NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 399 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
They don't have to fine individuals. All they have to do is tell businesses, organizations, and government offices to require them and if the they don't try then you can fine them. If a business tries to enforce it and law enforcement is required because an individual will not comply, well then that individual will be charged with trespassing, disorderly conduct, or whatever other existing laws they broke. Much easier than fining individuals and threatening them with a year in jail over a mask, which everyone knows will be thrown out in a year anyway and likely result in lawsuits against the arresting departments.

Yeah, Connecticut doesn't have fines for not wearing a mask. That said, most businesses will not let you inside without wearing them. We also have roaming herds of rabid overprotective soccer moms who will publicly shame you on Facebook for not wearing a mask in public :) They're probably one of the real reasons why the ban gets enforced as well as it does, and we're not seeing a resurgence in cases here.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The huge outbreak DOC caused at San Quinten has certainly not helped matters and of course is seeping into the community as the staff gets sick too. Transferring prisoners during a major outbreak is unbelievably stupid.
Announcement today that CA intends to prematurely release ~8000 prisoners, focusing on non-violent offenders. The report (I saw it on TV) was that they will test each person before being released. Some 1500 of San Quentin's ~4000 inmates have tested positive! Also, a very high number of staff there. A fairly high percentage of that prison's population has risk factors, I heard on another news story. It just got way out of control very quickly. Obviously the conditions for the infection spreading rapidly were pervasive.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I live in a small corner of the country that has mostly been spared by covid because fewer people here travel. There are pockets of money, but I think I read the avg credit score is in the low 600s. That just suggests that there are a lot of blue collar and retail workers with limited capability to vacation. However, more recent weeks, people are still hitting beaches in SC and NC and coming back COVID positive. Remember, I hit the SC coast in late May and took precautions. I witnessed that very few people in the grocery stores wore masks and I picked up a pizza from a local place one night....cooked in the condo the rest of the time. I feel as though the majority of people are ignorant fools that don't analyze risk properly, which is unfortunate for the trajectory of this thing as we await a viable vaccine.

Things are going to continue to ramp up in the South. We are seeing an increased number locally and without another mandated shutdown (that simply won't happen), it's going to spiral quickly. My wife's office is seeing more and more suspected cases and it scares me because of how many people work in that environment in a relatively confined space.

We finally allowed our cleaning lady to come back 2-3 weeks ago and I don't want to let her go again as she took about 2 months off. She wears a mask, but I'll likely go back behind her with wipes and try to re-sanitize most surfaces we frequently touch. Luckily, I have about 800 sq feet of space that we don't allow her in...so I can shelter upstairs with the kids while she does her thing cleaning for 3 hours. =)

Btw...I was playing a free game on Xbox Live the other day and someone's mic wasn't adjusted properly. I could hear multiple people coughing in the background. It sounded pretty bad and of course, I'm thinking they all have it...
Saw a news story on SC tonight on TV. Things are getting pretty tough there in the hospitals.
India and South Africa appear to be exploding with exponential growth.

Brazil continues its trajectory of ~40,000 new cases and ~1000 new deaths everyday.

But the United States remains the undisputed heavyweight champ of new cases. And now new deaths are returning to the 1,000/day mark.

The land of the free, the land of the brave, the land of the sick.
The land of the free, the land of the brave, the land of the sick, the land of the stupid.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
LOL

Apparently Disney world is actually reopening tomorrow.

This is fucking hilarious just based on the fact that cases were LOWER when they closed.
Word on TV was that they're totally booked with reservations, so yeah, it will happen. Masks (er, facial coverings) all around.

Nov 8, 2012
Announcement today that CA intends to prematurely release ~8000 prisoners, focusing on non-violent offenders. The report (I saw it on TV) was that they will test each person before being released. Some 1500 of San Quentin's ~4000 inmates have tested positive! Also, a very high number of staff there. A fairly high percentage of that prison's population has risk factors, I heard on another news story. It just got way out of control very quickly. Obviously the conditions for the infection spreading rapidly were pervasive.
Lol non violent at a prison like San Quentin.... That's funny shit.

Whatever you guys wanna tell yourself while living in la la land.

Dec 10, 2005
Lol non violent at a prison like San Quentin.... That's funny shit.

Whatever you guys wanna tell yourself while living in la la land.
Quick Google search says that it ranges from minimum to maximum security. Easy to see how you can have nonviolent people in that mix.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
The piecemeal way southern and western governors are dealing with this seems unlikely to dramatically slow the outbreaks in those states. What we have to do isn’t at this point unclear, the will is just lacking.

10k cases in TX. 11k in Floriduh. This country has totally lost control of the situation.

Honestly this disease is out of control globally. A complete failure to contain it. And now i see stories that it has mutated and is now even more infectious with no lessening of symptoms. Worse it seems people can be reinfected after a few months, so this could be around for years if we don't get a vaccine.

Reactions: Muse

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
10k cases in TX. 11k in Floriduh. This country has totally lost control of the situation.

Honestly this disease is out of control globally. A complete failure to contain it. And now i see stories that it has mutated and is now even more infectious with no lessening of symptoms. Worse it seems people can be reinfected after a few months, so this could be around for years if we don't get a vaccine.
Estimations have always been that actual infection numbers are 7-12 times what's reported. If that's the case you're looking at 70-130k infected in each state. It'll be most interesting in years to come to compare avg death rates for states and see what the spike looks like considering many people are dying of stroke, heart attack, kidney failure and blood clots from covid....but not reported that way. It will be the only way we can get a baseline to tear through the political games governor's are playing by hiding the actual severity of things.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

If we don't get a vaccine seems to me we're pretty screwed if all that other stuff is true. Seems to me that isn't likely, I mean not having effective vaccine(s). I heard I think yesterday there are 140 or so in development and/or testing. I'm hoping that in a year I'll be immune... not by catching it but by getting vaccinated. That would be an interesting feeling. Like waking up from a nightmare.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What does worry me about so many companies working on a vaccine is I wonder how much of this is profit driven only. Ex: do they care about how effective or safe it will be or are they all racing to be first just so they can profit from it, patent it, and shut everyone else out? Would be much better if they were all working together instead for the good of humanity and not just for profiteering.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What does worry me about so many companies working on a vaccine is I wonder how much of this is profit driven only. Ex: do they care about how effective or safe it will be or are they all racing to be first just so they can profit from it, patent it, and shut everyone else out? Would be much better if they were all working together instead for the good of humanity and not just for profiteering.
Well, the first step was taken by Chinese scientists who published the SARS-CoV-2 genome on the internet. The CCP was quite unhappy with them for doing that, I heard. I have not heard that companies are vying with one another and hiding info. And I wouldn't assume that all these companies expect to make a lot of money at this. Seems like there's a 95% chance what ever they come up with will be discarded in favor of something else.

It has to be seen as the most critical scientific work going on right now. That in and of itself provides a lot of motivation. There is profiteering going on, the price gouging for PPE, etc. Have you seen stories about companies developing vaccines that are doing something reprehensible?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I am not worried about this. Of course companies will make some money however the figures we are talking about are irrelevant considering the cost the disease is extracting from the global economy and in terms of lives. No major Pharma corp is going to allow a vaccine that isn't safe and effective to be distributed. To do otherwise risks not only the reputation of said company but the entirety of their business. They'd get crushed by regulators, lawsuits, and potentially law enforcement. Also getting rid of this virus efficiently is good business for those companies since the pandemic has wrecked demand for many of their other products as some people avoid treatment for non-virus illnesses.

Reactions: CZroe

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
My Oncologist told me yesterday that the Italian version of the virus landed in Boston in Jan, the Wuhan version infected those at the BioGen conferenc. We now have a third, mutated versio, incubation period of up to 30 days, supposedly a little less lethal.

I go to work, I go home, I go for cancer treatment & one emergency dental appointment...trying to plan the safest time to get two bad teeth extracted.

The constant donning & doffing of PPE, the endless hand washing, finding good sanitizer...hand washing my cloth masks.... the constant worry & anxiety....I must confess, I am tired.

I am also afraid each time I must gently remind someone to pull the mask up over their nose. I am polite, put it in terms of protecting their health but actually worry somebody might shoot me for just doing what my employer has asked of me.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Had to punch out 30 minutes for my lunch. Accidentally left my mask in the office and the one in the car finally broke. Had to use the restroom really badly. Goodwill was right across the street, has a public restroom, and allows customers without masks.

Big mistake.

I had to stand behind a family of 6 (four kids) while they all got their temperatures checked and people were waiting to enter behind me so I couldn't wait for things to air out before I stepped right where all six were two seconds before me to get my own temp checked. I proceeded to the restroom and they still don't have paper towels or any way to open the door without grabbing a handle with your freshly-washed hands (no elbows on this one). I tried to use my shirt but it didn't work out.

Anyway, they were PACKED. Like, busier than I have ever seen them. As I made my way back through the store to leave I kept having stop and wait for room. At least three times I heard a clearly-sick child with a coughing fit right in the direction I was heading. It was always close too... like, right around the corner of the next aisle. It took me a few minutes to redirect and each time I diverted I'd hear that same obviously-sick child cough right in front of me again. The last time was still nearby but I was already passing that area and it wasn't in front of me. I looked every single time and never saw the source of the coughing but after the final time I had to announce to everyone around me:
"Whoever is coughing like that should not be in this store. Yeah, I said it. Read the signs." You know the ones... If you are showing any signs of illness... [blah blah blah] ...DO NOT ENTER.

I mean, we are in the height of summer. Whatever that kid has, he/she didn't get it from school and he/she got it in spite of unprecedented social distancing, so I'd say there was a pretty good chance that kid's parents are directly responsible for infecting people during a pandemic. Even if it is just a normal cold (doubtful), we damn-sure don't need to be adding to the healthcare load with other respiratory infections right now. Those parents deserve a slap in the face... or much worse. It's hard to top that level of irresponsibility. It's as if they are doing everything possible to spread it to as many as they can and don't even care that subsequent people will die as a result if their kid does have it.

Kid is sick? STAY TF HOME, MORONS!

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Had to punch out 30 minutes for my lunch. Accidentally left my mask in the office and the one in the car finally broke. Had to use the restroom really badly. Goodwill was right across the street, has a public restroom, and allows customers without masks.

Big mistake.

I had to stand behind a family of 6 (four kids) while they.all got their temperatures checked and people were waiting to enter behind me so I couldn't wait for things to air out before I stepped right where all six were two seconds before me to.get my own temp checked. I proceeded to the restroom and they still don't have paper towels or any way to open the door without grabbing a handle with your freshly-washed hands (no elbows on this one). I tried to use my shirt but it didn't work out.

Anyway, they were PACKED. Like, busier than I have ever seen them. As I made my way back through the store to leave kept having stop and wait for room. At least three times I heard a clearly-sick child with a coughing fit right in the direction I was heading. It was always close too... like, right around the corner of the next aisle. It took me a few minutes to redirect and each time I diverted I'd hear that same obviously-sick child cough right in front of me again. The last time was still nearby but I was already passing that area and it wasn't in front of me. I looked every single time and never saw the source of the coughing but after the final time I had to announce to everyone around me:
"Whoever is coughing like that should not be in this store. Yeah, I said it. Read the signs." You know the ones... If you are showing any signs of illness... [blah blah blah] ...DO NOT ENTER.

I mean, we are in the height of summer. Whatever that kid has, he/she didn't get it from school and he/she got it in spite of unprecedented social distancing, so I'd say there was a pretty good chance that kid's parents are directly responsible for infecting people during a pandemic. Even if it is just a normal cold (doubtful), we damn-sure don't need to be adding to the healthcare load with other respiratory infections right now. Those parents deserve a slap in the face... or much worse. It's hard to top that level of irresponsibility. It's as if they are doing everything possible to spread it to as many as they can and don't even care that subsequent people will die as a result if their kid does have it.

Kid is sick? STAY TF HOME, MORONS!

There is a Goodwill next to my favored liquor store here in town. Watching the people go in and out I would not go in there for a million dollars. Absolutely not. Nope.

The booze shop requires masks, has distancing markers, all workers are masked and carefully maintain distance, hand sanitizer, Plexiglas shields at the resisters, signs asking you not to browse, and they only allow one person per party in the story to shop. Amazing country to inhabit where they are one of the most responsible retailers I've seen.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
There is a Goodwill next to my favored liquor store here in town. Watching the people go in and out I would not go in there for a million dollars. Absolutely not. Nope.

The booze shop requires masks, has distancing markers, all workers are masked and carefully maintain distance, hand sanitizer, Plexiglas shields at the resisters, signs asking you not to browse, and they only allow one person per party in the story to shop. Amazing country to inhabit where they are one of the most responsible retailers I've seen.

The same shopping plaza has a Habitat for Humanity "Re:Store" thrift store that I believe requires masks and enforces an almost ridiculously low occupancy number... like if Lowe's or Home Depot only allowed three or four people in the entire store.

Another Goodwill nearby requires masks and has a similar occupancy restriction to Re:Store, but not this Goodwill. This one does do temperature checks at the door, limits entrances, and keeps the main door open, but that's about it.

I told the employee at the door that I was leaving because it was really crowded and someone was clearly sick and coughing back there. It didn't seem like they understood that someone needs to do something about it. The signs on the door are supposed to give shoppers some peace of mind that Goodwill is taking measures to ensure safe and responsible operation, but I sure wasn't feeling reassured when it seemed they didn't even care.

Reactions: K1052

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It’s like 102F with 40% humidity and people here are wearing masks to walk around the neighborhood. Glad to see people taking this deadly serious because it is.

Reactions: Scarpozzi
Mar 11, 2004
i wear n95 everywhere i go now

I just can't do that knowing health care workers are still having trouble sourcing that level of mask. So I'll just wear cloth mask and social distance.

It’s like 102F with 40% humidity and people here are wearing masks to walk around the neighborhood. Glad to see people taking this deadly serious because it is.

I was pleased to see when stopping at a convenient store a night or two after I saw like 25% of people wearing masks, that I think everyone I saw was wearing one. It was a different part of town, but still was nice to see. And its staying 95-100F at night here in Phoenix (hitting about 115 during the day).

I was not pleased when the workers putting in the new A/C in my apartment weren't wearing masks. Especially when they did something that left a strong smell (think it was from them having to cut some of the old one out or was from soldering wiring or something) which can't be good to breath (they were in the A/C space - so fairly enclosed). Even without a pandemic I'd think it'd be smart to wear a mask while doing that because of all the dust and bacteria that is going to be in an old A/C unit. Also was surprised they didn't at least ask if we'd had COVID or symptoms. The maintenance guys do at least (and they wore gloves as well).

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
My Oncologist told me yesterday that the Italian version of the virus landed in Boston in Jan, the Wuhan version infected those at the BioGen conferenc. We now have a third, mutated versio, incubation period of up to 30 days, supposedly a little less lethal.

I go to work, I go home, I go for cancer treatment & one emergency dental appointment...trying to plan the safest time to get two bad teeth extracted.

The constant donning & doffing of PPE, the endless hand washing, finding good sanitizer...hand washing my cloth masks.... the constant worry & anxiety....I must confess, I am tired.

I am also afraid each time I must gently remind someone to pull the mask up over their nose. I am polite, put it in terms of protecting their health but actually worry somebody might shoot me for just doing what my employer has asked of me.

Make a large badge (and get it laminated) saying "I'm fighting cancer and have compromised immune system, please wear a mask." And on the back have "Thank you!" Or maybe a T shirt. So this way you can just show that.

Reactions: Geekbabe

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Make a large badge (and get it laminated) saying "I'm fighting cancer and have compromised immune system, please wear a mask." And on the back have "Thank you!" Or maybe a T shirt. So this way you can just show that.
that is a great idea but some people get mad, I have had more than one person tell me to stay home & several get right in my face & ask me “ why is protecting your health my responsibility?” Arguing with patients is sooo not good & I won’t go there.

My job is the main desk receptionist at a hospital, I am the 1st impression a patient gets of our facility. Tact, warmth and a cheerful willingness to help are key here. In this crisis, that means getting you checked in as quickly and safely as possible. It’s all about them, not about me.

I try to phrase my concerns around the patient’s well being “ We are very cautious I know but we care for you & want you to stay healthy” if they complain after that I give them my name, supervisor’s info. If you get actually abusive security and/ or the police are coming, fortunately it hasn’t come to that yet.

btw, I give Medical people no shiat whatsoever when I go for medical care....all of those people are risking their lives to try to help me!

Last edited:

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I just can't do that knowing health care workers are still having trouble sourcing that level of mask. So I'll just wear cloth mask and social distance.

I was pleased to see when stopping at a convenient store a night or two after I saw like 25% of people wearing masks, that I think everyone I saw was wearing one. It was a different part of town, but still was nice to see. And its staying 95-100F at night here in Phoenix (hitting about 115 during the day).

I was not pleased when the workers putting in the new A/C in my apartment weren't wearing masks. Especially when they did something that left a strong smell (think it was from them having to cut some of the old one out or was from soldering wiring or something) which can't be good to breath (they were in the A/C space - so fairly enclosed). Even without a pandemic I'd think it'd be smart to wear a mask while doing that because of all the dust and bacteria that is going to be in an old A/C unit. Also was surprised they didn't at least ask if we'd had COVID or symptoms. The maintenance guys do at least (and they wore gloves as well).

I work in a hospital, because I have cancer I was given a bag with five white 3M N95’s, teal N95’s are saved for ICU, direct covid care. In my bag are also labels & 5 paper bags. I use each mask, put a label with the date on the band & write the date on the bag, after I use each mask once I start again with the first bag & reuse the mask. I get a good seal but the bands are stapled to the mask & dig into my face. I need to get face tape to stop that from happening. These masks are only for work, they are used, doffed for lunch, put back on, placed in their paper bag & locked up in my desk when I leave, then I sanitize my hands and put on a cloth mask with carbon filter to leave.

In MA, you can’t be in a store without a mask, yet I still see people coming into the hospital with no mask, we give out cloth masks donated by the community, temp check, health questions & hand sanitizer are part of coming to the hospital.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Must be a slow news day, Trump wears a mask, and it made the news. lmao.
I actually saw news reports anticipating that he would finally wear a mask when visiting Walter Reid Memorial Hospital. With leaks like that it was clearly a meticulously arranged thing designed for the media to notice.