NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 558 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Brief update ... daughters Covid test came back positive. :(

Her taking that job @ Target was a huge & obvious mistake ... too bad young people tend to not listen very well. But to be fair it might have been her roomates being irresponsible too and it's pointless laying blame after the fact.

So far she's got a low fever, body aches and zero energy. No cough or chest congestion. She's quarantined in her room in apartment.

Frankly I'd feel a whole lot better if she were here in CT with Yale New Haven ER two miles away.

Damn. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Thanks ... chances are good since she's 22 and very healthy but no famous last words from me at this point. Will report back.

(I didn't sleep much last night)
Not to downplay your concern, but keep in mind her odds are extremely favorable. Probably over 100M Americans have contracted SARS-CoV-2 and healthy young adults rarely have severe cases.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Brief update ... daughters Covid test came back positive. :(

Her taking that job @ Target was a huge & obvious mistake ... too bad young people tend to not listen very well. But to be fair it might have been her roomates being irresponsible too and it's pointless laying blame after the fact.

So far she's got a low fever, body aches and zero energy. No cough or chest congestion. She's quarantined in her room in apartment.

Frankly I'd feel a whole lot better if she were here in CT with Yale New Haven ER two miles away.
Death is unlikely. She'll likely have a productivity hit though. Things that were easy to do can start looking and feeling like a whale. So her grades might suffer. Talking, reading, etc can become a real chore. I think that will be the more realistic concern for her going forward.

She might even feel off for three or so months, much like my "mystery illness 2019 that's really similar to COVID" did.

She should keep a log of her progression through the disease.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Not to downplay your concern, but keep in mind her odds are extremely favorable. Probably over 100M Americans have contracted SARS-CoV-2 and healthy young adults rarely have severe cases.

Got kids? ;)

Logically of course I realize you are 100% correct HOWEVER .... logic doesn't help a lot at 4am alone in the dark.

She should keep a log of her progression through the disease.

Tough enough to get regular replies to texts out of her under ANY circumstances lolol.

:D

Reactions: manly

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Got kids? ;)

Logically of course I realize you are 100% correct HOWEVER .... logic doesn't help a lot at 4am alone in the dark.

Tough enough to get regular replies to texts out of her under ANY circumstances lolol.

:D
Well, I never said she had to send you the information. Only for her own self-uh...benefit.

;)

I guess she's not the geeky self-examination type like yours truly. :p

• Haha

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Got kids? ;)

She should take some zinc, vitamin D and C, rest, stay hydrated. Some gatoraid or equivalent might help. Maybe get her that oximeter. I have all those things, but never caught it. Best wishes!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
She should take some zinc, vitamin D and C, rest, stay hydrated. Some gatoraid or equivalent might help. Maybe get her that oximeter. I have all those things, but never caught it. Best wishes!

You reading my texts? ;)

This post could be a copy/paste of what I sent her earlier.

Also I was shopping for oximeter's last night ... gonna wait a couple days and see how it goes before buying though. (several decent ones on Prime so I can get one to her fast if need be)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarpozzi and Muse

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Update on myself:

I've been "free" of coughs and symptoms for about a week now. March 7 and 8, I did not log anything.

Still got some shortness of breath and some lack of stamina. I'm not sure if it is sleep deprivation or partial virus damage. But my usual "litany of misery" from tight muscles is all back. So yes, this thing did give me a pain killer. Who needs fentanyl when you can have COVID. lol

Also, somehow my mom has tested negative twice despite being in the same room as I during the time I should have been infectious. She says she felt off a bit, but since its not my body, I can't be sure if it is just other causes or a false negative.

Reactions: Zorba and Captante

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Those thing have an expiry date...

Yes that's part of what they're watching. Letting doses go bad in storage isn't something they are likely to let happen. Think it's more of a question when the political cost is sufficiently low to release to countries that have approved which likely is proportional to increasing availability of US approved shots.

Maybe by sometime in April they could start releases to EU/Canada/Mexico.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Yes that's part of what they're watching. Letting doses go bad in storage isn't something they are likely to let happen. Think it's more of a question when the political cost is sufficiently low to release to countries that have approved which likely is proportional to increasing availability of US approved shots.

Maybe by sometime in April they could start releases to EU/Canada/Mexico.
IIRC the AZ trial data in the U.S. sucked ass (relatively speaking) so just sell that shit off to EU with mark-up. :p

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
IIRC the AZ trial data in the U.S. sucked ass (relatively speaking) so just sell that shit off to EU with mark-up. :p

AZ U.S. trial data is not in yet which is what's holding things up. They had a shot at authorization based on foreign trials but screwed up big time. Then the Pfizer data came in and the rest is history.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
edit: sorry. I missed K1052's earlier post.

Good news for those of you who have been waiting.

According to CNN, President Biden is going to announce tonight he is directing US states to open coronavirus vaccine eligibility to all adults no later than May 1.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Nov 8, 2012
US is sitting on a ton of AZ/Oxford doses which of course is not approved here yet, though it is abroad some places. Europe would like some of the stock.
Politically it's really hard for the US to say yes when supplies of vaccine are still limited domestically.

Whats the story with Oxford saying they will make the vaccine public, but then later sign an exclusive with AZ?

Dec 10, 2005
US is sitting on a ton of AZ/Oxford doses which of course is not approved here yet, though it is abroad some places. Europe would like some of the stock.
Politically it's really hard for the US to say yes when supplies of vaccine are still limited domestically.

As long as it remains unapproved in the US, it would be best to send at least some of them abroad to places that will use them, especially with more and more approved vaccine stock becoming available by the day.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

We should release them. It'll be at least a month before it's approved here, and with how people are being about J&J, I seriously doubt many Americans would want the Oxford one when they can wait a few days and get one of three that are better.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You're the third person to post this information.
It's always funny how the people that complain the most about how other people post, never post relevant information themselves.

My wife was rushing me out the door and I didn't get to catch up on the thread before I posted it, sorry.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You're the third person to post this information.

33x4fq.jpg

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
It's always funny how the people that complain the most about how other people post, never post relevant information themselves.

My wife was rushing me out the door and I didn't get to catch up on the thread before I posted it, sorry.
Haha, defensive much? Your post was literally right after the second posting of the information.