NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 410 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lol people in my city protesting the new mask rules. Masks will now be required in indoor public environments.

31gvqWE.jpg

watch

• Haha
Reactions: purbeast0

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I've read like three stories today about a family getting the virus who say:

1) They took every precaution (masks, distancing, hand washing)
2) They stayed home (groceries delivered, not going out to eat etc)
3) They attended a gathering inside somebody's house for hours upon hours unmasked
4) Welp the virus was so sneaky everyone is going to get it basically

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I went to get a sandwich, drinks last night and some dude blew up because he was asked to put on a mask. The 2 ladies behind the counter threw his ass out the store. This idiot was cursing, throwing out insults, and he even threatened the one girl. He even said that he was a lawyer and was going to sue. All that he was asked was to either cover his mouth with his tshirt, or to put on a mask. That's it. People are stupid. :confused:
Shouldn't matter as much in an eating establishment; where you have to remove it for the majority of the time you are there anyway. Of course, staff should keep their masks in place any time they are near customers.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
How long are we away from a possible vaccine? 6 months, 1 year? Maybe...

But, here is the issue. Many Americans will not take the vaccine. So, what is the government to do then? Does it become mandatory? Do the police raid homes so they can administator the vaccine? This is going to be the issue, because we could have the vaccine available, but if people aren't willing to take it we could see riots. I figure the people who aren't going to take this vaccine will number in the millions. I can forsee a HUGE isssue with this. Also, even if Trump loses this election I can see him on Twitter posting conspiracy theories about the vaccine, and millions will go right along with the same thought process.
In USA we will not be able to force everyone to take it, but I don't think that's as big a problem as it sounds.

Everyone who is willing to take it absolutely should.

Continue protecting vulnerable / immuno-compromised people who may not be able to take the vaccine or may not develop immunity.

Wait for all the idiots to get sick and either die or develop immunity the natural way.

After everything runs its course, the vulnerable / immuno-compromised people should no longer need extra protection.

Hopefully then the pandemic will be officially over.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I wish I could read that second sign. Encoding artifacts destroyed the image detail.
Poorly written sign if the intent is for people at a distance to read your gibberish. Note the word he highlights in dark red is the smallest.
A few parts are inscrutable, but I think the top says:
Mask today?
Vaccine is next?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
In USA we will not be able to force everyone to take it, but I don't think that's as big a problem as it sounds.

Everyone who is willing to take it absolutely should.

Continue protecting vulnerable / immuno-compromised people who may not be able to take the vaccine or may not develop immunity.

Wait for all the idiots to get sick and either die or develop immunity the natural way.

After everything runs its course, the vulnerable / immuno-compromised people should no longer need extra protection.

Hopefully then the pandemic will be officially over.

Yea... Until we get hit with another life altering virus.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
5-6 months before scale vaccinations start would seem like the best case scenario. Might see some emergency use before then if phase 3 data looks good.

Adoption could be a problem but I'm torn on how severe it will be. We're really going to go through it here in the next few months which could change a lot of minds. It will be mandatory for so many people anyway (schools, military, prisons, government workers, travelers, etc) that as long as it's pretty effective we should be able to achieve reasonably protecctive herd immunity. We might not be able to fully eradicate it but between vaccination and better treatment it can be rendered a manageable problem. The big problem will likely be the elderly who don't respond to many vaccines as well as younger people. Though places like nursing homes and hospitals might well bar unvaccinated people out of liability concern.

IMO, the best course of action is for whichever company comes up with a workable vaccine to sell / license to EVERY OTHER COMPANY that can manufacture the vaccine the "formula" so that the speed with which EVERYONE can get vaccinated is far FAR quicker than it would otherwise be, so that the World can open up that much sooner.

This would mean all other companies in the "race for the vaccine" would lose A LOT of money but that amount COMBINED PALES in comparison with what's being lost EACH DAY by countries around the world. Besides, the Governments could always compensate the "losing companies" so that they don't lose as much.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Stopped at Walmart the other day. The number of people who were wearing masks but had their noses out was amazing. I'm calling it the Mustache Tuck from now on.
It always bugs me seeing that on TV news and I see that every night. Don't people know you exhale through your nose? :rolleyes: People are fucking stupid.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I went to get a sandwich, drinks last night and some dude blew up because he was asked to put on a mask. The 2 ladies behind the counter threw his ass out the store. This idiot was cursing, throwing out insults, and he even threatened the one girl. He even said that he was a lawyer and was going to sue. All that he was asked was to either cover his mouth with his tshirt, or to put on a mask. That's it. People are stupid. :confused:
To me, that's just another example of someone putting way more effort into not wearing a mask than to just put one on.

I still don't & probably never will get these people.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I am at a crossroads. I spoke out at work, they have decided to bring everyone back in. I objected, they claimed this is all fake. When I was in the office I wore a mask full time. Then my boss started sending me texts about how masks make you sicker and co2 poisoning, etc. I am not a worker bee, I am a manager of decently high level and seniority. I cannot help but feel targeted right now. I can either roll over and secure my place rising ever higher in the company or I can go to war. Quitting isn't an option, I have been here 16 years they are going to have to drag me out.

The booze isn't giving me any answers.
No, don't booze on this. I don't drink a drop if I have a real issue to deal with.

Your boss is out of line, dead wrong, and you know that, and if he has superiors, they should know that. If your boss is the CEO, you are not in a great place. I think it may be possible to get support from outside for your wearing a mask, from some government agency that will protect you from harassment for wearing a mask. I mean, in this situation it should be your right. If you have a lawyer, preferably a good one, it would be something to discuss. Hang tough, and good luck!

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
85% of African-Americans are Vitamin D deficient compared to something like 25% of the population as a whole. This looks like a HUGE factor for the disproportionate CFR.
I'm white, but have been taking a vitamin D capsule every day for months (with some other supplements including C and a multivitamin). I'm getting maybe 15 minutes sun a day, but not counting on that for vitamin D. My cousin M.D. mentioned vitamin D when I saw him weekend of March 1.
I'd like to understand the mental gymnastics it takes for folks to be so passionately against masks. If it didn't have widespread implications, it would just be hilarious.

Great news about Walmart and Sams requiring them -- tend to think the majority of their patrons fall into that no-mask-patriot-karen category.
It's those people who have through social conditioning acquired the attitude that their ability to make personal choices trumps any constraints imposed by others. This is epidemic in America. It doesn't withstand evidence, logic and a dispassionate investigation of the facts in a great many situations, but people hold onto this bias regardless. As Dr. Spock would say, "highly illogical." There are many laws and norms that defy this (e.g. helmet laws, seatbelt laws, gun laws, a great deal of the legal code both federally and state, vaccination mandates, common sense restrictions on freedom of speech such as the fact you can't shout 'fire' in a crowded theater, laws against nudity, indecency, obscenity, draft during wartime, etc, etc).

In the case of masks there are additional problems by virtue of the fact that so many people are rather insane. Their relationships with people are things they haven't come to terms with in so many circumstances and adding masks to the equation they get nervous and have a knee jerk reaction, no, I can't handle that, I won't, I say no. They aren't accustomed to facing reality so they do what they usually do when asked to change, they grab the first thing that comes to mind as an excuse for not changing. Hate to say it but we need a propaganda campaign. Getting enough people to really understand why wearing masks helps in time to prevent the catastrophe looming ahead of us is a lot tougher than just getting them to wear them by hook or by crook, legislation, pressure from organizations ("you can't come in here without one!"), your boss, your mother, whatever.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
IMO, the best course of action is for whichever company comes up with a workable vaccine to sell / license to EVERY OTHER COMPANY that can manufacture the vaccine the "formula" so that the speed with which EVERYONE can get vaccinated is far FAR quicker than it would otherwise be, so that the World can open up that much sooner.

This would mean all other companies in the "race for the vaccine" would lose A LOT of money but that amount COMBINED PALES in comparison with what's being lost EACH DAY by countries around the world. Besides, the Governments could always compensate the "losing companies" so that they don't lose as much.

Licensing is already happening and is the only real way to get this done at the scale required. Oxford/AZ has licensed to the Serum Institute of India and Brazil for starters.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I brought up a possible vaccine and the people I talked to all said that they weren't going to take the Bill Gates vaccine.

sigh...:rolleyes:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No, it's more like when you were a kid and your mom told you to brush your teeth every night. It doesn't really matter if you were good or bad about doing it, you probably got sick of hearing it around the twentieth time.

I guess that it's like any other form of advertising... once you've heard the message one too many times, you start to hold a grudge against the messenger.

Of course, I've been basically ordered to wear a mask since April in my state. Maybe the experience is different in states where the mask ban is new?

Okay, so this is about adult children clinging to childish behavior and pettiness.

yeah, we already knew that these anti-maskers were children, though. Is it that simple?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
if you are "sick and tired" of hearing about masks you should forced to spend one week in a hospital, ideally working, not just hanging around.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
if you are "sick and tired" of hearing about masks you should forced to spend one week in a hospital, ideally working, not just hanging around.

They should be part of the care team for a patient when they arrive in the ER through their discharge.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I brought up a possible vaccine and the people I talked to all said that they weren't going to take the Bill Gates vaccine.

sigh...:rolleyes:

Insanity aside the idea that Bill Gates cares where random Americans might be is a pretty amazing self important delusion.