NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 521 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Fine eliminate the prioritization and vaccinate everybody willing by age groups. For a lot of reasons it is clear we are not capable of an ideal roll out so lets not try because its wasting time and lives. If vaccine stock starts to pile up then move down to the next age group. Repeat until every who wants it gets it. Anybody sitting on doses not sticking needles in arms gets those doses moved to sites that are.

Complete roll-out should have been defined BEFORE Day 1.

Not this bullshit of "priorities". Have ALL the priorities, then the next priorities, then the next, then the next.... before finally having a release to general public. This isn't difficult.

Instead we just have "Well, these are the priorities". What happens if we have some leftover?! /shrug, I dunno!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Again, their Wednesday statement used BOTH words...
f7fbbdb853f231baa260dcf44a028fd5.jpg

I can intentionally remove something to access something else and then inadvertently spoil it by leaving it out. Intent does not mean nefarious intent and non-nefarious intent is the only thing that makes sense given their Wednesday statement.

jesus fucking christ. They wouldn't report it that way if you are trying to argue "I intentionally tried to get to the milk!"

Intent to remove specific item is not transferrable to intent to access secondary item, hence intent to remove all items is just innocent!

This is silly. Stop it.

Reactions: stargazr and Zorba

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Oh I thought it was done maliciously, that's what it sounded like.

They are now saying it was but the statement you were reacting to before stopped short of that.

Perhaps this will clarify things for you:

"Police in Wisconsin said on Thursday evening that they had arrested a hospital employee who was fired after being suspected of intentionally spoiling hundreds of doses of the Covid-19 vaccine."

"...after a health center in the state said an employee admitted to deliberately spoiling 500 doses of the coronavirus vaccine."

On Wednesday Aurora medical center said the doses appeared to have been spoiled deliberately.

"A pharmacist at the suburban medical center deliberately removed hundreds of coronavirus vaccine doses from refrigeration and left them out overnight – twice, not just once as officials had initially believed, the health system’s chief medical officer said later on Thursday."

"“This was a situation involving a bad actor, as opposed to a bad process,”

Thanks, but K1052 cleared that up for me hours ago with his last post that I reacted to immediately with a thumbs up.

jesus fucking christ. They wouldn't report it that way if you are trying to argue "I intentionally tried to get to the milk!"

Intent to remove specific item is not transferrable to intent to access secondary item, hence intent to remove all items is just innocent!

This is silly. Stop it.
What was silly was taking what WASN'T said and running with it to conclude and infer other things. I had no issue with speculation about nefarious motives or intent. I took issue with presuming our speculation was true before they had even made the claims. It's responsible to make that distinction.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I feel like there are enough stupid people scared of vaccines that the military will help achieve herd immunity by at least stopping spread within the tight quarters they work.
Also WTF with a 50% rejection rate among health professionals, how is the United States this stupid.
Haven't you heard? The vaccine causes sterility. That's the latest around the water cooler at work :rolleyes:
Jesus i work with some idiots.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Haven't you heard? The vaccine causes sterility. That's the latest around the water cooler at work:rolleyes:
Yeah, no way that wasn't identified in the last year of trials with 10s of thousands of people, but has been found in the last two weeks...

Again, people are morons. People should be forced to watch videos of people dying of smallpox and polio.

But seriously, why the fuck are people so scared of terriorism they willing let some minimum wage flunky feel them up to get on a plane, but with a disease its like "It'll never happen to me! Everyone that died was weak, old, different, or god's intent."

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Haven't you heard? The vaccine causes sterility. That's the latest around the water cooler at work :rolleyes:
Covid can cause sterility when you think about it.

I'm actually worried about what percentage of the population has lingering issues. Especially younger patients that end up with chronic health problems and organ damage. I'm hopeful those numbers will be sparse.

Reactions: Zorba

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The last time you posted ITT you were responding to a report about a case in the US. It was likely in the US before it was discovered in the UK. It may not even be from the UK since they only found it with their superior visibility through random genomic testing. There's even the possibility that it is from the USA.

It should be very easy to tell how far back the samples diverged in ancestry.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Covid can cause sterility when you think about it.

I'm actually worried about what percentage of the population has lingering issues. Especially younger patients that end up with chronic health problems and organ damage. I'm hopeful those numbers will be sparse.

Many of the same people I hear express non-specific, borderline conspiratorial, concerns about vaccine safety are almost totally blasé about the possibility of undetected organ damage from coronavirus that could cause long term health issues years or decades down the line.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Many of the same people I hear express non-specific, borderline conspiratorial, concerns about vaccine safety are almost totally blasé about the possibility of undetected organ damage from coronavirus that could cause long term health issues years or decades down the line.

It's ignorance. Many people still don't believe that this virus is that bad.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

Sounds like the UK wants to give single-doses to more people then give everyone their second doses months later. Sounds like a solid plan since a single dose results in significant-enough immunity/resistance and much-improved clinical outcomes if you get it anyway.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Israel has vaccinated 11% of its population. Weird how deciding something is important to get done and the government actually doing it can produce tangible results.

Reactions: Zorba and Ajay

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So .... free vasectomy ?!? :D

Hey now. Some of us youngings are still planning to have a kid or two down the line. After this virus thingy of course.

I know my gf will give me the ultimatum soon (probably a year or so), you know like Marissa Toomey character in My Cousin Vinny. (me ...trying to ahem this ahem that...stalling for more time)

Edit: to be honest, I am not worry about the vaccine(s) at the present time, more concern about the later potential effect...many years down the line.

Historical Safety Concerns | Vaccine Safety | CDC

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

Sounds like the UK wants to give single-doses to more people then give everyone their second doses months later. Sounds like a solid plan since a single dose results in significant-enough immunity/resistance and much-improved clinical outcomes if you get it anyway.
Why do they have to show the longest needles ever being used in the injection. I thought they wanted people to voluntarily take it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Why do they have to show the longest needles ever being used in the injection. I thought they wanted people to voluntarily take it.
His last video specifically commented on how small the needle was. It looks exactly like the ones I use for my dog's insulin.

Dec 10, 2005

Honestly, that's a pretty terrible idea. There is no scientific basis for giving only one shot of the currently authorized vaccines then following up months later with a second shot. Their trials were all run in a two-shot scheme within a specific time frame. With so little data available for the single shot dosing (and 0 for the second dose comes months later), it would seem like poor public health policy to proceed with that scheme.

Reactions: Captante and K1052

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Israel has vaccinated 11% of its population. Weird how deciding something is important to get done and the government actually doing it can produce tangible results.
I'm close to losing my mind over the total lack of preparedness in the distribution chain. This isn't P&N, so I'll leave it at that.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Honestly, that's a pretty terrible idea. There is no scientific basis for giving only one shot of the currently authorized vaccines then following up months later with a second shot. Their trials were all run in a two-shot scheme within a specific time frame. With so little data available for the single shot dosing (and 0 for the second dose comes months later), it would seem like poor public health policy to proceed with that scheme.

I understand the motivation but yeah this seems like a poor idea. We're going to have results from a single dose trial soon anyway.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm close to losing my mind over the total lack of preparedness in the distribution chain. This isn't P&N, so I'll leave it at that.

The holidays also appear to have caused a lot of stuff to just stop that should not have. Health departments closed, inoculation sites closed or reduced, distribution/ deliveries slowed etc. The lack of leadership and resources from the top is extremely apparent, basically the PPE and testing debacles all over again.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

As bad as the distribution has been, the rate they are vaccinating is even worse. I blame the tier system, that needs to be scrapped.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
NIH seems to think it's a solid plan and the single-shot already meets their minimum target effectiveness for a single-shot vaccine. The trial demonstrated that of the people who have had one shot and acquire the virus anyway, none were hospitalized. Our goal is supposed to be outcome-based, not to give a few as close to 100% immunity as possible before moving on to the next few. This method can get nearly twice as many people "immune enough" exactly where the far more infectious strain is already dominating the total cases. Community exposure will not mean the same thing when nearly everyone has one shot.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
As bad as the distribution has been, the rate they are vaccinating is even worse. I blame the tier system, that needs to be scrapped.
I include endpoint vaccination sites as being the distribution chain - not simply the physical transport. The tier system made allot of sense medically. If it is screwing things up, then it's just terrible planning and implementation - again.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Shipping to a bunch of different sites seems to have been a well intended miscalculation. Some hospitals have high uptake and use up the doses quickly, some have low uptake and are sitting on it, others have excess doses. Then there is the problem of medical personnel who are not directly employees of those facilities that are getting doses but still soundly sit in 1a priority who cannot get it. States should shift to mass vaccination PODs as soon as possible. Slot people through an online portal and just require people to present proof of eligibility then stick them.

Reactions: Zorba and Ajay