NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 511 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My wife is heading to a neighboring town to get vaccinated after work. I'm really surprised she's going to get it this quick. I'll report back with any side effects and whether or not the vaccine does anything to help with parvo or kennel cough.
She said she got to the vaccination site and there were hundreds of people lining up. She said the hospital system CEO is who checked her in and she was able to get it done in just a few minutes without really waiting.

I'm excited to think that these sites are helping on the opposite end of those who contract the virus. I'm hopeful it will just be another month or so before they get all the main people take care of and move onto the rest of us.

Reactions: Captante and K1052

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hopefully the real time counts are much better. If they can't pick up the speed with medical people, they should open up phase 1b. Better to get the shots in arms than spend weeks getting them into the right arms.

Again this side didn't seem to get near the attention it should have.
My doctor replied to my inquiry today saying I'll be in the phase 1b group and that they'll let me know. I'll still wear a mask, but boy, after 9 months of SIP and 6+ feet and only twice being indoors (in stores) stick #1 + 5 weeks looks cool.

Reactions: Zorba

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
My doctor replied to my inquiry today saying I'll be in the phase 1b group and that they'll let me know. I'll still wear a mask, but boy, after 9 months of SIP and 6+ feet and only twice being indoors (in stores) stick #1 + 5 weeks looks cool.
Color me surprised, half the peanut gallery here said you wouldn't emerge into the light until approximately 2024. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
One dose will likely provide you 80+ % immunity. When you think of the "odds"...that might as well be 100%. I'm still going to mask up, wash hands, and stay away from people until the hospitals clear out and it's obvious we're seeing things heading toward normal.

I still think we're looking at March/April before the rest of us get it. =( I want to travel so bad.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
132191070_10159040420654914_1787780503860714283_n.jpg

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
When did things start getting grim again in South Korea? I thought they were supposed to be one of the success-stories?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
When did things start getting grim again in South Korea? I thought they were supposed to be one of the success-stories?

a lot of the world is still struggling with this, despite the media insinuation that everyone else is doing well and the US is the only place that cant get control.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Corona fatigue. People have been dealing with corona related restrictions for almost a year. Lot more people are getting comfortable thinking they won't get the virus or the virus isn't as bad. People want to live. Plus, weather is colder so more people are gathering and staying indoors.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Sadly, COVID is exploding at the memory care nursing home where my FIL lives. In one week it they went from 1 case to 8 and now 27. They have been very good with PPE for staff and antiseptic practices. Staff and residents were being tested every week. So far my father in law hasn’t been infected. Lots of anxiety in the family right now.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Phizer and Moderna vaccines have the same efficacy. If you want to wait - fine, someone more pragmatic than you can take your place.
I was thinking more about other vaccines other than Pfizer and Moderna. US and the world spent billions buying AstraZeneca vaccines and billions on J&J, Novavax, etc. I was thinking about those when I made the comment. They have to give those to someone.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/22/cov...ne-available-to-you-says-mayo-clinic-ceo.html

No thanks. I will wait for the Pfizer vaccine. If I'm going to take the vaccine, I want the one with the highest effective rate. I don't want no second rate vaccine. The Mayo Clinic CEO should take the Chinese or Russian vaccine. Assholes.
You don't want Moderna? Pfizer ~95% effective, Moderna ~94.5% effective. The difference seems pretty superficial. Plus, the Moderna's kept at refrigerator temperatures, not -95 degrees, which may mean it's less apt to be compromised.

Anyone see these two vaccines compared in a treatment accessible online?
(by that I mean a discussion comparing their efficacy)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
You don't want Moderna? Pfizer ~95% effective, Moderna ~94.5% effective. The difference seems pretty superficial. Plus, the Moderna's kept at refrigerator temperatures, not -95 degrees, which may mean it's less apt to be compromised.

Anyone see these two vaccines compared in a treatment accessible online?
For the record, the effectiveness is measured against the placebo arm of the trial; based on results from the development of other vaccines, real-world effectiveness is likely to be lower. It is also very inappropriate to directly compare different clinical trial results in a head-to-head fashion for a number of reasons (some reasons for this: different patient populations, different statistical assumptions, differing definitions of the clinical trial endpoint [even if they sound the same, they aren't always measured the same way], different ways safety was monitored).

Not sure what you mean about the bold.

Regardless, I'd take whichever vaccine gets offered to me first. I haven't seen a good reason to take one over the other.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Reactions: Ajay

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
I think I read or heard somewhere that the Johnson & Johnson vaccine (due out in mid Jan) is a single shot vaccine meaning no hassle of a follow up for the booster shot. As long as it is just as effective and deemed just as safe, I think I might go that route if possible.

Reactions: Artorias

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
now? like you think deadly virus are new to human population? that this is not the natural order as it has been since the beginning of time? anything like ebola with a 80 or 90% kill rate is not going to spread like covid. the people die before it spreads.

Back then, there were not as much humans around as it is now. Now there are billion and billion of us around (and still growing)

(look here, from the beginning of civilization to the birth of Jesus to the 1850's, the world population was below 1 billion people and then it went straight up to the present time of about 7.8 billion and still growing)

Historical%20human%20population%20growth%20-%20no%20logo_3.png

and we continue to take the habitats of wild animals and get closer and closer to them = greater chance of interact with them and get those deadly viruses onto ourselves and newer/mutate/evolve viruses. .

Speaking of kill rate, I think a lot of people do not take covid seriously because they they think if they have it, it would be like a cold or flu. If the kill rate is as high as Ebola or the symptoms are as bad, they would be more careful.

In other news, there is a possible infection at a research location in Antarctica.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
For the record, the effectiveness is measured against the placebo arm of the trial; based on results from the development of other vaccines, real-world effectiveness is likely to be lower. It is also very inappropriate to directly compare different clinical trial results in a head-to-head fashion for a number of reasons (some reasons for this: different patient populations, different statistical assumptions, differing definitions of the clinical trial endpoint [even if they sound the same, they aren't always measured the same way], different ways safety was monitored).

Not sure what you mean about the bold.

Regardless, I'd take whichever vaccine gets offered to me first. I haven't seen a good reason to take one over the other.
I'm hoping for sooner but I saw on the TV news last night that phase 1b is expected sometime in February. Wasn't definitive or anything, just a fragment of a sentence.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It's not just certified equipment manufacturing though. It's getting facilities certified, building up the knowledge for the manufacturing process (which at-scale manufacturing was basically just invented for Pfizer's vaccine), and getting the raw materials from certified producers. Even if you could get a contract organization in to help, which Moderna has basically bought up all the capacity for, it takes time to get procedures right at each facility. It's not just some copy-paste job that's easy to fulfill. Maybe the DPA could have helped a little with procuring some raw materials, but I don't think there is much cGMP manufacturing just sitting idle.

There have been some good commentary on it from people in the industry:
https://twitter.com/Chemjobber/status/1337939562069258241
https://twitter.com/Chemjobber/status/1337939889673781248
https://twitter.com/Chemjobber/status/1337940340896980992
https://twitter.com/Chemjobber/status/1337940863398207490

Yeah, you can increase capacity within a facility to a degree. I just don't think it's that easy though to expand outside of the facility though for the reasons I mentioned.
Apparently people that actually understand the specific supply chain think the DPA would help. I think I'll believe Pfizer over randos on Twitter.

As part of negotiations to sell 100 million more vaccine doses to Americans, the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer has pressed the Trump administration to activate the DPA. Pfizer, working with its partner BioNTech, and Moderna are the only companies that have been granted emergency use authorization by the Food and Drug Administration to distribute and administer Covid-19 vaccines in the U.S.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
now? like you think deadly virus are new to human population? that this is not the natural order as it has been since the beginning of time? anything like ebola with a 80 or 90% kill rate is not going to spread like covid. the people die before it spreads.
I agree on the viruses always being around, which is why we should fund preventative vaccine design now instead of after a virus becomes a pandemic.

The kill rate affecting the spread really depends on the time to kill and the contagious phase, though. HIV for example had an extremely high kill rate, but you could spread it for years before it killed you.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Well, I was extremely comforted to read in the morning paper that, out of a population of around 250,000, 12 people have been vaccinated in our county. No word on who, but a whole 12. wow.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
How are things going in your zip code?

Thanks for asking. COVID cases jumped 10% (over 100 new cases) from yesterday to today.

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay