NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 533 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The fact China covered up does not excuse our horrible response at all. Including our defunding of pandemic response long before the index patient.

It is possible for China fucked up and the US fucked up to both be true. At the end of the day. China really fucked up by continuing to have wet markets. The US fucked up by defunding science and surveillance then ignoring science.

Yep, no doubt. Our numbers reflect our own decisions, not anyone else's.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Almost a third of recovered Covid patients return to hospital in five months and one in eight die:

Well that's rough:

Out of 47,780 people who were discharged from hospital in the first wave, 29.4 per cent were readmitted to hospital within 140 days, and 12.3 per cent of the total died.

Edit: Separate discussion thread here:

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
So my friend just got COVID. She woke up with a sore throat, went & got tested as a precautionary measure, came home, had dinner, and 45 minutes later couldn't smell or taste anything. Said it was like a lightswitch. They called her 15 minutes later to confirm that she was positive. Crazy :oops:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
My antibody test came back negative. I'm not sure if if should be happy or disappointed about that.

I think China probably missed an opportunity to contain it in the beginning.
I saw a small part of an interview the other day where some Chinese official was still insisting the virus didn't come from China.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well in positive news I made vaccination appointments today for my dad and stepmom in AZ (after much struggle). They're the last of my vulnerable immediate family members to need inoculations. Virus is going nuts down there and with the more infectious strains likely growing into dominance in the next 4-5 weeks its going to be a load off my mind.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Pfizer unleashed us trial people to get the vaccine, I get injected Friday. Too bad it won't be in effect before my IN PERSON jury duty next week.

Reactions: K1052

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I saw a small part of an interview the other day where some Chinese official was still insisting the virus didn't come from China.
Yeah, China, like most autocratic countries, slings their fair share of conspiracy theories.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Well in positive news I made vaccination appointments today for my dad and stepmom in AZ (after much struggle). They're the last of my vulnerable immediate family members to need inoculations. Virus is going nuts down there and with the more infectious strains likely growing into dominance in the next 4-5 weeks its going to be a load off my mind.
My mom gets her second dose next week. I also got an appointment for my FIL, but he had a work appointment and didn't go :mad:.

Now they've changed the system here where it is much harder for someone else to get an appointment for you. So it'll probably be months before he gets a shot now. He is he risk and taking very few precautions, I'm really shocked he hasn't gotten it yet, but let's hope his luck doesn't run out.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Almost a third of recovered Covid patients return to hospital in five months and one in eight die:

Most people that get COVID-19 recover without ever being hospitalized. People that reach the point of requiring hospitalization are a smaller subset of the general population. This is expected when you are selecting stats from a group of people who are generally weaker than the majority.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Pfizer unleashed us trial people to get the vaccine, I get injected Friday. Too bad it won't be in effect before my IN PERSON jury duty next week.
Did they give everyone the real shot, or us those otherwise eligible?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

There was talk of them giving the vaccine to all who got the placebo, months earlier than expected. Probably because they have so much in storage they don't know what to do with it.

The rumor also said they were going to give it to all employees of Pfizer, regardless of situation.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Japanese government is saying they have 3 people in Japan with the UK variant but those folks never been to UK. Must be from someone else..contact tracing is needed.

Malaysia has over 3,000 new cases with four digit daily increase.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My mom gets her second dose next week. I also got an appointment for my FIL, but he had a work appointment and didn't go :mad:.

Now they've changed the system here where it is much harder for someone else to get an appointment for you. So it'll probably be months before he gets a shot now. He is he risk and taking very few precautions, I'm really shocked he hasn't gotten it yet, but let's hope his luck doesn't run out.

Yikes.

Fortunately everyone on my end is very much eager to get all their doses. My dad/stepmom are driving to 2 hours to Phoenix to get their shots, was able to schedule them for the same time thankfully.

Reactions: Zorba

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Most people that get COVID-19 recover without ever being hospitalized. People that reach the point of requiring hospitalization are a smaller subset of the general population. This is expected when you are selecting stats from a group of people who are generally weaker than the majority.

I also wonder how many things they attribute to COVID that is really a pre-existing condition or natural life issues, as opposed to being direct results of COVID...

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011

Half the people in phase 3 trials received a saline injection instead. They are now giving those people the real shot.

There was talk of them giving the vaccine to all who got the placebo, months earlier than expected. Probably because they have so much in storage they don't know what to do with it.

The rumor also said they were going to give it to all employees of Pfizer, regardless of situation.

No, not exactly. Most of the trial participants were in the healthcare or first responder industries so they are already eligible to get the vaccine. There are not many people left in the placebo group and a lot of them fit into the gov definition of essential workers like me. The reasons for withholding it from those participants are not really valid anymore.

Pfizer/BioNTech employees should have been the first ones to receive it, not publicly but defiantly first. It wouldn't be very good if vaccine production was slowed or halted due to a COVID outbreak within their ranks.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Well, I found out Washington state has a website where you can find out if you're currently eligible for the vaccine (I knew I wouldn't be), but they also have the option to text/email when it's your turn, so I can probably just wait a while now.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
140326369_4984272481644747_670992062466261833_n.jpg

:eek:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Half the people in phase 3 trials received a saline injection instead. They are now giving those people the real shot.

I don't I phrased that clearly. I meant are they letting everyone that got the placebo get the real shot right now, or only those people that could go get a real outside of the program (i.e. phase 1B but not phase 3). Edit, I should've read your whole post before I responded.

In other news, my wife just signed up for the Novavax trial. I was going to do it, but decided it was better for me to keep donating platelets.