NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 525 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
LA County has started limiting both oxygen and transportation of cardiac arrest patients to hospitals. If EMTs can't start the heart at the scene, and there's low probability of survival, then they can call it at scene. This is nuts and sad.

Here's an entire icu running out of oxygen....

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Stalling eh? Wondering why there was a delay to let experts in to investigate the root cause(s) as promised...

Yeah, China was obviously completely full of shit the whole time. I believed the numbers, until we starting seeing similar numbers here and then contrasted what was going on here vs there. They were filling up expo centers with positive people, had people on IVs sitting on the side walks, barricading apartment complexes, etc. No way the real numbers were anywhere as low as they claimed.

I don't think they created it or anything crazy, but they definitely lied about the real situation. Meanwhile, we had people dying here for unexplained reasons and no one asked why.

Reactions: Captante

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Yeah, China was obviously completely full of shit the whole time. I believed the numbers, until we starting seeing similar numbers here and then contrasted what was going on here vs there. They were filling up expo centers with positive people, had people on IVs sitting on the side walks, barricading apartment complexes, etc. No way the real numbers were anywhere as low as they claimed.

I don't think they created it or anything crazy, but they definitely lied about the real situation. Meanwhile, we had people dying here for unexplained reasons and no one asked why.
What is more scary for ccp is what if they discover that it's not originated from animals

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
136996668_10158943347683501_7070669886433742967_n.jpg

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I was planning on getting an antibody test later this week or next. I was near someone who ended up testing positive. I didn't know he had Covid till almost a week and a half later. I felt like i had a head cold for a few days which are the same symptoms others that tested positive had.

Just found out my parents tested positive & i was there over the weekend. We're taking turns looking in on them. So i'm going to try & get a Covid test tomorrow. If that comes up negative i'll get the antibody test next week probably.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I was planning on getting an antibody test later this week or next. I was near someone who ended up testing positive. I didn't know he had Covid till almost a week and a half later. I felt like i had a head cold for a few days which are the same symptoms others that tested positive had.

Just found out my parents tested positive & i was there over the weekend. We're taking turns looking in on them. So i'm going to try & get a Covid test tomorrow. If that comes up negative i'll get the antibody test next week probably.
Heads up: You can get the antibody test for free by giving blood. Wish I could've gotten it back when I would have had more detectable antibodies assuming I had it back in March.

Also, Ichinisan found out that he had TWO exposure events on Sunday. In addition to the person he ran into at the flea market who had it, knew he had it, and came in anyway, my bro went to help our landlord out at his Thai restaurant. Turns out they had a new cook who started that day who tested positive the next day. Don't know if she was infectious yet because she was asymptomatic and got tested when her husband showed symptoms. Still, they closed the place down and told everyone to get tested including my brother.

Strangely, Georgia's free testing is suddenly showing no available slots as far into the future as it will let you look (next week) for our closest testing sites. Almost seems glitched since I was able to schedule a test sooner than I could drive there back in November, but I picked a site much farther away and finally found appointments available... a week from now. That tells me that there are no appointments at the others because they are suddenly all booked.

I said it Sunday and I'll say it again: COVID is everywhere right now. I also feel that the vaccine is too little, too late, since we'll hit herd immunity naturally before it can make a dent at this rate. Heck, Ichinisan probably had it in February when he flew back from Thailand and I probably had it in March when I had to stay out of work for a week so if we test negative that's probably why.

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Heads up: You can get the anitbody test for free by giving blood.
I'll have to check & see if they're still doing that. It's been advertised here but they said only thru the end of December. I did ask how much it was if insurance didn't cover it & the lab told me $55.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Apparently if you give blood here they do antibody test too but for whatever reason they don't disclose the results. I'd be curious to know myself if I got it about a year ago at work when we all got sick at same time, though they don't have blood clinics here anymore so guess that is moot. Closest one is in Sudbury which is kinda a hot spot, so I would be wise not to go anyway. I was kinda bummed when they stopped the clinics here though, I was somewhat regular at donating and it was always busy so it's really odd they would give up all those donations.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'll have to check & see if they're still doing that. It's been advertised here but they said only thru the end of December. I did ask how much it was if insurance didn't cover it & the lab told me $55.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
If the CDC estimates that only one in 7.2 infections are reported in the USA since February and we have 21 million reported cases then they are essentially saying that we will be cruising past 50% immunity before the vaccine had the chance to make a dent (US population is only 328 million). While that's not enough for herd immunity it will certainly slow things down soon. Not the way I would've preferred, considering we already have the vaccine. :( More realistically, there are probably enough active cases right now that it ain't really slowing down until these morons finish infecting a good bit of the remaining 50%.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
If the CDC estimates that only one in 7.2 infections are reported in the USA since February and we have 21 million reported cases then they are essentially saying that we will be cruising past 50% immunity before the vaccine had the chance to make a dent (US population is only 328 million). While that's not enough for herd immunity it will certainly slow things down soon. Not the way I would've preferred, considering we already have the vaccine. :( More realistically, there are probably enough active cases right now that it ain't really slowing down until these morons finish infecting a good bit of the remaining 50%.
IF that is true, then the actual death rate for COVID is very low.

Reactions: CZroe
Nov 8, 2012

I gotta wonder how many past pandemics are like this where a large percentage are just already immune.

Everyone always fears some kind of huge pandemic that nearly wipes out the human population - but how many diseases in the past have just had a large pop that wasn't subject to the virus?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Heads up: You can get the antibody test for free by giving blood. Wish I could've gotten it back when I would have had more detectable antibodies assuming I had it back in March.

Also, Ichinisan found out that he had TWO exposure events on Sunday. In addition to the person he ran into at the flea market who had it, knew he had it, and came in anyway, my bro went to help our landlord out at his Thai restaurant. Turns out they had a new cook who started that day who tested positive the next day. Don't know if she was infectious yet because she was asymptomatic and got tested when her husband showed symptoms. Still, they closed the place down and told everyone to get tested including my brother.

Strangely, Georgia's free testing is suddenly showing no available slots as far into the future as it will let you look (next week) for our closest testing sites. Almost seems glitched since I was able to schedule a test sooner than I could drive there back in November, but I picked a site much farther away and finally found appointments available... a week from now. That tells me that there are no appointments at the others because they are suddenly all booked.

I said it Sunday and I'll say it again: COVID is everywhere right now. I also feel that the vaccine is too little, too late, since we'll hit herd immunity naturally before it can make a dent at this rate. Heck, Ichinisan probably had it in February when he flew back from Thailand and I probably had it in March when I had to stay out of work for a week so if we test negative that's probably why.

As I've posted previously I'm pretty sure I had it in Feb myself. :(

Reactions: CZroe

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Looks like the lockdown here in Ontario is going to go for an extra 2 weeks. That means schools are doing remote learning and small businesses stay closed. I don't even know what the other rules are anymore since it keeps changing. If I get arrested for something I'll just deal with it lol.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Looks like the lockdown here in Ontario is going to go for an extra 2 weeks. That means schools are doing remote learning and small businesses stay closed. I don't even know what the other rules are anymore since it keeps changing. If I get arrested for something I'll just deal with it lol.
As cold as it is, should you not be glad for the time at home?

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
IF that is true, then the actual death rate for COVID is very low.
IF being the key word here. CZroe said weeks ago that he expected herd immunity (via infections & vaccinations) to come sooner rather than later, and so far there is no let-up in the pace of infections in the U.S. (and other countries around the world). I didn't study the CDC model on how many infections have already occurred, but I stated my doubts then:
  1. Testing has scaled up massively since the early days. It's highly dubious to think that testing missed 86% of infections last April, and continues to miss 86% of cases now.
  2. Every serology survey I've seen on places believed to have the highest rate of infections (i.e. Stockholm and Brazil) has turned up percentages much lower than the ~70% that experts estimate are needed for herd immunity. If the 1M residents of Stockholm aren't close to 70%, there's no way in hell that 330M Americans are either.
I'm not ruling out that as vaccinations pick up significant pace, then new infections will quickly taper off before the end of winter. But right now there's no concrete evidence to believe this is already occurring.

As far as the infection fatality rate, reasonable estimates I've seen are in the 0.5% range or approx. 5 times as deadly as seasonal flu. You can decide for yourself if that rate is very low (certainly it is compared to MERS or Ebola), or if the 3rd leading cause of death in the U.S. for 2020 is overblown as many maintain to this day.

Reactions: Zorba