NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 552 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Biden says today there will be enough vaccine for 300M Americans by the end of May. Driver appears to be bumped up J&J projections which have them delivering 100M doses by May and not June.

Presumably they've cut some time by bringing Merck on to help with fill and finish via the DPA. Doesn't sound like the DPA usage was coercive but constructive where the government will pay a premium for Merck to shift capacity into helping out J&J.

That's huge afaic. End of may is not that far off.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
This is not the reaction I'm hearing from the people I know. Also construction workers would set their peckers on fire if you told them they couldn't.

Or offered per diem. Seriously though I don't know anyone outside of my own house that isn't happy about this. But to be fair that is not a huge number of people as I only pretend to be a social person here.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Uh, few months early. Cases have started to edge up and there is considerable concern that other, more contagious, variants in circulation could push that trend higher if we don't keep the pedal down for a while longer. But don't worry - Texas is here to help us maintain third world status.

That's not happening unless there's a third wave. I think you will see most states reopen pretty much everything about a month from now. Maybe they will keep the masks for a little longer. You have to figure that Governors are in some pressure to move on this, especially when real unemployment is extremely high.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Or offered per diem. Seriously though I don't know anyone outside of my own house that isn't happy about this. But to be fair that is not a huge number of people as I only pretend to be a social person here.

Yeah, me and the husband are in office worker world and everybody is extremely leery about this. Would not be surprised if large corps pushed back plans to repopulate their campuses which I've heard were percolating.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, me and the husband are in office worker world and everybody is extremely leery about this. Would not be surprised if large corps pushed back plans to repopulate their campuses which I've heard were percolating.

When our office reopened for mandatory in person in September everyone wore masks except for those of us that never left, by November only the people that may have been exposed wore masks. Peoples surroundings affect the way they see things. My wife thought I wore a mask all day, she was not amused when I said the only time I wear one is when I walk into a restaurant for lunch. I am not against masks at all but when surrounded by people that don't wear them school yard training kicks in and you comply so as not to be singled out.

Eventually after a year of living basically normal life and not getting sick really makes you question your commitment and it would be real easy for me to start believing the same things people keep saying around here about this being overblown. I need this to be over so I can regain some faith in people otherwise I am going to find myself on the other side eventually.

Feb 4, 2009

My wife’s company which is a well know nation wide retailer said the corporate offices will open with limited staffing some time in July at the earliest.
She works in a building with probably a few hundred people in it give or take. With others similar buildings in the area.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
We have our own variant now, and vaccines don't work as well:

Great...

The number of new cases in California is back down to pre-surge levels, or even June 2020 levels, and number of % positives are reaching new lows.

To me it is truly starting to feel like this might be over very soon. These new variants aren't really blowing anything up anywhere in US and they've been circulating for at least 2 months now.

Feb 4, 2009
J&J isn't the same as new-tech RNA vaccine, btw.

I truely am not looking to argue however I need to point out back then the question was asked what would the DPA do? Do you (me) propose ford start making mRNA goop?
what is in the link was exactly what I was talking about. Make competitors work together to produce a solution. Either they do it willingly or they do it by order.

Reactions: Zorba

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
When I told my wife Texas is opening back up 100% starting tomorrow and not requiring masks, she was all worried and wanted me to cancel the trip to Austin for this month. But I reassured her Austin is blue and people there are probably more educated and careful than rest of the state. Then my sister called me like an hour ago asking me if I knew Texas was opening back up and not requiring masks. She knows I'm going to Austin as well. She also told me we shouldn't go. But I'm not really that worried. My wife and I should have our second vaccine shots by then and we'll wear mask like we've been doing. Hopefully, most people will continue to use masks but if not, that's their choice. We'll do our part.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
When I told my wife Texas is opening back up 100% starting tomorrow and not requiring masks, she was all worried and wanted me to cancel the trip to Austin for this month. But I reassured her Austin is blue and people there are probably more educated and careful than rest of the state. Then my sister called me like an hour ago asking me if I knew Texas was opening back up and not requiring masks. She knows I'm going to Austin as well. She also told me we shouldn't go. But I'm not really that worried. My wife and I should have our second vaccine shots by then and we'll wear mask like we've been doing. Hopefully, most people will continue to use masks but if not, that's their choice. We'll do our part.

Mask adherence is likely to remain pretty high in Austin. If you’re a week or more past 2nd doses wouldn’t be too concerned and just take the usual precautions. That said if I see places with low adherence I’m not going in them.

Reactions: Zorba

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Well, only time will tell if Texas has jumped the gun or not.

Private and under the table meetings where the virus can be spread is impossible to regulate.

All data represent an actual transmission of a week or two before. Christmas and New Years clearly upped the numbers.

Government is not going to care if hospitals are not overwhelmed. There are budget goals to be made and not having businesses paying their taxes is going to make sure they won't be reached.

Wouldn't be surprised if the numbers start showing a spike in cases come the 16th or so.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
After the second shot I had a 12 hour window from about 36 to 48 hours after injection where I felt like crap and it continued to get worse until it all just went away in about 30 minutes. Fever, chills, body aches, minor headache, etc. Basically felt like a mini flu and definitely the most severe reaction to a vaccine I have ever experienced. First shot I had no reaction to at all.

But the feeling I have now of not having to worry about catching anything when I am out and about is such a relief. I would take those side effects for a week straight. My wife's grandfather (80 something) who had COVID in November had strong side effects on his first dose showing his body is still primed to fight this thing.
My MIL and Wife are in the Novavax trial. MIL had zero reaction to the first shot, not even a sore arm. We all though she had gotten saline. She got her second shot yesterday and felt like crap today.

Wife had body aches and a very slight fever the day after her second shot.

Reactions: local

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Huge difference between the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines and the J&J adenovirus-based vaccine. I'd bet more companies have adaptable infrastructure, especially those that were developing their own virus-based vaccines.
Biden used DPA for those as well to free up materials and equipment.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
If anything, full reopening is what the people want. Texas is jumping the gun here but only by a few weeks at most.
Probably by a couple months, especially dropping the mask mandate. Based on this news, wife and I cancelled a trip to Galveston next month. I don't want to hang out with a bunch of maskless idiots.

Reactions: Ajay

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Well, only time will tell if Texas has jumped the gun or not.

Private and under the table meetings where the virus can be spread is impossible to regulate.

All data represent an actual transmission of a week or two before. Christmas and New Years clearly upped the numbers.

Government is not going to care if hospitals are not overwhelmed. There are budget goals to be made and not having businesses paying their taxes is going to make sure they won't be reached.

Wouldn't be surprised if the numbers start showing a spike in cases come the 16th or so.
This is at least the third time certain governors have declared victory. Since the first time more than 400,000 people have died (likely more like 700,000 but states are lying).

Removing the mask mandate is just stupid at this point, especially in 4th worst state for vaccinations. Not sure what other restrictions Texas had, guessing not many. And of course spring breaks start next week, so likely see a lot of togetherness from non-vaccinated people.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
18 hours into my 2nd dose, my shoulder is noticeably more sore than it was after the first shot. It's not like I can't move my arm or anything, but it feels more sore than before.

I also have a headache right now and I "feel" like I could have a mild fever too. I'm going to hold off on taking any medicine for the time being and see if it just goes away but I'm planning on not going to the gym today like I usually do around 9:30am, unless I feel like 100% by then but I highly doubt that will happen.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I was walking into work this morning and there was some dumbass in the elevator lobby talking about COVID-19 like he was an authoritative figure. He was telling his colleagues that we are more or less out of the woods as a country because we are "at like 50% herd immunity right now so everything will be fine." Motherfucker said it so nonchalantly like it was a matter of fact. There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't even know where to begin.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
US Catholics urged to not get the J&J vaccine because of abortion. Sure they say "if you get to choose" but that isn't what people will hear. "The church says this is bad so I won't get any vaccine"

An American Catholic church body on Tuesday urged its followers to avoid the coronavirus vaccine developed by Johnson & Johnson, alleging that it was “developed, tested and produced using abortion-derived cell lines.”
The US Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) urged Catholics to choose between the alternatives offered by Pfizer and Moderna because the J&J vaccine raised questions about “moral permissibility.”

“The approval of Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccine for use in the United States again raises questions about the moral permissibility of using vaccines developed, tested, and/or produced with the help of abortion-derived cell lines,” said Bishop Kevin C Rhoades, chairman of USCCB.
The body said the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines are preferable “if one has the ability to choose a vaccine.”

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I'm jealous of purbeast0's pen and Ironwing's sticker and Exterous's sticker on his vaccination card. I didn't even GET a card until after the second shot. All I got was the vaccine. Wait... I guess that'll do after all. 👍 :D

Feb 4, 2009
I'm jealous of purbeast0's pen and Ironwing's sticker and Exterous's sticker on his vaccination card. I didn't even GET a card until after the second shot. All I got was the vaccine. Wait... I guess that'll do after all. 👍 :D

I got a card but no sticker, maybe on the second I’ll get a sticker.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Probably by a couple months, especially dropping the mask mandate.

Now if you want to say when ALL states will fully reopen, yes that will be several months. But that's more because they want to keep things shut down for some political reason.

The vaccine has been proven to be so effective that I wouldn't worry about going to spreaderville with even one shot.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Now if you want to say when ALL states will fully reopen, yes that will be several months. But that's more because they want to keep things shut down for some political reason.

The vaccine has been proven to be so effective that I wouldn't worry about going to spreaderville with even one shot.
Yeah, too bad Texas is in the bottom 4 states for vaccination rate and only 12.9% of the population has received the first shot, while millions of shots sit in freezers.

Masks don't hurt businesses and drastically reduce spread. There is no logical justification for removing the mask mandates today, when less than 7% of the population is fully vaccinated.

Reactions: Captante

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Each state will open at their own comfort level, that's not necessarily due to some political reasoning. Masks and social distancing do a fantastic job at reducing the spread, keeping things manageable. This has been politicized by a party that does that with everything.