NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 538 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think it's worse in rural communities these days because people spread it by ignoring the risk. Last Summer/Fall I knew of pool parties and baseball games and football parties. The numbers shot up.

Vaccines have short term side effects..... rarely long term ones. My wife took 2 doses of Pfizer, but didn't feel bad until the second dose...about 24 hours afterwards. The next morning, she felt fine.

She took the antibody test and passed it, so it appears to have worked. She still masks up and treats exposure risks as high.

Take the vaccine if you can. Any one is better than none.

Yeah the LTC homes got a shipment of vaccines not too long ago so I think they will start giving them out. Not sure when they'll be available to general public, last I heard it was by fall. There's one LTC home in my area that has been hit HARD but they are all getting hit hard. We jumped from a bit over 100 cases (total) to well over 200 in like the past month and it was mostly because of the LTC homes.

The roll out here is super slow so I'll actually be surprised if the general public gets vaccinated this year. I'm pretty much ready to take it as soon as I can at this point.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I think it's worse in rural communities these days because people spread it by ignoring the risk. Last Summer/Fall I knew of pool parties and baseball games and football parties. The numbers shot up.

Vaccines have short term side effects..... rarely long term ones. My wife took 2 doses of Pfizer, but didn't feel bad until the second dose...about 24 hours afterwards. The next morning, she felt fine.

She took the antibody test and passed it, so it appears to have worked. She still masks up and treats exposure risks as high.

Take the vaccine if you can. Any one is better than none.
Even PutinVac or SinoVac? :tearsofjoy:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Even PutinVac or SinoVac? :tearsofjoy:
My wife's office just got authorization to administer Moderna vaccines. I'm also utilizing my quarantine weight to classify myself as obese based on my BMI, which puts me in the next group to go maybe with Pfizer through the health dept 😁

I gained 25lbs in 2 years to get here, I can lose it in 12 weeks if I try and get back to running/shredding. It's just tough because I put in more effort working from home than in the office.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: K1052 and manly

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
CDC now estimates that only one in 5 cases were officially reported/counted from all of last year. With nearly five million Americans vaccinated in that same period it's possible that nearly a third of our population was already infected/immune by the time we peaked in January. Was expecting over 20 million vaccinated by that point but that obviously didn't happen. At that rate we would have nearly 80 million vaccinated already but obviously that didn't happen either. 100 million new doses (50 million new vaccinations) in the first 100 days is a lower bar than what we were expecting for the first month and a half so hopefully we can pull that off at least.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
CDC's now estimates that only one in 5 cases were officially reported/counted from all of last year. With nearly five million Americans vaccinated in that same period it's possible that nearly a third of our population was already infected/immune by the time we peaked in January. Was expecting over 20 million vaccinated by that point but that obviously didn't happen. At that rate we would have nearly 80 million vaccinated already but obviously that didn't happen either. 100 millions new doses (50 million new vaccinations) in the first 100 days is a lower bar than what we were expecting for the first month and a half so hopefully we can pull that off at least.

Looks like we're averaging about 1.3M doses a day so 100M doses in 100 days is pretty much in the bag. 3M doses a day would be ideal but unlikely we can hit that until J&J is shipping at scale.

Reactions: Zorba and CZroe

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Looks like we're averaging about 1.3M doses a day so 100M doses in 100 days is pretty much in the bag. 3M doses a day would be ideal but unlikely we can hit that until J&J is shipping at scale.
Yes. And distribution is being redesigned daily. I actually saw in the news that a local Walgreen's is going to be giving 20 doses a day and that they secured 400 doses. That may not seem significant, but the decentralized/low capacity model fixes the bottlenecks and accessibility for many.

I saw footage of the car lines that included motorhomes (people taking a shitter with them) because they knew they'd be waiting for hours. My father was able to get his first dose through the Veteran's Affairs office 2 weeks ago and I can't wait until he gets the second and my mother is eligible for her first dose. That will at least have a good portion of the high risk folks in my family covered.

I worry for myself....but certainly don't want my kids to get it either. I want them vaccinated as soon as trials are done and hope Moderna is approved for kids (because then my wife can get them taken care of through her office possibly). I don't want to see a whole generation of kids with severe chronic health problems over this if it can be avoided. Hopefully herd immunity will help deter that from happening, but you know how the virus spreads and how close-knit kids are in schools/sports/clubs... I could see this coming back around in 3-5 years if we don't keep at it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yes. And distribution is being redesigned daily. I actually saw in the news that a local Walgreen's is going to be giving 20 doses a day and that they secured 400 doses. That may not seem significant, but the decentralized/low capacity model fixes the bottlenecks and accessibility for many.

I saw footage of the car lines that included motorhomes (people taking a shitter with them) because they knew they'd be waiting for hours. My father was able to get his first dose through the Veteran's Affairs office 2 weeks ago and I can't wait until he gets the second and my mother is eligible for her first dose. That will at least have a good portion of the high risk folks in my family covered.

I worry for myself....but certainly don't want my kids to get it either. I want them vaccinated as soon as trials are done and hope Moderna is approved for kids (because then my wife can get them taken care of through her office possibly). I don't want to see a whole generation of kids with severe chronic health problems over this if it can be avoided. Hopefully herd immunity will help deter that from happening, but you know how the virus spreads and how close-knit kids are in schools/sports/clubs... I could see this coming back around in 3-5 years if we don't keep at it.

Yeah, a lot of people can't make it to centralized sites that could be farther away. Still it's hard to get those appointments especially in urban/suburban areas and the process is not older person friendly. Took 5 days of steady looking but today managed to find doses for my MIL who is a frontline worker. She's not able to sit in front of a computer for hours daily and methodically each a metro area on different sites for appointments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarpozzi

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
This story in Philly is something

‘’The investigation revealed that in December, just before Philly Fighting Covid began its vaccination work, it reorganized and became a for-profit company called Vax Populi.’’
When i first heard about that it seemed odd. Now i'm wondering if other cities/areas are also letting outside organizations take over vaccine rollout.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I am not crazy about the longer term (years down the road, not just a few months or a year) effect of the vaccines, especially to my future kid(s). Pick your poison and cross your fingers indeed.
What vaccines have real long term side effects, besides not dying of a preventable disease?

Taking Tylenol chronically can blow out your liver, but I doubt that stops many people from taking it. People pound energy drinks and supplements like candy even though they have basically zero regulation and definitely no proven benefits, but yeah, vaccines, the savior of billions of children, that's what we all need to be very cautious about. Meanwhile, let's go drink some Mexican liquor and get some big macs, because it's not like either of those have a 1 in a million shot of doing long term damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I really hope with the J&J vaccine they do mobile units to go hit hard to reach communities. Well off people, and people with access to computers can deal with 2 shots. Getting it out to the homeless and working poor in one shot would be huge.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My wife met and traded artwork with another artist at last February’s Tucson mineral show. We just found out that he died of COVID in December. He was an excellent artist and really nice guy.

• Wow

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What vaccines have real long term side effects, besides not dying of a preventable disease?

Taking Tylenol chronically can blow out your liver, but I doubt that stops many people from taking it. People pound energy drinks and sublimates like candy even though they have basically zero regulation and definitely no proven benefits, but yeah, vaccines, the savor of billions of children, that's what we all need to be very cautious about. Meanwhile, let's go drink some Mexican liquor and get some big macs, because it's not like either of those have a 1 in a million shot of doing long term damage.

Antivaxx propaganda has done real damage and it is ongoing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My wife met and traded artwork with another artist at last February’s Tucson mineral show. We just found out that he died of COVID in December. He was an excellent artist and really nice guy.

Sorry to hear that.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
My sister just dropped off a kroger bag containing english muffins. She said they all felt ill (her and her two children) and were going to get tested tomorrow. She left the bag on my outside doorknob and I brought it up and set it by my door and washed my hands twice. Can I dump the bag of muffins out tomorrow and eat them or should I wait a few days or just toss the whole thing?

Side note. I asked my mother 70+ years old with diabetes and had a heart attack a few years ago and my sister who is obese with several autoimmune diseases and HBP if they signed up to get the vaccine and they both said no. They thought that it might not be safe. Thanks facebook :mad:

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
My sister just dropped off a kroger bag containing english muffins. She said they all felt ill (her and her two children) and were going to get tested tomorrow. She left the bag on my outside doorknob and I brought it up and set it by my door and washed my hands twice. Can I dump the bag of muffins out tomorrow and eat them or should I wait a few days or just toss the whole thing?

Wat.

Might want to leave the bag outside if it's still there. Sunlight / UV Rays kill it good. I'd say it would be okay to eat eventually provided you toast it.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

Side note. I asked my mother 70+ years old with diabetes and had a heart attack a few years ago and my sister who is obese with several autoimmune diseases and HBP if they signed up to get the vaccine and they both said no. They thought that it might not be safe. Thanks facebook :mad:
English muffins are cheap enough....why risk it? Of course, I personally think the risk is low. The virus doesn't live outside of a host for more than a few hours (at most) unless conditions are perfect. When they were testing the cruise ships for covid, they were finding traces of it 17 days out, but probably not enough virus to actually infect an individual with it. The largest transmission risk comes from person to person contact in enclosed spaces.

Reactions: Captante and K1052

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Where do these people come from? I looked into becoming a pharmacist years ago. PharmD was 4 years on top of a bachelors degree. How can you be that well educated and nuts?!

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Wat.

Might want to leave the bag outside if it's still there. Sunlight / UV Rays kill it good. I'd say it would be okay to eat eventually provided you toast it.
Thanks. It's almost freezing out and cloudy so I can't really leave it outside. Also plenty of shady folks waking by all the time. I will be toasting the muffins so that's a good thing.

English muffins are cheap enough....why risk it? Of course, I personally think the risk is low. The virus doesn't live outside of a host for more than a few hours (at most) unless conditions are perfect. When they were testing the cruise ships for covid, they were finding traces of it 17 days out, but probably not enough virus to actually infect an individual with it. The largest transmission risk comes from person to person contact in enclosed spaces.
Thanks. Normally I would toss them but I eat pretty much the same thing everyday so they are a bit of a treat for me. Two days before she dropped off some fruit that I've already eaten. I was only around her for a few seconds getting a few bags out of the back of her vehicle so hopefully I wasn't exposed much since we were outside.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Where do these people come from? I looked into becoming a pharmacist years ago. PharmD was 4 years on top of a bachelors degree. How can you be that well educated and nuts?!
Probably playing it up to plead insanity.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z