NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 529 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That's why I called it a rumour, not sure if it's true or not, and can't really find much info. Though if power happens to go out at night and there's a curfew then yeah, it probably won't be fixed until next day.

In my area, curfew doesnt apply to essential workers. It's mostly a deterrent to social stuff like bars, restaurants, etc...I know the power company is considered essential also, so they would be out working on it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
In my area, curfew doesnt apply to essential workers. It's mostly a deterrent to social stuff like bars, restaurants, etc...I know the power company is considered essential also, so they would be out working on it.
The workers are essential because the service is essential which is why they won't be cutting either. ;)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah can't find anything about this rumour so it's probably not based on any truth. I imagine linemen who are on call bring their bucket truck home so they should still be able to respond to an outage if something happens.

If the curfew is between 8pm and 5am like they state I should be ok as well since our shift change is at 7am and 7pm. I assume if cops see personal vehicles parked at an essential business they will leave em alone, hopefully.

Going to be an issue for other shift workers like mines though, their shift change is later at night I think. That means a bunch of personal vehicles on the highway at night.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah can't find anything about this rumour so it's probably not based on any truth. I imagine linemen who are on call bring their bucket truck home so they should still be able to respond to an outage if something happens.

If the curfew is between 8pm and 5am like they state I should be ok as well since our shift change is at 7am and 7pm. I assume if cops see personal vehicles parked at an essential business they will leave em alone, hopefully.

Going to be an issue for other shift workers like mines though, their shift change is later at night I think. That means a bunch of personal vehicles on the highway at night.

What's the plan look like? There's many jobs considered essential in my area. So it's basically just don't go to the mall, bars, restaurants, etc... But if I get called out at 3am for work....nobody is gonna harass me about it.

Are mines deemed essential? If not, then they're not going to work, right?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What's the plan look like? There's many jobs considered essential in my area. So it's basically just don't go to the mall, bars, restaurants, etc... But if I get called out at 3am for work....nobody is gonna harass me about it.

Are mines deemed essential? If not, then they're not going to work, right?

The issue is if you are in a personal vehicle heading to/from work they won't know who you work for. Unless they can look that up by running plate before they pull you over? Maybe that's what they'll do.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The issue is if you are in a personal vehicle heading to/from work they won't know who you work for. Unless they can look that up by running plate before they pull you over? Maybe that's what they'll do.

Don't know. My employer and some customers issued government approved letters I had to print out and keep in my car. That's supposedly going to stop LEO's from detaining me for curfew or lockdown violations. Have had to test it out yet lol

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If you can afford a car and you're not breaking other laws (speeding), your chances of getting busted for a curfew violation are about zero. Curfews are for poor people.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Looks like they changed their mind on the curfew for Ontario, but there are some more lockdown policies coming.

The writing is pretty much on the wall though, the cases down south are going up fast.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Saw a front page headline in the local paper that people age 65+ and their caretakers could get the vaccine today at the county fair grounds. Bought the paper and it didn't say anything about appointments or anything but it seems the article was from the weekend edition and a lot has changed since then. Now they require appointment and there is no way to get one. The article did hint that they might have more available Thursday so I signed up for text alerts.

It seems the vaccination site is the place I was getting tested months ago and that may explain why I can't get tested there anymore. My brother, mother, and I did get a test this morning after my brother's known exposure event more than a week ago. We were first in line at a place that seemed like it was their first day giving the test, which may be since it was the only/earliest appointments available when we checked last week.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Saw a newspaper headline in the local paper that people age 65+ and their caretakers could get the vaccine today at the county fair grounds. Bought the paper and it didn't say anything about appointments or anything but it seems the article was from the weekend edition and a lot has changed since then. Now they require appointment and there is no way to get one. The article did hint that they might have more available Thursday so I signed up for text alerts.

It seems the vaccination site is the place I was getting tested months ago and that may explain why I can't get tested there anymore. My brother, mother, and I did get a test this morning after my brother's known exposure event more than a week ago. We were first in line at a place that seemed like it was their first day giving the test, which may be since it was the only/earliest appointments available when we checked lat week.

Quite a few states are converting testing sites to vaccination sites, finally.

Reactions: CZroe

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Perhaps the CDC's estimate considers that antibodies can drop to near-undetectable levels in a matter of months and older immunity may not show in serological surveys. While obviously not verified as fact, I assume the CDC would have a particularly well-informed estimate, and it's hard to find a more authoritative estimate when this sort of thing is literally their job. If we are going to speculate about such things it seems a pretty good place to start from.

Regardless of how accurate 7.2 is, testing sites shutting down for the holidays and people skipping testing to travel and be with family are a recipe for increasing the disparity between confirmed cases and actual cases. The resulting wave of infections using up available testing resources so that people can no longer take advantage of free public testing will push the disparity even further.
Although this is by all indications a "well-informed" estimate, it's also the only basis for your strong assertions that roughly half of Americans have already been infected by SARS-CoV-2. How can you suggest the accuracy of the ratio doesn't matter? 7.2 is very different from 4x (which is basically what Dr. Gottlieb asserted in his recent interview). Zorba stated that in his state of OK, the ratio found in antibodies testing has consistently hovered around 2x for some time.

As of late November, about 1 in 3 Stockholmers had antibodies and they literally had no formal controls until late fall? I'm guessing they're still under 50% by now.

Again, if 1M Stockholmers haven't "achieved" herd immunity, I find it extremely hard to believe America's 330M are getting somewhat close without acceleration of vaccinations. If the 7.2x multiple also applies to L.A. County, then about 65% of my county's residents have already been infected! In theory, the daily confirmed cases should be plummeting soon?

It's ironic that you're now saying testing is diminished, when you said over 6 months ago that American testing capacity is world-leading and IIRC you proudly stated in May? that if a person needs a test in Georgia, it's available. There was a natural holidays drop-off but the 7 day MA has been about 1.6M daily tests for a couple months now:

Look all I'm saying is "we don't know what we don't know." I'd want more than one CDC estimate to conclude half of Americans have likely already contracted the virus, and dismiss a multitude of serological surveys that have been reported on. Note one thing I pointed out a month ago about that CDC page is they model asymptomatic cases at 15%, much lower than most other estimates. If we adjust asymptomatic cases to 1 in 3, does that boost the estimated ratio of total to confirmed cases even higher? To 9x or 10x?

Reactions: pmv

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I don't believe we are missing anywhere near the number of cases as we were even six months ago. That huge supposedly undetected number is just another tool people are using to claim herd immunity is near and this thing is almost over without more lockdowns or vaccines. It was probably true in April but now not so much.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I don't believe we are missing anywhere near the number of cases as we were even six months ago. That huge supposedly undetected number is just another tool people are using to claim herd immunity is near and this thing is almost over without more lockdowns or vaccines. It was probably true in April but now not so much.

Karens gonna Karen!

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
got my vaccine shot modena one 5 days ago, didnt even feel it or have any side effects, my friend on the other hand took it and she said she had chills fever dizzy etc. i wonder how longthis vaccine even works for 90 days? heh

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

This is just sad to me especially since my wife's grandmother just died after testing positive for COVID-19 in a care facility. She was 96 and as lovely a lady as you will ever meet. It's possible it was unrelated to COVID as she never showed respiratory distress but she was in good health for her age and the timing is pretty coincidental.

Feb 4, 2009

This is just sad to me especially since my wife's grandmother just died after testing positive for COVID-19 in a care facility. She was 96 and as lovely a lady as you will ever meet. It's possible it was unrelated to COVID as she never showed respiratory distress but she was in good health for her age and the timing is pretty coincidental.

Perfectly legal in many States for employers to ask for vaccination records & make that a job requirement.

Reactions: Zorba

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Although this is by all indications a "well-informed" estimate, it's also the only basis for your strong assertions that roughly half of Americans have already been infected by SARS-CoV-2. How can you suggest the accuracy of the ratio doesn't matter? 7.2 is very different from 4x (which is basically what Dr. Gottlieb asserted in his recent interview). Zorba stated that in his state of OK, the ratio found in antibodies testing has consistently hovered around 2x for some time.

As of late November, about 1 in 3 Stockholmers had antibodies and they literally had no formal controls until late fall? I'm guessing they're still under 50% by now.

Again, if 1M Stockholmers haven't "achieved" herd immunity, I find it extremely hard to believe America's 330M are getting somewhat close without acceleration of vaccinations. If the 7.2x multiple also applies to L.A. County, then about 65% of my county's residents have already been infected! In theory, the daily confirmed cases should be plummeting soon?

It's ironic that you're now saying testing is diminished, when you said over 6 months ago that American testing capacity is world-leading and IIRC you proudly stated in May? that if a person needs a test in Georgia, it's available. There was a natural holidays drop-off but the 7 day MA has been about 1.6M daily tests for a couple months now:

Look all I'm saying is "we don't know what we don't know." I'd want more than one CDC estimate to conclude half of Americans have likely already contracted the virus, and dismiss a multitude of serological surveys that have been reported on. Note one thing I pointed out a month ago about that CDC page is they model asymptomatic cases at 15%, much lower than most other estimates. If we adjust asymptomatic cases to 1 in 3, does that boost the estimated ratio of total to confirmed cases even higher? To 9x or 10x?
Antibody tests aren't even a good indicator. Someone who had the disease in March still has lingering immunity, but would not register antibodies in a test. Typically the antibodies disappear or diminish to undetectable levels, but the body should retain the ability to produce them again and ramp-up quickly if your immune system sees a similar virus again.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Government wants to not hold on to 2nd doses now and adjust eligibility to 65+ and anyone over 16 with conditions. CDC expected to announce today.

Bourla was on CNBC and upped Pfizer's production to 2B doses for 2021. Says production expansion proceeding over previous expectations and material supplies are in line.

Reactions: Captante