NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 490 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Potentially the chain's deep passion for Norovirus?

Oh I loved that. They need to bring it back so that people over-react and sell their stock down again.

Last time I bought it up and gobbled it up - because regardless of the bad publicity their lunch line was out the door.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Oh I loved that. They need to bring it back so that people over-react and sell their stock down again.

Last time I bought it up and gobbled it up - because regardless of the bad publicity their lunch line was out the door.

One thing that mystifies me is that they actually are relatively popular here in TX where *waves hands at hundreds of taco trailers* there are way better options.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Well it wasn't Chipotle although I did grab some McD's on the way in to work. Aren't they owned by McD's? Anyways, pain has mostly subsided and haven't felt anymore nausea. For now, chalking it up to eating McD's. Hopefully it'll just go away completely soon.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well it wasn't Chipotle although I did grab some McD's on the way in to work. Aren't they owned by McD's? Anyways, pain has mostly subsided and haven't felt anymore nausea. For now, chalking it up to eating McD's. Hopefully it'll just go away completely soon.

At one point McDonald's owned almost the entire company but divested the shares after it went public. They helped grow Chipolte but eventually separated because the leadership out at Oak Brook couldn't fully wrap their minds around that it wasn't a McDs and never would be. Overall kind of a mistake heh.

Anyway glad it's probably not the coronavirus.

Nov 8, 2012
One thing that mystifies me is that they actually are relatively popular here in TX where *waves hands at hundreds of taco trailers* there are way better options.

Overall much better health-related options in my opinion. Also dirt cheap overall.

Lot of food for little money overall. I can load a burrito bowl @ Chipotle for ~$10 and it can be enough for 3 meals. Just get double meat, (costs ~$2 extra), extra beans, extra cheese, extra veggies, sour cream on top, corn mix.

Personally, I'm not a big taco person and more like burritos - but I would figure your average taco truck is either doused in grease - or it just tastes bad. I'll frankly never understand why people think tamales taste good. You sincerely have a mental disorder if your brain is telling you that tamales taste good.

I know people like to *THINK* taco trucks is good food or something... it just isn't though. That's why none of them ever succeed actually building a brand and taking off - and instead those types of food are dominated by Chipotle, Torchys tacos, etc...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Overall much better health-related options in my opinion. Also dirt cheap overall.

Lot of food for little money overall. I can load a burrito bowl @ Chipotle for ~$10 and it can be enough for 3 meals. Just get double meat, (costs ~$2 extra), extra beans, extra cheese, extra veggies, sour cream on top, corn mix.

Personally, I'm not a big taco person and more like burritos - but I would figure your average taco truck is either doused in grease - or it just tastes bad. I'll frankly never understand why people think tamales taste good. You sincerely have a mental disorder if your brain is telling you that tamales taste good.

I know people like to *THINK* taco trucks is good food or something... it just isn't though. That's why none of them ever succeed actually building a brand and taking off - and instead those types of food are dominated by Chipotle, Torchys tacos, etc...

You need to go to better taco trucks...

Also have you tried unwrapping the tamales?

Nov 8, 2012
All signs point to almost immediate deployment of available vaccine stockpile basically right after the FDA advisory committee meets on the 10th.

Yeah sorry, but with all these vaccines coming online around the same time, anyone who says were going to be in this current state until summer 2021 is nuts. That isn't what will happen.

Were not talking about manufacturing and distribution of one vaccine - but at least 3-5.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah sorry, but with all these vaccines coming online around the same time, anyone who says were going to be in this current state until summer 2021 is nuts. That isn't what will happen.

Were not talking about manufacturing and distribution of one vaccine - but at least 3-5.

Well so far 2 for now. My presumption would be that Moderna gets their EUA maybe a week after Pfizer. US could revive something like 60M doses or more per month combined from Jan-Feb onward assuming there is no manufacturing catastrophe. AZ seems to be farther behind in production than previously assumed but not by a ton though I doubt the FDA will grant them an EUA until the US Phase 3 is completed satisfactorily.

In the current state? No. This wave will eventually ebb and vaccinations will be increasing at the same time. We're still going to need public health interventions for a while but the off ramp is clearly visible.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Say what you will about my politics but slandering taco trucks is just plain wrong. Enjoy your Mexi-Mormon cuisine.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I am going to wait for a while (at least a few months) with the vaccine(s) (even with them full blown running). Will continue with my mask, social distance, and good hygiene habit as I am doing now since the beginning of the virus in March/April.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That tweet is not surprising. The half dose thing is peculiar to start - I want to know how many were actually in that group. As I mentioned before, subgroup analyses can be kind of sketchy.

Looks like 2600. Just from scanning twitter a bit looks like different sites (Brazil/UK/SA etc) may have used different protocols.

I mean it appears the shot works but geez figuring out the true efficacy seems difficult if this is the case. The US trial shouldn't have this problem though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I am going to wait for a while (at least a few months) with the vaccine(s) (even with them full blown running). Will continue with my mask, social distance, and good hygiene habit as I am doing now since the beginning of the virus in March/April.
I'm not in a high risk group myself, so I think it makes sense to wait for others who need it more than I do to get a chance first.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm not in a high risk group myself, so I think it makes sense to wait for others who need it more than I do to get a chance first.

I'm not butting in line but when my turn comes I'm absolutely taking it. I don't expect this until probably April.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
This is already baked into the phased distribution plan. Assuming healthy adults can get vaccinated around April-ish, you're welcome to choose to wait a while after that, but it won't be an issue of scarcity per se.

If you start doing some rough math, a quarter of the U.S. population may have Covid-19 antibodies by springtime, and another large segment have turned into vaccine skeptics (if not full-blown anti-vaxxers). As others have suggested, there should be plenty of doses to go around by the summer, if not sooner.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Speaking of China... wonder how they are doing these days, don't hear much. For all we know all hell could be breaking loose overthere.

I recall hearing that they got it under control and were doing well but kind of have to take what they say with a grain of salt. If it's bad here I can't see how it's not even worse overthere too, way denser population.

Found this and I kinda doubt these numbers lol:

Ignore the dubious official numbers; they've taken this shit very seriously since late January.

Not to say that non-authoritarian countries can do what they do, nor should we want to. But there are other success stories such as Taiwan, South Korea, New Zealand and AU.

If it's bad here I can't see how it's not even worse overthere too, way denser population.
So no, your level of skepticism isn't warranted.

Nov 8, 2012

Christ - I cant fathom how these morons can make decisions for these businesses - but not adequately supplement their giant loss of income.

Large corps are loving this pandemic - gobbling up small business competition - but they have the capital to sustain. Even if they don't have the capital, they will safely be bailed out regardless.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

I am more worry about the potential reaction/side effect/ to the vaccine(s). I will wait for a while just to be sure. I will have to do it if I want to travel oversea in late 2021/early 2022 because there is a potential of proof of vaccination before you can enter any country as tourist/visitor.

Oh, and I was in the local Target last night around 8 p.m. and the toilet paper section was barren. Not a single item left on the shelves. Not one.

Last edited: