NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 559 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Whats the story with Oxford saying they will make the vaccine public, but then later sign an exclusive with AZ?

As I recall they said they would license it, which they have to AZ and the Serum Institute of India. Brazil had also planned to manufacture it but not sure what's happened to those plans.

As long as it remains unapproved in the US, it would be best to send at least some of them abroad to places that will use them, especially with more and more approved vaccine stock becoming available by the day.

I think this will happen soonish. Politically I can understand the desire to delay until Pfizer/J&J output picks up as promised. I could see them starting with smallish shipments so as to maintain a stockpile but say "Hey we got this sitting around and its aging and we can't use it so we're going to loan it to Europe and others".

We should release them. It'll be at least a month before it's approved here, and with how people are being about J&J, I seriously doubt many Americans would want the Oxford one when they can wait a few days and get one of three that are better.

Doubt it will be authorized until May at the earliest and Novavax will probably come around the same time. Conceivably we could end up exporting the entire stock since we'll probably start exhausting demand around then if all goes well.

Reactions: Zorba

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
There is an outbreak at Duke. Bunch of Fratbros had parties. Someone on the basketball team got it and they had to forfeit their conference tournament game. Be the first time in 24 years that Duke didn't make the NCAA tournament.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
There is an outbreak at Duke. Bunch of Fratbros had parties. Someone on the basketball team got it and they had to forfeit their conference tournament game. Be the first time in 24 years that Duke didn't make the NCAA tournament.
I see the need for contact and affection is insatiable.

About damn time they take a back seat for once.

lol.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Now Thailand is putting AZ's vaccine on hold.
I think it's just to have the news cycle cool down. They'll "find" "no casual relationship" and they just start things right back up.

Tax revenue is more important than one or two lives here or there to the state.

Dec 10, 2005
I think it's just to have the news cycle cool down. They'll "find" "no casual relationship" and they just start things right back up.

It's entirely feasible that there is no relationship between the vaccine and blood clots; let them actually look into it. No need to spread FUD as if they're going to cover it up (which seems pretty hard to do, given the number of people involved and the public light being shined down.

Reactions: K1052

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No crocodile tears here (tired of hearing "Duke, Duke Duke," let the fratboys stew in their juices). :mad:

Edit: Go Zags! Kick @ZZ!

Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It's entirely feasible that there is no relationship between the vaccine and blood clots; let them actually look into it. No need to spread FUD as if they're going to cover it up (which seems pretty hard to do, given the number of people involved and the public light being shined down.
I'd trust them as much as a Monsanto-funded or tobacco-industry funded study.

Around 1 in 10 million is what legal case data indicates proven vaccines are likely to have a hiccup that is conclusively determined to be caused by a vaccine.

Dec 10, 2005
I'd trust them as much as a Monsanto-funded or tobacco-industry funded study.

Around 1 in 10 million is what legal case data indicates proven vaccines are likely to have a hiccup that is conclusively determined to be caused by a vaccine.
The data is public - hard to fake it. Plus, considering the studies are not directly run by the pharma companies (they open independent study sites through CROs to run the trials), it would be hard for them to cover stuff up. And on top of it, the FDA actually reanalyzed data on their own as part of their reviews.

I wouldn't give much credence to legal case data. Those are courts, not science.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The data is public - hard to fake it. Plus, considering the studies are not directly run by the pharma companies (they open independent study sites through CROs to run the trials), it would be hard for them to cover stuff up. And on top of it, the FDA actually reanalyzed data on their own as part of their reviews.

I wouldn't give much credence to legal case data. Those are courts, not science.
Studying an individual blood clot requires exminaing the single specimen and seeing what physically happened to it. But even coroners can, with the proper prodding, be incentivized to commit to paper what is not the actual fact.

There are different kinds of results in the vaccine court and the case data distinguishes between them . My number was based on solely the "compensable concession" cases and not ones by settlement or by the court. The actual amount for 2006-2019 is 3.3*10^-7 for compensable concessions only .

Concession: HHS concludes that a petition should be compensated based on a thorough review and analysis of the evidence, including medical records
and the scientific and medical literature. The HHS review concludes that the petitioner is entitled to compensation, including a determination either that it
is more likely than not that the vaccine caused the injury or the evidence supports fulfillment of the criteria of the Vaccine Injury Table. The Court also
determines that the petition should be compensated.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

And the Florida State basketball team appreciates the forfeit. Go Noles!

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Thousands of lives are more important than one or two. We have completely flunked the trolley problem as a world.

ETA: When you vaccinate millions in a short period of time, just probability says some will have issues completely unrelated to the vaccine close to when they got it.

A lady in the Moderna trial in the US was killed by lightning, as an example.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Good bye Red. Can I have your stuffs? :D

Hang in there dude. You can do it, the little red engine that could.

At this point I've accepted my fate. This is not going away any time soon here lol. I'm not really worried about the actual virus though, there's like hardly no cases in my city. Most of the cases are down south, though there's a couple hot spots here in the north too. Mostly LTC homes. I feel bad for anyone that has loved ones in those as a lot of them have died and not like you're allowed to go visit either.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
One week after my first Moderna shot and no problems. I got the shot because I am a caretaker for my special needs son (autism). He was not eligible. CA is expanding who can get the shot on Monday and he now is. I will be on my computer at 7:00 getting him an appointment so he can be vaccinated.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Heres a graph from my hospital, blue is confirmed inpatients with covid, red is confirmed inpatients in critical care.

How cool is that? We've nearly won!

View attachment 40997
I remember when things were turning bad about 9 months ago they kept saying that the second wave is going to be worse. This is exactly what they were talking about.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I remember when things were turning bad about 9 months ago they kept saying that the second wave is going to be worse. This is exactly what they were talking about.
We got off lightly in the first wave, and the summer we were pretty covid free. We got hammered in the second.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
We got off lightly in the first wave, and the summer we were pretty covid free. We got hammered in the second.
I am in Southern California. We had ZERO percent capacity in ICUs for about 4 weeks. They started to limit oxygen and told ambulances if there was little chance of someone surviving to not even take them the hospital. Right in the middle of this my 87 year old overweight, diabetic father in law got COVD from his dialysis clinic. Somehow he made it through.

Not on the frontlines like you, so I did not see if first hand. But I was pretty nervous there for a but that if I had a medical problem such as a heart attack, the infrastructure was not there to take care of me.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I am in Southern California. We had ZERO percent capacity in ICUs for about 4 weeks. They started to limit oxygen and told ambulances if there was little chance of someone surviving to not even take them the hospital. Right in the middle of this my 87 year old overweight, diabetic father in law got COVD from his dialysis clinic. Somehow he made it through.

Not on the frontlines like you, so I did not see if first hand. But I was pretty nervous there for a but that if I had a medical problem such as a heart attack, the infrastructure was not there to take care of me.
I think the biggest scare for staff was that with over a third of patients coming through the door covid positive it was impossible to completely isolate vulnerable patients from it.
No one wants a vulnerable patient to be made ill by coming into hospital but we don't want ill people not coming into hospital if they need to be there. That was really stressful to manage.

• Wow
Reactions: pmv

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
At this point I've accepted my fate. This is not going away any time soon here lol. I'm not really worried about the actual virus though, there's like hardly no cases in my city. Most of the cases are down south, though there's a couple hot spots here in the north too. Mostly LTC homes. I feel bad for anyone that has loved ones in those as a lot of them have died and not like you're allowed to go visit either.

Hang in there, bud. Just don't be like these fools.

‘Granny shouldn’t be out here’: Maskless spring breakers flout South Beach COVID rules (yahoo.com)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Now they're saying there's a rise in infections in 20-39 age group so yeah, still have to be diligent. I'm introvert so it's not really so bad but I imagine lot of people in this age group are really having a hard time with this after over a year of it.

They did start to vaccinate in my city though so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Given there's not really any hockey going on they could probably really ramp this up if they had a clinic at each arena. Though I think supply is more an issue than space.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One week after my first Moderna shot and no problems. I got the shot because I am a caretaker for my special needs son (autism). He was not eligible. CA is expanding who can get the shot on Monday and he now is. I will be on my computer at 7:00 getting him an appointment so he can be vaccinated.
Yeah, people with comorbidities will become eligible in CA. About 12M have been vaccinated here, out of 40M.