NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 523 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
^^^^yeah, I think I heard Walmart, CVS, Walgreens and somewhere else that I forgot can have the ability to vaccinate something like 100k per day but realistically it’s like 40 or 50k per day. Still crazy numbers.
This is an example where business is better than Gov. Less bickering and better logistics, unless the Army gets involved.

Feb 4, 2009
Related and I’m sure there is a good reason.

With hospitals getting to capacity, wouldn’t a smarter plan be vaccinate as many as possible with one dose?I know one dose doesn’t provide long term immunity however it does provide short term hospitalization immunity. I get that it would suck to get vaccinated once now and then two more times 3-6 months from now but wouldn’t covering twice the people for half the time be a smart trade off as of now?

Edit:
Saw a reason why not to do it.
a) getting the vaccine in arms is the bottle neck currently
b) one dose coverage wasn’t studied much, it is possible immunity could only last days/weeks
c) nightmare scenario from above is one dose now, the second dose months from now could reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine, basically training your body to have a reduced response on the third dosing.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
My local Walmart Supercenter had a major expansion in the middle of the pandemic with some new "Walmart Health" urgent care clinic, so they aren't just a pharmacy anymore.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Medical related stuff like doctor offices, clinics etc tend to have the weirdest hours. 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:00 is typical and they definitely won't work on or even near holidays. You would think they could extend that given the situation.

Maybe Walmart should have vaccine clinics lol. Seriously though... they do have the supply chain and logistics capability for something like that and are open more hours.
Yeah, IMHO, doctor's offices need to stay out of this until it is just another routine vaccine like MMR or Flu.

This should be handled as a massive, centralized project. Not 100,000 little logistical nightmares.

Reactions: Captante

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
My presumption was that state national guard units with relevant expertise might be staffing central mass vaccination sites for the state/local health departments, paid for by the feds. I mean you just need a huge ass parking lot or maybe a convention center in cold climates and you should be able to run 10s of thousands through a site per day once it's up and running.

Exactly, the failure here is just dumbfounding.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
School gyms could be a good place as I don't think schools are doing gym class are they? So they sit empty all day I would imagine.

I was thinking arenas too as they are nice large open areas but I think there is still some limited hockey going on, so it means the ice would be in place.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
School gyms would be a good idea for rural areas like mine. Fair amount of parking too. Figure some way so there isn't a long line of people waiting to get in or waiting inside all at the same time. Space things out as needed.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I don't think schools and gyms are going to have the kind of freezers required and carrying them to and from someplace that does also presents logistical challenges and risks. The places that already have those kinds of things are often hospitals and medical research labs.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
School gyms would be a good idea for rural areas like mine. Fair amount of parking too. Figure some way so there isn't a long line of people waiting to get in or waiting inside all at the same time. Space things out as needed.

They already figured this out here for COVID testing. You sign up online and only x number of people show up in a window for their appointments so you don't get a ginormous line.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don't think schools and gyms are going to have the kind of freezers required and carrying then to and from someplace that does also presents logistical challenges and risks. The places that already have those kinds of things are often hospitals and medical research labs.

The vaccine has to be thawed prior to use anyway so I don't actually think this is a big challenge if you in fact know you're going to vaccinate a certain number of people at a site. A lack of willing arms amongst the general public is not likely to be a problem for a while.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Romney is calling the vaccine rollout a mess by the feds:

Mitt Romney slams vaccine distribution roll out: 'As incomprehensible as it is inexcusable'

"That comprehensive vaccination plans have not been developed at the federal level and sent to the states as models is as incomprehensible as it is inexcusable," Romney, who represents Utah, said in a statement Friday.

If only someone with clout, say a US Senator, could do something about this.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I don't know that officials are considering this in the USA.

Also, the "data" is right there in the original trial:
Not one single case required hospitalization after the first dose and a significant amount had immunity. That's what they are basing this on.

It would be no different for you since the issue is not supply. As part of Phase 1 you would skip the line... just like vulnerable people out for early voting in Georgia yesterday. People like my mother didn't have to wait in the queue (age).
Ugh, 16 straight days of migraines and I just can't seem to follow conversations anymore. Sorry.

Reactions: Captante and CZroe

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Romney is calling the vaccine rollout a mess by the feds:

Mitt Romney slams vaccine distribution roll out: 'As incomprehensible as it is inexcusable'

"That comprehensive vaccination plans have not been developed at the federal level and sent to the states as models is as incomprehensible as it is inexcusable," Romney, who represents Utah, said in a statement Friday.

This isn't true. The CDC did develop one. Of course their plan seems intentional in slowing things down.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Whelp.. friend we visited that had been seriously isolating tested positive during our visit. We will get tested in 5 days.

• Wow

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Dammit. Ichinisan just had known exposure to a West Georgia Flea Market vendor who has it and went to the market anyway to look after his booth/stuff. There's a reason I chose not to go today despite having the day off after years of going any day I wasn't scheduled at work (couple times a month since they are weekends only).

Same dude was there yesterday where Ichi stopped by and played all the way through Super Mario Bros. on a clone Nintendo. Vendor had no mask, as usual. Dude's a Bernie Bro so he's not some ignorant conservative or whatever else you might assume about a maskless GA vendor.

...but today was different. Dude had on layers of masks and was telling people that his medicine "smelled like piss" yesterday but today he "can't smell it at all." Dude knows he has it and came out to the market anyway. Even talked to Ichinisan about vitamin D. Our mother is 75 years old and needs daily help with things like managing the dog's injections (diabetes).

Interestingly, the vendor's cough sounded productive and not "dry."

• Wow

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I don't think schools and gyms are going to have the kind of freezers required and carrying them to and from someplace that does also presents logistical challenges and risks. The places that already have those kinds of things are often hospitals and medical research labs.
The vaccine has to be thawed prior to use anyway so I don't actually think this is a big challenge if you in fact know you're going to vaccinate a certain number of people at a site. A lack of willing arms amongst the general public is not likely to be a problem for a while.
They're vaccinating hospital staff(i assume) at the hospital(i assume), but i doubt they're moving the elderly from the nursing homes to the hospital.
It is hard to get accurate info around here on what exactly is going on. Read an article the other day that 1500 people in the county have been vaccinated so far & they're saying some of those are nursing home residents. So i am making some assumptions here.
They've sent vaccines to the 2 largest hospitals in the county so far. I doubt that those will end up being the only 2 distributions points for a county of around 80K.
I'm wondering if the local pharmacies will get the freezers needed on a temporary basis from the home offices for them to be able to distribute eventually. Again, assuming they don't have those on hand.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Whelp.. friend we visited that had been seriously isolating tested positive during our visit. We will get tested in 5 days.
Dammit. Ichinisan just had known exposure to a West Georgia Flea Market vendor who has it and went to the market anyway to look after his booth/stuff.
Here's hoping for negative results to herm & ichi.

Be safe everyone!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Last edited: