduced the incidence of flu, and road-traffic-deaths as well). Don't seem to be figures for New Zealand but I'd expect they'd be in that least-hit group. Also don't see figures for India, which has been badly hit.

Edit - curious why Paraguay has done much better than the rest of South America. Also, I suppose it's not clear how reliable or comparable-across-countries excess death numbers themselves are.

Also pretty clear that Sweden's approach has not been a success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse and Zorba
Nov 8, 2012
Would I pay $500 for a US domestic first class meal? No.

Would I pay $500 for a Singapore Airlines first class meal with free access to their champagne menu? That's a conversation worth having.
Lol a conversation worth having? I would say book that shit ASAP because I don't know what kind of pricing mistaking you ran into with that price.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Excess death figures since the start of the pandemic (from the Financial Times). As I understand it, these figures aren't just based on multii-year averages, but they tried to incorporate the 'trends' over recent years also.

On these numbers it's South America and Eastern Europe that have been hardest hit. Western Europe and the US next. Seems as if it's correct what has been said about Belgium appearing bad becuase they are more assiduous in counting COVID deaths. Surprised Bulgaria is as bad as it is.

Australia and east Asia have done vastly better (most of them seem to have _fewer_ deaths than normal - I can only guess because the precautions reduced the incidence of flu, and road-traffic-deaths as well). Don't seem to be figures for New Zealand but I'd expect they'd be in that least-hit group. Also don't see figures for India, which has been badly hit.

Edit - curious why Paraguay has done much better than the rest of South America. Also, I suppose it's not clear how reliable or comparable-across-countries excess death numbers themselves are.

Also pretty clear that Sweden's approach hast the not been a success.
Before seeing this post I just randomly looked at CDC excess deaths. Looks like for the first time in a year we are below the excess line, and now pretty far below it. I'm guessing the lack of flu this year is helping that number along with the massive drop in COVID deaths. There was likely some moving death forward too, e.g. instead of dying of a heart attack in March they died of COVID in August.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I figured they injected the Bill Gates mind control chip this time! ;)
Got my second Moderna today, got it in the opposite shoulder as last time. Didn't feel it going in at all. Something really odd, probably just in my head, my original shoulder started aching about 10 minutes after the shot has continued all night, just a dull pain.

Besides for the sore shoulders, no other side effects yet.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Got my second Moderna today, got it in the opposite shoulder as last time. Didn't feel it going in at all. Something really odd, probably just in my head, my original shoulder started aching about 10 minutes after the shot has continued all night, just a dull pain.

Besides for the sore shoulders, no other side effects yet.

Yeah I'm pretty sure if I'd had them do my right arm instead of left like round 1 it wouldn't have hurt at all. The tech was also a little "enthusiastic" lol when injecting me too and it hurts less if you go slow and steady.

Still no major side effects here, just a little bit of body-temp weirdness in that for awhile this afternoon I was having hot and cold alternating sweats.

Also feeling a bit extra tired ... having a nice big bowl of ramen with chicken-miso broth and chopped broccoli then calling it a night.

:)

Reactions: Zorba
Nov 8, 2012
Oh Snap Crackle Pop

No wonder we were giving away the AZ vaccines to Mexico....

Feb 4, 2009
^^^We made the right bets, we also threw money at the problem which tends to solve problem.
No matter how little of a plan the previous President had, I give him credit for getting the usual spending hawks to go along with spending big. There also appeared to be reasonable spending stops if something didn’t work.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Oh Snap Crackle Pop

No wonder we were giving away the AZ vaccines to Mexico....

They've said 'rare kind of blood clotting' should be listed as a 'very rare' possible side-effect. The probablitly seems to be 0.00006%. Much less than the risk from COVID. Which, apparently, turns out to also have long-term neurological and psychiatric effects.

I have thought in the past, mind you, that the kerfuffle over 'vaccine safety' sparked off by Andrew Wakefield's very dodgy research, is unfortunate for those who fall into the tiny minority who do get rare side effects of vaccines. Because they know it does happen, clinical trials with a limited number of subjects clearly can't find every ultra-rare side-effect, some things are only going to appear when the vaccine is applied en-masse. But anyone who gets the rare effect of a vaccine now is at risk of being lumped in with those who have irrational vaccine anxiety and dismissed. It's only because this particular roll-out has occured on a mass, global, scale with so much attention that it's being taken so seriously this time.