NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 550 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Horrible statistics

My buddy's grandpa got COVID at 80 years old. Went into the hospital for weeks & had to be boosted to 4L oxygen. Almost didn't make it. Made it out alive & refuses to get the vaccine. I can't imagine almost dying from a virus, where you only get maybe 90 days of natural immunity, and then refusing to take a vaccine that could potentially give you a full year's worth of immunity.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Also, pretty much what I expected. I'd be rich if the optimistic news that comes out on the virus was a stock and I shorted that stcok.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
We have our own variant now, and vaccines don't work as well:

Great...
Well, doesn't seem to be enough evidence to really confirm the claims (doc refers to variation from sample to sample). So another wait and see game.
On another note - I'd like to thank all those who thought masking was a farce and that congregating in large groups was safe for potentially ramping up this monster :mad:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Well, doesn't seem to be enough evidence to really confirm the claims (doc refers to variation from sample to sample). So another wait and see game.
On another note - I'd like to thank all those who thought masking was a farce and that congregating in large groups was safe for potentially ramping up this monster :mad:
While masking has likely reduced or prevented some cases, the virus can get by masks and many people might never know it. If it didn't hit me hard enough, I never would have contacted the doctor myself. The place I likely got it was Walmart or Home Depot, stores in which I can't get in without a mask.

I am in agreement with your general point. Just that even rule-followers like myself still caught it.

Reactions: Ajay

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
heard on the radio this morning.. New York State is now allowing wedding receptions at 50% capacity providing:

-every attendee has proof of a neg covid test result, no more than 72 hrs prior to the event
- proof that you have rec'd the 2nd injection of the vaccine at least 14 days prior to the event will be allowed in lieu of the covid test.

- also mention if it been more than 90 days since the 2nd part of the vaccination, you will have to get covid tested again to attend

** What are they saying? Is the vaccination only effective for 90 days?
Most of the vaccines require two doses to reach its full effectiveness. Its more of a safety protocol "oh you didn't get your 2nd dose, you might not actually be immune".
Re-read the bolded part

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Here's another infection update.
The COVID painkillers are wearing off more.

I've had to dealing to stronger coughs these past 24 hours. Finally starting to feel some mucus and "smell" the mucus. Also, the virus quietly might have have weakened my blood vessels in my nasal tissue, as gently blowing out the nose wound up blowing out some blood. My right nose was cauterized maybe 15 years ago but my left was okay. The blood came out each of them separate times, but just once; I haven't bled once or needed to blow out my nose since.

This is probably a good sign, as the presence of sensation means the virus is further dwindling.

But once again, my productivity has taken a hit as now the coughs are not as mild as they were when I first got my energy back and I can feel more sensation than before.

The virus once again contrasts with the flu. With the flu, when I'm coughing out near the end, the mucus shoots out of my throat and lungs into the mouth in a discrete thick piece(nasty, I know). Not so here. The pain of the flu cough is also much more pronounced and the spats more brutal. Nothing has come out in such a manner so far with COVID.

I also don't ever cough while sleeping.

Also, this virus might have an immune suppression effect. I had a dental problem before the virus where my right wisdom tooth area was swollen. It did not go away during the entire COVID spat and I could tell it swollen with my tongue, but it didn't give a swollen sensation because the virus suppressed. It has finally been shrinking down and feeling more and more normal.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
My wife's school and another school just had an outbreak with 14 cases at her school and 12 the another. The cause? Fucking HS wrestling. Who would have thought that heavy breathing + forced cuddling would be a risk factor. Of all the sports why is wrestling still allowed to be a thing this year?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
My wife's school and another school just had an outbreak with 14 cases at her school and 12 the another. The cause? Fucking HS wrestling. Who would have thought that heavy breathing + forced cuddling would be a risk factor. Of all the sports why is wrestling still allowed to be a thing this year?
It's like everything else. If you don't do it, people lose whatever resume credentials they obtain for participating in HS athletics. If you do, the risk a virus as durable as COVID is going to make its rounds.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
So i just went & got my DNA altered, er... got my first dose this morning.

Talked with my Dr. & got put on a list a few weeks age & said if i don't hear from anyone they gave me a number to call. I finally tried to call several times on Thursday but couldn't get anyone. Got home that night & there was a message for me to call & schedule. Called on Friday morning & got scheduled for today.
In & out in less than 30 minutes today & that was including the 15 minute wait afterward. Automatically scheduled for 3 weeks from now for the 2nd dose.

:)

Reactions: Ajay

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

We're probably going to have enough Pfizer vaccine in a couple months to start dosing HS students (16 and up) so maybe we should hold off on the indoor sports at least till then.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Got my first dose last night at Rite-Aid. My wife's co worker has a sister that works there and she called saying they had about 70 doses available for whoever so we jammed over there. By the time we got there there was a line outside of about 8 people so we waited. My wife and I ended up being the last two they let in, telling everyone else we were getting the last 2 doses for the day. All of a sudden a chick in line speaks up saying she had an appt, the guy confirmed the appt and turned to us and said we had to choose between us who's going to get the last dose because he had to give 1 to the appt. My wife let me get it since I'm diabetic and she's a teacher so she would be getting the vaccine before I would anyways.

I feel bad because it took about 2 hours for all the waiting etc. and she literally missed it by 1. I think she was bummed, but she's somewhat hesitant about getting 1 just because of the unknowns. But she'll most likely have to get it since she teaches. Her friend told her she'll let her know when they have extras again so that's a good in, but hopefully she gets it soon.

I got home and pretty much immediately started feeling a bit drowsy. My arm is a little sore this morning, and I feel like I pounded a bottle of Nyquil, but I'm having a cup of coffee and everything is starting to feel normal again. Should be fine in an hour or so. Might have to get the wife some flowers or something for letting me get the last dose lol

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Got my first dose last night at Rite-Aid. My wife's co worker has a sister that works there and she called saying they had about 70 doses available for whoever so we jammed over there. By the time we got there there was a line outside of about 8 people so we waited. My wife and I ended up being the last two they let in, telling everyone else we were getting the last 2 doses for the day. All of a sudden a chick in line speaks up saying she had an appt, the guy confirmed the appt and turned to us and said we had to choose between us who's going to get the last dose because he had to give 1 to the appt. My wife let me get it since I'm diabetic and she's a teacher so she would be getting the vaccine before I would anyways.

I feel bad because it took about 2 hours for all the waiting etc. and she literally missed it by 1. I think she was bummed, but she's somewhat hesitant about getting 1 just because of the unknowns. But she'll most likely have to get it since she teaches. Her friend told her she'll let her know when they have extras again so that's a good in, but hopefully she gets it soon.

I got home and pretty much immediately started feeling a bit drowsy. My arm is a little sore this morning, and I feel like I pounded a bottle of Nyquil, but I'm having a cup of coffee and everything is starting to feel normal again. Should be fine in an hour or so. Might have to get the wife some flowers or something for letting me get the last dose lol

Ex-wife is a USN contractor so got both of hers already. (Pfizer)

Shot #1 she just reported being a little tired for a couple days but #2 knocked her completely out of commision for about the same amount of time feeling quite ill. (All her symptoms cleared up rapidly after 48 hours or so)

I'm 57 and registration starts in CT for 55 and up tomorrow. (3/1/21) While I'm 100% getting vaccinated I'm hesitant about rushing to be first because round 1 is (supposedly) going to include the J&J version which I'd prefer to avoid despite it being more convenient.

Will report back.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
My sister got her 2nd shot 2 days ago and it about knocked her out. She said she felt like doodoo and felt chills, sore, and hurt to the bone. She took Tylenol but later alternated between Tylenol and Advil as she felt Tylenol wasn't really working. She said the pain was horrible. I made some beef short rib soup and took it to her so she could eat something warm and filling. I called her this morning and she's feeling much better today and able to function. It'll be interesting to see if I suffer the same reaction.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
A couple people have told me similar things after the 2nd shot. I got the flu twice last season so one mere day of feeling like crap in return for coronavirus immunity sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Just a quick update: Same lady working at Rite-Aid told us that they had about 70 doses to use up today or they'll have to be tossed so the pharmacist told her to contact my wife and come in. Wife got the shot earlier today and we were able to get my dad in (he's 63 and diabetic and wasn't able to get 1 anywhere else due to his age). The lady said she'll contact my wife about getting my step son and his gf in if they have any extra during the week.

As for me, I felt fine after about an hour after I got up. Arm is a little sore but otherwise, fine. Today was a good day in the strangebre household.