NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 551 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
After the second shot I had a 12 hour window from about 36 to 48 hours after injection where I felt like crap and it continued to get worse until it all just went away in about 30 minutes. Fever, chills, body aches, minor headache, etc. Basically felt like a mini flu and definitely the most severe reaction to a vaccine I have ever experienced. First shot I had no reaction to at all.

But the feeling I have now of not having to worry about catching anything when I am out and about is such a relief. I would take those side effects for a week straight. My wife's grandfather (80 something) who had COVID in November had strong side effects on his first dose showing his body is still primed to fight this thing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Starting to feel early ripples of the coming economic recovery at work. Not gigantic by any means but more than I've seen since March of 2020. It's coming.

Reactions: uclaLabrat
Feb 4, 2009
I think pretty much any facility capable of making vaccines is already doing it. What would you suggest using DPA for?
He wants Trump to make Ford retool for more enzyme goop.

Oh look a place capable of making vaccine was not and now they are making the Johnson & Johnson “goop”.
Amazing what Presidents can do to encourage and even force if needed.

Dec 10, 2005
Oh look a place capable of making vaccine was not and now they are making the Johnson & Johnson “goop”.
Amazing what Presidents can do to encourage and even force if needed.

Huge difference between the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines and the J&J adenovirus-based vaccine. I'd bet more companies have adaptable infrastructure, especially those that were developing their own virus-based vaccines.

Reactions: destrekor and K1052

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
The school district where my wife works is going to start testing every 2 weeks so kids can come back FT. My wife was supposed to test this week but notified them that she got her vaccine. They told her she couldn't test because the vaccine contains some of the virus and could end up giving her a positive result, and then she couldn't get her 2nd dose for 90 days if she were to come back positive. I feel that this is a bunch of misinformation.

From what I understand, the vaccine doesn't have covid, and that you should continue testing because you're not actually immune from it. You can still catch it and be contagious. Can someone shed a bit of light on this?

Feb 4, 2009
Huge difference between the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines and the J&J adenovirus-based vaccine. I'd bet more companies have adaptable infrastructure, especially those that were developing their own virus-based vaccines.

the point back then was what could the President do with defense production act, make ford produce vaccine goop?
the cnn link shows what the President can do admittedly he did not use the DPA, he could have and I would assume the companies involved were told the DPA could and would be used if they don’t make an agreement.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
The school district where my wife works is going to start testing every 2 weeks so kids can come back FT. My wife was supposed to test this week but notified them that she got her vaccine. They told her she couldn't test because the vaccine contains some of the virus and could end up giving her a positive result, and then she couldn't get her 2nd dose for 90 days if she were to come back positive. I feel that this is a bunch of misinformation.

From what I understand, the vaccine doesn't have covid, and that you should continue testing because you're not actually immune from it. You can still catch it and be contagious. Can someone shed a bit of light on this?

Here you go. The CDC says no, you can't test positive from the vaccine.

"No. Neither the recently authorized and recommended vaccines nor the other COVID-19 vaccines currently in clinical trials in the United States can cause you to test positive on viral tests, which are used to see if you have a current infection."

"If your body develops an immune response—the goal of vaccination—there is a possibility you may test positive on some antibody tests."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

This site also says no.

"To the question of whether a COVID-19 vaccine alone could produce a positive test, Wald answered, 'No, it is not possible for the vaccine to produce a positive test.' ''

Dec 10, 2005
the point back then was what could the President do with defense production act, make ford produce vaccine goop?
the cnn link shows what the President can do admittedly he did not use the DPA, he could have and I would assume the companies involved were told the DPA could and would be used if they don’t make an agreement.
Yes, the DPA threat could be used to encourage cooperation when feasible. My point though is that manufacturing pharmaceuticals is not like making widgets. Parts are not easily interchangeable, and the approval of a drug isn't just the end product - it's literally the entire manufacturing process and facilities used in the manufacturing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Got my second Pfizer dose today.

And I got this awesome fucking pen too. It has liquid in it too!

image0.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's an awesome pen!

My workplace extended work from home to at least September now. I kinda figured it would get extended but it's official. My guess is we'll be like this until mid 2022 or so if they can get the majority vaccinated by then. We are doing pretty bad in Canada, only like 3% of the population has been vaccinated lol. The US is doing more in a day than we did total.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I got my Moderna #1 on Feb. 4. Feb. 4 + 28 days = Mar. 4. It took two weeks for the company that partnered with my town (Berkeley, CA) to send the people who got shots on that first day ("soft rollout") emails with link to schedule shot #2. I got mine set up immediately upon receiving that email for Mar. 4, 28 days after shot #1, 9:30-10:00AM, a drive through, you open your drivers' side door, rollup you sleeve, get your shot, drive to waiting area, get dismissed to go after 15 min. plus. I'd meantime scheduled shot #2 with Kaiser because the other people were so flaky in setting up the 2nd shot. I then cancelled Kaiser because it's a long drive to the Kaiser facility that was available for Mar. 4. So, I'm good for Thursday this week, in two days. The company is Curative.

Today after 10:00AM (2 days before scheduled shot #2) I get an email from the company that's giving the shots (they do covid testing too), saying they had "supply issues" necessitating rescheduling for... tomorrow! That's 27 days after the first shot. I figure no big deal but am pretty sure they're not supposed to do that. At the bottom of the email they have threatening language to pass on the info to nobody, the term "legal" being used, however I figure they're in no position to insist on that.

I figure their excuse of "supply issues" is bogus. Why would you move hundreds of people up one day because of supply issues? Makes no sense. They're probably trying to save money by the maneuver, or maybe save themselves some coordination issues. Their email looks hastily put together, more than one typo.

It's just a giant parking lot for a race track -- Golden Gate Fields in Albany, CA. All kinds of room, nothing else going on there, it can't have anything to do with conflicts of venue sharing. It's probably to save them paying more money for staffing, what else could it be?

I just hope they have viable vaccine, properly stored and that the people giving the shots know what they are doing and doing it appropriately, full dose.

Last edited:

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Why does Texas's voting population continually vote for leaders who hold the citizens in such contempt?

The jobsite I was on when this was literally announced site wide started celebrating like WW2 just ended again. The citizens are happy.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
If anything, full reopening is what the people want. Texas is jumping the gun here but only by a few weeks at most.
Uh, few months early. Cases have started to edge up and there is considerable concern that other, more contagious, variants in circulation could push that trend higher if we don't keep the pedal down for a while longer. But don't worry - Texas is here to help us maintain third world status.

Reactions: Zorba

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The jobsite I was on when this was literally announced site wide started celebrating like WW2 just ended again. The citizens are happy.

This is not the reaction I'm hearing from the people I know. Also construction workers would set their peckers on fire if you told them they couldn't.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I got my Moderna #1 on Feb. 4. Feb. 4 + 28 days = Mar. 4. It took two weeks for the company that partnered with my town (Berkeley, CA) to send the people who got shots on that first day ("soft rollout") emails with link to schedule shot #2. I got mine set up immediately upon receiving that email for Mar. 4, 28 days after shot #1, 9:30-10:00AM, a drive through, you open your drivers' side door, rollup you sleeve, get your shot, drive to waiting area, get dismissed to go after 15 min. plus. I'd meantime scheduled shot #2 with Kaiser because the other people were so flaky in setting up the 2nd shot. I then cancelled Kaiser because it's a long drive to the Kaiser facility that was available for Mar. 4. So, I'm good for Thursday this week, in two days. The company is Curative.

Today after 10:00AM (2 days before scheduled shot #2) I get an email from the company that's giving the shots (they do covid testing too), saying they had "supply issues" necessitating rescheduling for... tomorrow! That's 27 days after the first shot. I figure no big deal but am pretty sure they're not supposed to do that. At the bottom of the email they have threatening language to pass on the info to nobody, the term "legal" being used, however I figure they're in no position to insist on that.

I figure their excuse of "supply issues" is bogus. Why would you move hundreds of people up one day because of supply issues? Makes no sense. They're probably trying to save money by the maneuver, or maybe save themselves some coordination issues. Their email looks hastily put together, more than one typo.

It's just a giant parking lot for a race track -- Golden Gate Fields in Albany, CA. All kinds of room, nothing else going on there, it can't have anything to do with conflicts of venue sharing. It's probably to save them paying more money for staffing, what else could it be?

I just hope they have viable vaccine, properly stored and that the people giving the shots know what they are doing and doing it appropriately, full dose.
Did some online investigation. It's "considered valid" to give the 2nd Moderna shot up to 4 days before the recommended 28 elapsed days:
- -
Persons age 18 years and older should receive 2 doses at least 28 days apart.

Second doses administered up to 4 days before the recommended date (24 or more days after first dose) are considered valid. However, doses administered earlier do not need to be repeated.

Second doses should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible.

Do not use the grace period to schedule appointments for the second dose.

There is no maximum interval between the first and second dose.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Texas is almost last in percentage of population who've gotten the vaccine among the states but sure...yee haw people.
Gov. Abbot, Lt. Gov. Patrick and Cruz are the lowest scum.

Edit: From today's NYTimes:

Dan Patrick, the lieutenant governor of Texas, is clearly what my father would have called a piece of work.

Early in the pandemic he made headlines by saying that older Americans should be willing to risk death so that younger people could “get back to work.” More recently, he suggested that Texans who found themselves with $17,000 electricity bills after the February freeze had only themselves to blame, because they didn’t “read the fine print.”

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I didn't get anything other than a sticker on my COVID vaccination card :(

On the other hand neither my wife or myself had any side effects other than some mild fatigue after the second shot so that's a plus

Reactions: Captante and K1052

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Biden says today there will be enough vaccine for 300M Americans by the end of May. Driver appears to be bumped up J&J projections which have them delivering 100M doses by May and not June.

Presumably they've cut some time by bringing Merck on to help with fill and finish via the DPA. Doesn't sound like the DPA usage was coercive but constructive where the government will pay a premium for Merck to shift capacity into helping out J&J.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Texas governor just ended the statewide mask mandate.

I will continue with my mask, social distance, hands cleaning, and other measures that I have been doing for months.