NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 401 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Saw a story on CBS Evening News about the virus. It shown a bunch of people in a water park in Houston, shoulder to shoulder, and most of them did not have any mask on. No wonder the cases are going up over there.

Reactions: mopardude87

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Wife is starting to feel somewhat sick, but is absolute freaking out like she has it. Almost seems like a placebo effect.

Personally, based on how long it takes for symptoms to start showing, my philosophy is that everyone in the house would already be infected at this point.

What says AT on that? Should we try to quarantine from each other and the kids?
IDK, what's her doctor have to say about it?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Wife is starting to feel somewhat sick, but is absolute freaking out like she has it. Almost seems like a placebo effect.

Personally, based on how long it takes for symptoms to start showing, my philosophy is that everyone in the house would already be infected at this point.

As a non-doctor, no point in quarantining at this point. You've been breathing in each other's air during the hypothetical incubation and early symptomatic stage, if you were gonna get sick it would have happened by now.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Ugh...

Both NY Post and that ignorant PD need to be sued for spreading this dangerous and irresponsible lie. I've already seen people on Facebook sharing this as proof that masks are dangerous, completely oblivious to the circular reasoning:
Those cops are just repeating the BS they heard on Facebook. It doesn't VALIDATE the BS on Facebook!

Exactly.

This goes right along with the reports of millions of health workers passing out from wearing masks all day - oh, wait...

And what on earth was he doing wearing a mask for hours in the car anyway?

Reactions: CZroe and pmv
Nov 8, 2012
As a non-doctor, no point in quarantining at this point. You've been breathing in each other's air during the hypothetical incubation and early symptomatic stage, if you were gonna get sick it would have happened by now.

Pretty much what I figured - hence why I didn't stress about it. It is what it is.

Anyhow, she woke up this morning and didn't feel bad so she hopefully realized how irrational it was heh.

Basically complained over some "body aches" she was getting last night that she normally doesn't get unless sick. Also thought she was starting to get a dry throat, but turned out to not be the case when she woke up.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I am not worried about this. Of course companies will make some money however the figures we are talking about are irrelevant considering the cost the disease is extracting from the global economy and in terms of lives. No major Pharma corp is going to allow a vaccine that isn't safe and effective to be distributed. To do otherwise risks not only the reputation of said company but the entirety of their business. They'd get crushed by regulators, lawsuits, and potentially law enforcement. Also getting rid of this virus efficiently is good business for those companies since the pandemic has wrecked demand for many of their other products as some people avoid treatment for non-virus illnesses.

Well, I'm a little bit worried. Not greatly but a bit.

Bayer infected tons of people all over the world with aids to avoid taking a write down on infected blood products and they're still around. More recently, tons of people to opiates. Even the polio vaccine had a (shoddy) live virus competitor that caused polio and IIRC killed a few people. These companies will literally kill you and nothing meaningful will happen to them. And most of these companies are run by even more short term thinking execs than in the past. I haven't seen anything in my life to suggest the large companies are punished in any significant way for major failures. I'm not an anti-vaxer and I think there's a low likelihood of the vaccines doing anything dangerous, but these are profit driven companies and corporations as an entity have no morals, they will do whatever they can make a profit from...your dead or maimed body is just an expense on the balance sheet.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006

Bayer infected tons of people all over the world with aids to avoid taking a write down on infected blood products and they're still around. More recently, tons of people to opiates. Even the polio vaccine had a (shoddy) live virus competitor that caused polio and IIRC killed a few people. These companies will literally kill you and nothing meaningful will happen to them. And most of these companies are run by even more short term thinking execs than in the past. I haven't seen anything in my life to suggest the large companies are punished in any significant way for major failures. I'm not an anti-vaxer and I think there's a low likelihood of the vaccines doing anything dangerous, but these are profit driven companies and corporations as an entity have no morals, they will do whatever they can make a profit from...your dead or maimed body is just an expense on the balance sheet.

With 140 vaccines in the works, a confidence level of five percent would allow a bunch through that were just due to randomness.

I'm sure it is much more complicated than that.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

We're talking about products that will be given to billions of people in a rapid way. Any major fucking around with the safety on these would be the literal end for any of the big pharma cos. There would be no escaping the public wrath and it would pay politically to prosecute.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
With 140 vaccines in the works, a confidence level of five percent would allow a bunch through that were just due to randomness.

I'm sure it is much more complicated than that.

Most of those vaccines will never even see a phase 3 ($$$) let alone broad public use. Some could provide a basis for 2nd generation vaccines if the science is compelling. I think several of the leading candidates will prove to be sufficiently effective to be utilized.

Reactions: Muse

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
107567005_10216457951817760_7393219380442053134_n.jpg

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

Taking precautions for this extremely virulent illness, what are the chances of catching something that is LESS contagious? She probably has it. It's possible that the majority of cases have no symptoms or mild symptoms. If she has it, it's still possible you and the kids had it first. Who knows.

Anyway, be extra careful.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Pretty much what I figured - hence why I didn't stress about it. It is what it is.

Anyhow, she woke up this morning and didn't feel bad so she hopefully realized how irrational it was heh.

Basically complained over some "body aches" she was getting last night that she normally doesn't get unless sick. Also thought she was starting to get a dry throat, but turned out to not be the case when she woke up.
Still, be careful. It's possible your whole family got it, but all were asymptomatic. You still don't want to spread to other people. I don't recall if you said whether or not you had been recently tested.

I'll get another test before I get my next haircut.

Nov 8, 2012
Still, be careful. It's possible your whole family got it, but all were asymptomatic. You still don't want to spread to other people. I don't recall if you said whether or not you had been recently tested.

Yeah to be honest, I think we all got it back in Mid-february when we had to travel down to Orlando for a work conference I was at. We were around thousands of people and even walking around Disney with thousands of foreign tourists. When we got back the week after everyone was sick. My wife... My 3 year old... and our 3 month old.... Everyone except me because my wife always complains how good my immune system is lol.

But anyhow, she was just getting dramatic last night thinking she was going to self-quarantine for 2 weeks in our house like being in a locked dungeon and unable to kiss the kids goodnight.

Just knowing how close we are together every-day.... Yeah, there was no doubt in my mind that if she had it then everyone else in the house would already have it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

He's saying it was just an assumption based on body aches... not even symptoms of a respiratory illness.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My Oncologist told me yesterday that the Italian version of the virus landed in Boston in Jan, the Wuhan version infected those at the BioGen conferenc. We now have a third, mutated versio, incubation period of up to 30 days, supposedly a little less lethal.

I go to work, I go home, I go for cancer treatment & one emergency dental appointment...trying to plan the safest time to get two bad teeth extracted.

The constant donning & doffing of PPE, the endless hand washing, finding good sanitizer...hand washing my cloth masks.... the constant worry & anxiety....I must confess, I am tired.

I am also afraid each time I must gently remind someone to pull the mask up over their nose. I am polite, put it in terms of protecting their health but actually worry somebody might shoot me for just doing what my employer has asked of me.
I haven't washed any of my masks but I haven't tossed any either. I figure if you let them sit around for a few days, especially a week, they are not going to have any living spores on them and it's safe to reuse them. Good luck with your issues there and keep up the good hygiene and smart protocols.

Reactions: CZroe

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I haven't washed any of my masks but I haven't tossed any either. I figure if you let them sit around for a few days, especially a week, they are not going to have any living spores on them and it's safe to reuse them. Good luck with your issues there and keep up the good hygiene and smart protocols.
Just curious. I don't hear anyone else referring to "spores." Did you hear that somewhere?

When I hear "spores," I think of mold or fungus.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Not sure if this got posted but looks like Bill Nye is pissed. Oh i love the candle experiment, blew pretty damn hard and STILL not put it out. Man i always loved this dude.

That was pretty good. Confirmed viewing of that should be requisite to being allowed to register to vote. :D

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Just curious. I don't hear anyone else referring to "spores." Did you hear that somewhere?

When I hear "spores," I think of mold or fungus.
Well, yeah, you're maybe right. Viral particles. An expert called a single on a "virion." I think viral particles would be not inaccurate. Not as easy to type as spores tho. Covid beasties kind of works. Fact is they don't give a shit what you call them, they're apolitical, have no opinions, no agenda, they just want to get into your lungs and breed like gangbusters.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes, a lot of people are watching the sunbelt and thinking "oh".

Florida reported 15K cases today.
A map of the USA showing the states that have the hugest covid-19 problems is illustrative. The blowhard in chief (you'all know who I'm talking about) said with the oncoming heat of the warmer months it would just disappear. Fact is, the warmer parts of the country are have the worst problems. TX, AZ, FL, CA.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I can't remember where I read or heard it, maybe here, but I recall someone explaining that while battling the virus he felt severe pain in his testicles. And there was discussion about why the reproductive organs like testes are getting hit.

Kind of an eye-opener, but then again, everything about this virus has been an eye-opener for those of us paying attention.
This virus has a wider range of effects on the human body than any other pathogen in history:

Reactions: gill77

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

If it were me, YES!