NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 549 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Alright, I've been feeling mostly the same since the morning but it seems that the virus is making its last gasps for survival in my body.

I've finally developed a mild cough reflex that I can't control. Nothing crippling or severe, but enough to happen every 8-20 minutes, 3 or so at a time. Started around 6:50pm but really started coming at the top of this 8pm hour. Just increased in frequency in the last couple minutes.

That means that I still have a bit of that weird COVID numbing pain killing. After I ate a pound of 27% ground beef, the usual satiation and "full and thick calm" I experience after eating such a food has not yet been felt yet.

Also, that pesky gum swelling infection is not done and I'm pretty sure I'll have to look for a dentist once this clears.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
More sensitivity to internal tissues and "normal pain" is present today.

I could feel muscle soreness in both my arms. I did some light duty lifting with a small UPS battery. Left front forearm was really feeling it.

There was an increase in the ability to taste the mouthwash in my mouth, the cold air, etc.

In my head internally, I could feel the twinge of pain in the right nose all the way through to the right ear.

I can focus on and hear more notes and background instruments when listening to some music as well.

Chest is still itchy and I'm coughing mildly but with enough frequency I'd this thing could have infected many if I were out and about thinking this was the flu or something.

People who report loss of the sense of taste or smell are merely experiencing a severe form of sense inhibition the virus causes. For me, now that I'm returning to normal senses of pain, it is clear that it neutralized a lot of pain, tingles, and other subtle things I feel normally. This is "deception of perception" and the resulting reporting of the symptoms would be recorded as "asymptomatic".

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well I've booked my first travel for the end of April since this thing started. Blew the dust off my airline login like it was some lost ancient portal to another world.

So strange.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Uh oh. Vaccines are running low and another wave is coming to Canada. Better watch out @Red Squirrel and company up North.

Lol yeah we are actually doing pretty terrible right now, vaccine rollout is a bust here and we just keep getting more cases. I'm not personally worried about getting it or my family getting it at this point as most of the cases are down south, but I also don't anticipate we are getting out of this any time soon. If I have to guess, we're going to be in this mode for pretty much all of 2021.

Funny thing is we bought the most vaccines per capita, but since we don't even make them here then we have to rely on other countries who are of course going to want to vaccinate their own first. We suck so much at being self reliant and keep relying on others, and this is what happens. We hardly even make anything here. Even PPE was a big issue for a while.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Well I've booked my first travel for the end of April since this thing started. Blew the dust off my airline login like it was some lost ancient portal to another world.

So strange.
I'm flying to Austin next month to meet you. ;). It will be my first air travel since December 2019. I can't believe it's been almost 1.5 years since I last flew. But I didn't want to fly until I got my vaccine shot. Can't wait to start traveling again.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm flying to Austin next month to meet you. ;). It will be my first air travel since December 2019. I can't believe it's been almost 1.5 years since I last flew. But I didn't want to fly until I got my vaccine shot. Can't wait to start traveling again.

Good thing it isn’t now. It’s like a Christmas production of Mad Max Fury Road around here.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Good thing it isn’t now. It’s like a Christmas production of Mad Max Fury Road around here.
I'm so glad I didn't go this month. I was thinking about it but my wife wanted us to wait until we got our vaccine shot. She said why risk it when there's no need? As usual, she's absolutely right.

Reactions: K1052

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

So strange.
We spent some time today booking a road trip in April to slightly warmer weather. We'll likely plan a domestic air trip in the summer and I'll probably start investigating an international trip for Dec. Hopefully that will be enough time for processes around vaccinated travel to solidify

Feels good that is a possibility again

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Another symptom shift. Cough severity and frequency went up today for me. I suppose the COVID morphine is wearing off in them lungs. The cough are dry and itchy.

By my count, I have coughed 244 times today, with the counting starting at midnight. I might hit 300 before I sleep or midnight, whichever comes first.

I probably also touched my face 0 times, such a turd statement by "intellectuals".....

If COVID were a tactician...I'd give it an A+.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I have cooked up two phrases based on the experience. "Miserably Painless" and "Euphoric annoyance"

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
heard on the radio this morning.. New York State is now allowing wedding receptions at 50% capacity providing:

-every attendee has proof of a neg covid test result, no more than 72 hrs prior to the event
- proof that you have rec'd the 2nd injection of the vaccine at least 14 days prior to the event will be allowed in lieu of the covid test.

- also mention if it been more than 90 days since the 2nd part of the vaccination, you will have to get covid tested again to attend

** What are they saying? Is the vaccination only effective for 90 days?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
heard on the radio this morning.. New York State is now allowing wedding receptions at 50% capacity providing:

-every attendee has proof of a neg covid test result, no more than 72 hrs prior to the event
- proof that you have rec'd the 2nd injection of the vaccine at least 14 days prior to the event will be allowed in lieu of the covid test.

- also mention if it been more than 90 days since the 2nd part of the vaccination, you will have to get covid tested again to attend

There is probably some uncertainty regarding how long the immunity lasts, if the virus still transfers after vaccination, whether the new strains can get around the vaccine.

In addition, there are going to be around 5 or so people who do not get the benefits of the vaccine. When the population is in the millions, that means there will be some unlucky ones who are unprotected by the vaccine.

I would seriously expect the virus to keep hopping around even with a vaccine with the new strains and uncertain length of immunity. The virus usually takes any optimistic news and flushes it down the toilet.

I was "mystery ill" in Nov. 2019 with rather some similar effects to to the first phase of my confirmed COVID-19 case this month. In my nearly 30 years of existence, such symptoms never occurred to me before. Flu and colds are straightforward in first causing noticeable pain to my nasal tissues first, which then makes me want to lay down. Not so with my two recent experiences with infection.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

So strange.
I already have a trip booked for Puerto Rico in August, but we're probably going somewhere in May as well. We haven't booked it yet but we are heavily leaning towards St. Thomas, which ironically is where I was in March of 2020 when shit hit the fan with covid here. One of the major reasons we're going there is because it's a US territory and therefore we won't have to worry about getting covid tests before leaving and coming back into the states, especially considering we'll be with our 5 year old and 9 month old. There is also a place right on the beach that looks fantastic which will be helpful with a young one. And being familiar with the island is also another reason we want to go there, again, being with a young one.

We were also heaving leaning towards Turks and Caicos again or Grand Cayman, but currently Southwest still isn't flying to either of those places and again, dealing with covid tests before the flight home is just one less thing we will have to deal with if we go to St. Thomas.

I'm taking my 2nd Pfizer shot next Tuesday but my wife doesn't have hers yet and doesn't want to get one while breast feeding, however she's not essential anyways so who knows if she will be able to get one in time.

We are also planning on Roatan in October and Aruba in November for my 40th birthday. All assuming there are no major setbacks with the rona.

Mar 11, 2004

Most of the vaccines require two doses to reach its full effectiveness. Its more of a safety protocol "oh you didn't get your 2nd dose, you might not actually be immune".

Which...I'm surprised that we haven't seen an influx of scam companies that people pay to get official looking COVID test results. Then again I guess the people looking for such fake credentials would just print them off (much like the ant-maskers and their "doctor's notes" that supposedly said they have a medical condition and can't wear a mask).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm taking my 2nd Pfizer shot next Tuesday but my wife doesn't have hers yet and doesn't want to get one while breast feeding, however she's not essential anyways so who knows if she will be able to get one in time.

Vaccines will probably be available on demand by May/June. My husband lucked into a shot at a medical campus when he was going in for an unrelated appointment. They told the doctors offices in the complex they had extras and to send anybody down to their clinic who wanted one.

Reactions: purbeast0

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004