NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 561 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
it's weird because i used to DESPISE eating in the car

and now it's the only thing i can possibly imagine doing
I really wish some sit down restaurants would serve you in the car. I don't miss eating out, but there are few times would I would've gone some where if they served me in the car. Most of the outdoor dining around here is still too tight for my tastes, and the restaurants I most want to go to don't have it. Not going to pay $15-20 a person to eat out of take out containers in my car.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Latest news. Netherland and Ireland are the two latest countries to put AZ vaccine on hold.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
i do that exclusively for groceries now

order them ahead of time and have them stick them in the trunk

occasionally they screw stuff up or don't have what i want though

so i would like to be able to go back in the grocery store someday
I'm a frequent grocery shopper... I prefer to go 2-3 times per week to stick to smaller batches of fresh produce and alternator-sized meat and milk and bread....rather than bulk buying where you end up wasting stuff.

I've switched from only pickup back to shopping in the store once every week or two. I typically don't trust pickup because they don't always give you the best expiry dates...they sometimes just grab whatever and don't look. I'm used to milk/bread lasting at least a week. They also really suck at substitutions. I order gluten free things for my wife since September when she got diagnosed with Celiac and they always substitute non-GF premium brands as if they're the same thing. Watch out if you have food allergies.

Reactions: Zorba

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I've actually realized that I don't miss dining out much at all. Really the only dining experience I really miss is a good Chinese Buffet. Other than that, I cook healther/better at home, it's quicker, and don't have to deal with orders being wrong or poor service, etc. I'm worried I'll fall back into the habit, but hoping not.

What on earth is a good Chinese Buffet?

• Haha
Reactions: Muse

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
What on earth is a good Chinese Buffet?
Well there's certainly such a thing as a bad Chinese Buffet, so in relative terms, there must also be good ones.

Really, there is a lot of Chinese food I like in small quantities, but wouldn't want a whole meal of, so I think that is why I miss the buffets.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well there's certainly such a thing as a bad Chinese Buffet, so in relative terms, there must also be good ones.

Really, there is a lot of Chinese food I like in small quantities, but wouldn't want a whole meal of, so I think that is why I miss the buffets.

I have yet to run into a good one. Not that I eat at buffet frequently, the wife likes "choices" :rolleyes: She eats like a bird.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm a frequent grocery shopper... I prefer to go 2-3 times per week to stick to smaller batches of fresh produce and alternator-sized meat and milk and bread....rather than bulk buying where you end up wasting stuff.

I've switched from only pickup back to shopping in the store once every week or two. I typically don't trust pickup because they don't always give you the best expiry dates...they sometimes just grab whatever and don't look. I'm used to milk/bread lasting at least a week. They also really suck at substitutions. I order gluten free things for my wife since September when she got diagnosed with Celiac and they always substitute non-GF premium brands as if they're the same thing. Watch out if you have food allergies.
Pandemic, my shopping runs are minimum every 2 weeks (neighbor) and I waste next to nothing. I'm seasoned, shall we say? I freeze meat, cheese. My freezer always seems to be 75+% full. I bake my own bread in a bread machine and divide a ~2.5lb loaf in thirds and freeze the bags, pull out one when I need it. For milk, I've been buying nonfat dry milk powder forever. I only mix what I can use before it'll go bad.

Now that I'm vaccinated I don't expect to do shopping runs more than every other week on average. Will see. I used to go to Costco every 6-8 weeks, changed to every 2 weeks 2-3 years ago. Since pandemic started have hit Costco only once, ~August. I'm gonna hit them in the next week, don't know how often from here. Maybe every 2 weeks again, gives me opportunity to use my car to keep it fit... normally I just don't drive unless I'm golfing and I'm told my home course has been completely overrun by newbies looking for outdoor recreation. Damn virus. I haven't been up there since the pandemic began.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Pandemic, my shopping runs are minimum every 2 weeks (neighbor) and I waste next to nothing. I'm seasoned, shall we say? I freeze meat, cheese. My freezer always seems to be 75+% full. I bake my own bread in a bread machine and divide a ~2.5lb loaf in thirds and freeze the bags, pull out one when I need it. For milk, I've been buying nonfat dry milk powder forever. I only mix what I can use before it'll go bad.

Now that I'm vaccinated I don't expect to do shopping runs more than every other week on average. Will see. I used to go to Costco every 6-8 weeks, changed to every 2 weeks 2-3 years ago. Since pandemic started have hit Costco only once, ~August. I'm gonna hit them in the next week, don't know how often from here. Maybe every 2 weeks again, gives me opportunity to use my car to keep it fit... normally I just don't drive unless I'm golfing and I'm told my home course has been completely overrun by newbies looking for outdoor recreation. Damn virus. I haven't been up there since the pandemic began.
I'd be a total different kind of hermit if I didn't have a wife that works in healthcare and kids that have been going to in-person school since August 30.

I could totally live on oatmeal and canned sardines/tuna if I wanted to. My freezer is filled up, but mainly because my wife keeps buying meat and doesn't cook what we have...she keeps buying more. When the pandemic started, I was in charge of shopping mostly and I would buy/freeze chicken and beef to get through 1-2 weeks at a time too. The grocery stores here were only selling bulk ground beef and chicken breasts due to supply chain disruptions when the restaurants and meat processors were having issues.

I heard the same thing about golf around here too.

Reactions: Muse

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I ate out for the first time in a year last night. We dined outside for our wedding anniversary. It was fun but kind of surreal.

And yes I missed it other than the part at the end with the bill.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I haven't eaten out since before the pandemic, a family get together 2 weeks before lockdown. I did eat take out for my birthday.

I don't even know where I'd go now, but I am vaccinated. There's a little Indian place close I used to go to, usually for takeout, once in a long while but suspect they closed. I guess there are threads locally, Nextdoor, I could check out. I barely care. I am so far from helpless when it comes to food and cooking, but it does get old sometimes. Still, I'm liking my breakfasts and daily salads. Have never ordered a delivered pizza in my life, but can make one of the best pizzas you're ever eaten any time I want... made one SB Sunday.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Step son gets his moderna vaccine this evening. He's a substitute right now and locally they're giving shots to educators so he was able to get an appt. Once he's done, the whole house (minus my 11 yr old) will be vaccinated so I'm really happy. We get our 2nd shots this sunday.

Feb 4, 2009
i don't know if i'll be able to eat at restaurants again. the thought of going inside of one kind of freaks me out.

i have to get myself ready just to go through the drive thru, and only go to places that allow pre-payment via mobile app.

gonna have to buy a kaido-approved combioven and make everything myself!

then again, i really need to cut back on eating anyway. i'm up about 10 lbs since last summer.
Yeah they were just discussing resuming 100% indoor dining on the local news and something very close to the above was the first thing to pop into my head as well.

I do love eating a really good meal out but it's going to be weird. :(

Calm the F down guys. Get vaccinated, follow the rules and you will be fine.
Living thru a Pandemic should not be an excuse to continually act socially inept or feed problems as in being on the spectrum.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Calm the F down guys. Get vaccinated, follow the rules and you will be fine.
Living thru a Pandemic should not be an excuse to continually act socially inept or feed problems as in being on the spectrum.

I've had my first vaccine already so no, YOU !!!! ;)

no_u_for_knowyourmeme.jpg

Seriously I was never a huge fan of eating in a room packed full of strangers anyway and a year of delivery/take-out hasn't served to make me feel any better about it. (despite my love for the sushi-bar!)

While I'm certain I will dine out again in the future, I'll be allowing other brave souls to be the pioneer's!

got-my-covid-19-vaccine-feeling-great-meme.jpg

:p *(THAT was my "before" pic!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarpozzi
Feb 4, 2009
Personally I am looking forward to sitting down with some Bros I haven’t seen in a while, have a nice man type meal meal (steak or pork roast), talk about some stuff then have a nice glass or whiskey or scotch. Then go home and go to bed because it will be late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Got my first dose of Sputnik. Figured I'd go with that one as I heard it's more effective and has no side effects and СССР снова восстанет. Смерть Америке.

So are you turning brunette or blonde yet? Running around your house and say "beep...beep..."? Or even worse, about to be bald as @Captante ? :D

Last edited:
  • Haha

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Lol this is great.
My sister-in-law is a nurse that now does vaccines full time. She says that there have been a very large number of people who are exactly 80, then exactly 70, then exactly 60. Soon almost everyone will be exactly 50. Odd that there are so few people that are 72 or 78. They just seem to jump from 70 years old to 80 years old.

That said, at least at her site they don't check days or months (that way they don't need to bicker over whether the vaccine is given a few days too soon). If your ID say's you are born in 1971, then they consider you to be 50 years old regardless of whether you are 50.1 years old or 49.9 years old.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
That said, at least at her site they don't check days or months (that way they don't need to bicker over whether the vaccine is given a few days too soon). If your ID say's you are born in 1971, then they consider you to be 50 years old regardless of whether you are 50.1 years old or 49.9 years old.

so they're using korean age calculations

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
A girl I'm dating that works in a school in NYC got her vaccine appointment last week - but it's not until middle of May. Which is weird because I went on dates with two other girls that work in NYC schools last month that both had both shots already. Not sure where the disconnect is, I'll have to ask her for more details.

I will get the vaccine first chance I can when the general pop can get it in NJ. I really doubt that's going to be May 1st though, or even in May at all. It's going to be really hard to get appointments I am guessing when the general pop opens up. I also really want one of the mRna vaccines, not the J&J.

Feb 4, 2009
A girl I'm dating that works in a school in NYC got her vaccine appointment last week - but it's not until middle of May. Which is weird because I went on dates with two other girls that work in NYC schools last month that both had both shots already. Not sure where the disconnect is, I'll have to ask her for more details.

I will get the vaccine first chance I can when the general pop can get it in NJ. I really doubt that's going to be May 1st though, or even in May at all. It's going to be really hard to get appointments I am guessing when the general pop opens up. I also really want one of the mRna vaccines, not the J&J.

J&J has the benefit of being tested vs the variants. I would take whatever the choice is, you are a young guy all of the various vaccines will provide you with excellent coverage.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
J&J has the benefit of being tested vs the variants. I would take whatever the choice is, you are a young guy all of the various vaccines will provide you with excellent coverage.
Exactly.
1) The mRNA vaccines were not tested against the other variants. So, we don't know their efficacy.
2) The J&J vaccine will likely have boosters, so it will likely be as effective or more than the mRNA vaccines.

Last edited: