NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 519 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Per someone I know who works at Moderna in a non research sense. They are confident their vaccine will still work and can modify it rapidly if required.
Also viruses mutate all the time and typically they mutate to be less leathal because it make no evolutionary sense to kill your host.
Again I’m no expert but the second part makes sense.
Something to remember, these mRNA vaccines were designed from a readout of the viral RNA. Moderna has never had the actual virus in it's possession. Based on this, I think they know whether or not the vaccine "should" work. They are never going to promise without testing, of course.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Who else is completely not shocked...

Not surprised at all. As long as they keep allowing travel this will happen. It's ridiculous to keep locking us down when people can still travel all over. Ground all flights, setup road blocks between regions to only allow important traffic, then only need to lock down regions with active cases. Eventually don't need to lock down anyone and the regional bubbles can be made bigger until the whole country is back to normal. The whole pandemic could have lasted no more than a few months had they done this from the start.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Not surprised at all. As long as they keep allowing travel this will happen. It's ridiculous to keep locking us down when people can still travel all over. Ground all flights, setup road blocks between regions to only allow important traffic, then only need to lock down regions with active cases. Eventually don't need to lock down anyone and the regional bubbles can be made bigger until the whole country is back to normal. The whole pandemic could have lasted no more than a few months had they done this from the start.

Yep. This is much worse for so many people. This new COVID19 variant is goling to mess with our recovery. Faucci was on CNN and he's concerned. People are acting like idiots

NY Eve is going to be bad. Just stay home people. It's only for one year. But, many wo't stay home. They'll have HUGE parties, and gatherings.

Feb 4, 2009
Yep. This is much worse for so many people. This new COVID19 variant is goling to mess with our recovery. Faucci was on CNN and he's concerned. People are acting like idiots

NY Eve is going to be bad. Just stay home people. It's only for one year. But, many wo't stay home. They'll have HUGE parties, and gatherings.

Calm down man

Nov 8, 2012

The fearmongering is really getting out of hand...

It's a pandemic. You're not stopping it with a global population of 7B inwhich you can easily travel by car, sea, or air.

Reactions: Captante

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Even with the vaccines, people still have to be careful and not let their guard down.

Edit: Canada is requiring all international visitors to have current virus tests to enter. Colorado is checking for possible another new strain of virus.

Last edited:

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Even with the vaccines, people still have to be careful and not let their guard down.

Yeah 1-6 days isn't exactly enough time for it to become effective but I'm sure people will use this against the vaccine.

In other news TX has moved to phase 1B meaning anyone over 65 or over 16 with one comorbidity are eligible. Comorbidities include being obese and type 2 diabetes. Guess there won't be many people left after 1B.

I myself gave blood last week and my antibody test came back negative. So I'm not officially unblinded but it appears I did recieve the placebo. Honestly it's fairly amazing I have not caught covid yet given the last few months.

Reactions: Zorba and Captante

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Edit: Canada is requiring all international visitors to have current virus tests to enter. Colorado is checking for possible another new strain of virus.

Sounds like he was more than likely got COVID at basically the same time as the vaccine, +/- a couple days. This is really a non-story.

There is a chance that having the vaccine will lessen the effects of the disease, though.

Feb 4, 2009
Sounds like he was more than likely got COVID at basically the same time as the vaccine, +/- a couple days. This is really a non-story.

There is a chance that having the vaccine will lessen the effects of the disease, though.

Exactly, both are very effective at preventing hospitalization and extremely effective at preventing death.
Agreed this is a non story that probably shouldn’t have been published.

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yeah 1-6 days isn't exactly enough time for it to become effective but I'm sure people will use this against the vaccine.

In other news TX has moved to phase 1B meaning anyone over 65 or over 16 with one comorbidity are eligible. Comorbidities include being obese and type 2 diabetes. Guess there won't be many people left after 1B.

I myself gave blood last week and my antibody test came back negative. So I'm not officially unblinded but it appears I did recieve the placebo. Honestly it's fairly amazing I have not caught covid yet given the last few months.
From what I've read, the antibody tests don't look for an antibody for the spike protein, but on the nobby protein (it has a letter, but I can't remember).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And they really haven't figured out the correct dosing requirement and used multiple dosing regimes during their phase 3 study!

Yeah it's a mess and now AZ is talking about a 90 day gap between doses for higher efficacy somehow. More interested in J&J's single dose study data at this point which we should be seeing soon.

Reactions: Zorba and Ajay

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

That's why I said above "people still have to be careful " and not be like "Yeah, I have the vaccine. The virus can't touch me now. Screw them mask, social distance, cleaning practice" and go back to the good ole days without a care in the world.

Update news - France government says new infection cases go up over 26,000 for the last 24 hours.

Last edited:

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
From what I've read, the antibody tests don't look for an antibody for the spike protein, but on the nobby protein (it has a letter, but I can't remember).

Interesting, I have not done any research on that front but I figured the antibody tests looked for a wide range of antibodies most of which seem to be focusing on parts of the spike just like the vaccines.

Yeah it's a mess and now AZ is talking about a 90 day gap between doses for higher efficacy somehow. More interested in J&J's single dose study data at this point which we should be seeing soon.

It is almost unfathomable how messed up the AZ trials are now. The last thing they should have done was introduce yet another variable at the last moment. It really undermines one's faith that they know what they are doing. I am looking forward to the inevitable documentaries about the vaccine development and how the AZ trial in particular failed so badly.

Reactions: K1052

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's rather telling that Moncef Slaoui said the FDA could grant an EUA to AstraZeneca around the March-April time frame.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

I just saw that. If they can actually enforce that 100% it will help a lot I think. Like you show up and don't have a negative test you get sent back where you came from no questions asked. They need to actually enforce it. The voluntary quarantining is not enough, most people are not following that, since they don't want to use up 2 weeks of vacation for that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow that's a ridiculous thing to do. Everyone should have the right to not take the vaccine or not believe in it or have their own opinion about it etc but don't go ruining it for the ones that actually want it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Actually random thought, when they go to give the vaccine how does that work, as far as making sure it's right temp? I imagine they need to pre warm it before it gets administered and it probably needs to be a rather specific temperature (close to body temp?). I never really noticed with any vaccines that I've had but guess this is something that needs to be done before it's put in the needle.