NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 571 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I watch the news regularly these days. It really annoys me how much they interview lay people as if their viewers won't believe what they're being shown and told unless they hear it from some rube in the street with only a tangential connection to the story. Get the opinion from someone in line or interview a small business owner to hear their experience, what the pandemic has meant for them. After you hear 25 of those stories they seem like a waste of my time. I don't need to know what Joe Blow or Mary Make Believe thinks of the vaccine to convince me one way or another. I've heard expert opinion and statistical information concerning side effects so many times I have no interest in what any particular person experienced.
Ahh yes, but these localized fact-checkers don't believe the "FAKE NEWS MEDIA" that easily anymore.....even worse, they have a short-term memory. Unfortunately, most of those 540k+ bodies have been buried already in the US....quickly forgotten by those who still don't realize how many people that is.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
My real question is about those who caught covid early on vs those who have caught it more recently or been vaccinated. How long are they going to be *protected* and considered part of the immune herd? If I were infected back in March/April of 2020, I'd be getting jabbed in the arm by July of this year to know I'd be good going into Fall/Winter.
Yeah, now that most of my family is getting vaccinated or has tested positive in the last few months i'm looking forward to the data on how long immunity will last, either from having tested positive or from the vaccines.

They are free to get vaccinated, but they've decided their stupidity is more important to them than their life.
I know you know this but the thing is it doesn't just effect them. We're all in this together. If a lot of people don't get vaccinated there more chance for mutation & having a strain that we might have to start all over again.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Whooo Hoo! Just jumped the line and now I'm eligible for the shot.

PA has phase 1a,1b,1c, and 2. I was in phase 2, but, this colorectal cancer diagnosis kicks me to the 1a head of the line.:)

PS

GET SCOPED
Not sure that was a fair trade.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I know you know this but the thing is it doesn't just effect them. We're all in this together. If a lot of people don't get vaccinated there more chance for mutation & having a strain that we might have to start all over again.

I know. I have no tolerance for anti-vaxxers or anti-maskers. Make the vaccine mandatory and move on. Anyone that doesn't want it can sit in their house and get walmart delivery. Same people that are so concerned about what is in the vaccine have no problem popping all kinds of supplements, energy drinks, and homeopathic "all natural" treatment, they just don't want to do something for the good of others and get off on feeling "smarter" than everyone else.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
the US, backed by other nations, is asking for an independent investigation

"
The U.S. and more than a dozen other countries expressed concern about a World Health Organization-led mission to China to explore the origins of Covid-19, saying it came too late and wasn’t afforded full or timely access to pertinent data.

The statement, backed by Australia, Japan, Canada, the U.K. and other states, called for “transparent and independent analysis and evaluation, free from interference and undue influence.”

The statement was echoed by the European Union, whose delegation to the United Nations issued a separate statement along the same lines. The two statements followed the release Tuesday of a report on the WHO-led mission to Wuhan, the Chinese city where the first cases were found. That report found that the virus was “extremely unlikely” to have spilled from a Chinese laboratory."
The WHO commission was snowed while doing their investigation, were given info that the Chinese wanted them to have, denied them plenty of pertinent data that might have given some transparency. Fact is, and this has been known for ~1 year, some key top personnel of the Wuhan lab got sick with covid like symptoms, even disappeared without explanation in late 2019. Chinese maintain that a bat virus was transmitted to animals a 1000 miles away and came to the Wuhan wet market but there was no evidence of human infection at the supposed origin 1000 miles away. Some people in the WHO entourage are happy to go to bat for China here, but I'm more than skeptical. Did you see the 60 Minutes piece on this Sunday? It echoes what I read online a year ago concerning the not particularly unlikely origin of the pandemic being from an accidental leak at the lab, and there was evidence provided. This is not to suggest that the Chinese created the virus. That would seem to be not impossible, but more likely they were investigating bat viruses in this top level lab. But even they could have experienced an accidental release. Evidence does suggest this did happen, but the Chinese, of course, want to quash the notion.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The WHO commission was snowed while doing their investigation, were given info that the Chinese wanted them to have, denied them plenty of pertinent data that might have given some transparency. Fact is, and this has been known for ~1 year, some key top personnel of the Wuhan lab got sick with covid like symptoms, even disappeared without explanation in late 2019. Chinese maintain that a bat virus was transmitted to animals a 1000 miles away and came to the Wuhan wet market but there was no evidence of human infection at the supposed origin 1000 miles away. Some people in the WHO entourage are happy to go to bat for China here, but I'm more than skeptical. Did you see the 60 Minutes piece on this Sunday? It echoes what I read online a year ago concerning the not particularly unlikely origin of the pandemic being from an accidental leak at the lab, and there was evidence provided. This is not to suggest that the Chinese created the virus. That would seem to be not impossible, but more likely they were investigating bat viruses in this top level lab. But even they could have experienced an accidental release. Evidence does suggest this did happen, but the Chinese, of course, want to quash the notion.
If the lab had it, and didn't create it, then it came from somewhere in nature. So even if it did leak from the lab, it is quite possible that it would've spilled over regardless.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If the lab had it, and didn't create it, then it came from somewhere in nature. So even if it did leak from the lab, it is quite possible that it would've spilled over regardless.
Makes sense. We may never know. They said on TV news tonight it might be years before we know, but I figure we may never know.

In any case I want to express my dismay and indignation about the attacks on Asians and Pacific Islanders. All that is really upsetting to me.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Major boo boo by an American factory with the J&J vaccine

Workers at a Baltimore plant manufacturing two coronavirus vaccines accidentally conflated the vaccines’ ingredients several weeks ago, ruining about 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine and forcing regulators to delay authorization of the plant’s production lines.
The plant is run by Emergent BioSolutions, a manufacturing partner to both Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca. Federal officials attributed the mistake to human error.
The mixup has halted future shipments of Johnson & Johnson doses in the United States while the Food and Drug Administration investigates. Johnson & Johnson has moved to strengthen its control over Emergent BioSolutions’ work to avoid further quality lapses.
The mistake is a major embarrassment for Johnson & Johnson, whose one-dose vaccine has been credited with speeding up the national immunization program.
It does not affect Johnson & Johnson doses that are currently being delivered and used nationwide. All those doses were produced in the Netherlands, where operations have been fully approved by federal regulators.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Major boo boo by an American factory with the J&J vaccine

Workers at a Baltimore plant manufacturing two coronavirus vaccines accidentally conflated the vaccines’ ingredients several weeks ago, ruining about 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine and forcing regulators to delay authorization of the plant’s production lines.
The plant is run by Emergent BioSolutions, a manufacturing partner to both Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca. Federal officials attributed the mistake to human error.
The mixup has halted future shipments of Johnson & Johnson doses in the United States while the Food and Drug Administration investigates. Johnson & Johnson has moved to strengthen its control over Emergent BioSolutions’ work to avoid further quality lapses.
The mistake is a major embarrassment for Johnson & Johnson, whose one-dose vaccine has been credited with speeding up the national immunization program.
It does not affect Johnson & Johnson doses that are currently being delivered and used nationwide. All those doses were produced in the Netherlands, where operations have been fully approved by federal regulators.

That is a preeeettty big contractor fuckup.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
As of now they mostly talk about the UK, S. Africa & Brazil variants. They said the UK is more transmittable but not any more deadly than "regular" covid. Is that still true?
And about the other 2, what's the latest on those?

That really sucks about the J&J mishap. At least it was caught before being shipped out.

We have some at work that refuse to get an mRNA vaccine, which is all we have around here ATM, unless you're a teacher. Who knows when another type will be available here.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
As of now they mostly talk about the UK, S. Africa & Brazil variants. They said the UK is more transmittable but not any more deadly than "regular" covid. Is that still true?
And about the other 2, what's the latest on those?

I believe it was also determined that 117 is actually somewhat more deadly along with being much more transmissible.

That really sucks about the J&J mishap. At least it was caught before being shipped out.

We have some at work that refuse to get an mRNA vaccine, which is all we have around here ATM, unless you're a teacher. Who knows when another type will be available here.

The mRNA vaccines look to have knocked it out of the park in effectiveness and safety. Why do they refuse?
J&J is still shipping bulk product in from the Netherlands and thinks they can meet their end of May delivery goal of 100M doses, so we'll be seeing a lot more of it in the coming months. The problems at Emergent fortunately don't extend to Catalent who's doing much of J&J's fill-finish work in the US.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Wife scheduled yesterday for a J&J shot today. Perfect timing for that news to hit after she made the appointment. :D

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
The mRNA vaccines look to have knocked it out of the park in effectiveness and safety. Why do they refuse?
Owner at work started asking people if they wanted to get signed up for the vaccine thru one of the drug stores when they start offering them sometime after April 19(that's when PA will allow everyone)
At least one guy didn't want to get the 2 dose shots. I think he's afraid of needles. He did cave though & signed up.
One guy i was standing next to when asked say he "didn't want the gene therapy vaccine. Only J&J" if he gets one at all. I know there are others who think the mRNA vaccines are gene therapy or will alter your DNA.
Some of the others i don't know their reason. So that leaves about 6 or 7 people that aren't getting vaccinated, at least not yet.

Fayto6t.gif
Fayto6t.gif

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
But... why?

Personally I would not do it but as the article said, there were many would as the event was sold out very quickly. Japan is not alone. A few months ago, Singapore Airlines did something similar. A short flight from Singapore then circled around a little and then landed back to Singapore and it was sold out quickly too.

I would take $500 and take my g/f to a nice restaurant and have a blast.

Speaking of sit down restaurants, I drove past by a Waffle House a few days ago and the parking lot was almost full.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Got Pfizer #1 today at a megasite in NJ. 2:30 appt, got there at 2:20 and there was a loooong line outdoors. However it moved fast but the whole time I was there it never got shorter overall. 35 minutes to get indoors, then I was out in 20 min. They were very efficient indoors - temp taken, check my phone for the appt code, then off and running to get poked, no further wait - they are just trying to get as many people vaccinated per day as possible it seems. Around 6,000 at that site daily. It's a FEMA site.

Last edited: